PDA

View Full Version : Protest Info Buy Nothing Day 25th Nov 2006

Skully
10-11--2006, 02:51 PM
http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/
This site pretty much explains it all.

wiggy
10-11--2006, 02:56 PM
But thats on a saturday - does it include beer?

HappyHippy
10-11--2006, 03:08 PM
I gotta say this really cracked me up - they make it sound like it's sooo difficult to go 24 hours without buying anything, but I do this on any normal day without giving it a second thought. I only go shopping once a month. Whoever dreamed this up never lived on an a wee island lol

shaun
10-11--2006, 03:13 PM
sounds like a cool idea. i'll be joining in.

Dan
10-11--2006, 03:15 PM
same, i dont think itll be that difficult either

kali
10-11--2006, 03:45 PM
No problem whatsoever. No cash to buy anything anyway..

Seriously though it is a great campaign which I support every year. I vote for "Buy Nothing Christmas" - the hideous, compulsive, conspicuous over-consumption at this time of year really sickens me. :mad:

s0ck
10-11--2006, 03:54 PM
But thats on a saturday - does it include beer?
buy it the day before and stay home.

Vital Spark
10-11--2006, 11:18 PM
Heck! I hate shopping of any kind. Avoid it like the plague almost every day even for food. My daughter loves shopping but in charity shops: even that's too much for me.

I know folk who talk about doing some "Shopping Therapy" Jings tae hang! It's therapy they need all right.

Vital Spark
10-11--2006, 11:20 PM
I gotta say this really cracked me up - they make it sound like it's sooo difficult to go 24 hours without buying anything, but I do this on any normal day without giving it a second thought. I only go shopping once a month. Whoever dreamed this up never lived on an a wee island lol

Hmmm, I was brought up on an island: maybe that's why I hate shopping. Even hated it when I lived in London and Glasgow though. I designed and made my own clothes, when I was young, rather than go shopping for them.

Little Mouse
11-11--2006, 12:12 AM
I dont think this will be a huge deal ... I hate shopping at the best of times .. and as Im now a university student I have even more incentive to save money ...

Bluebell
23-11--2006, 08:44 PM
I have two kids and I hate shopping ! But for some reason they keep growing, eating and the there is Christmas coming....

I only shop once a week ... so buy nothing day is 6 days a week here....:D

stormypagan
23-11--2006, 08:52 PM
It's a good idea for the over indulgent and if we are talking multi nationals but we only shop every few weeks too, and that is usually food shopping for a growing family of five :)

Bluebell
23-11--2006, 08:56 PM
It's a good idea for the over indulgent and if we are talking multi nationals but we only shop every few weeks too, and that is usually food shopping for a growing family of five :)

How on earth do you keep fruit and veg fresh between shops ? I can manage shopping for dry stuff once a month but every week I go and get fresh things....

Jinkleberry
23-11--2006, 09:04 PM
Does buy nothing day include buying drinks from restaurants, because my workplace is having it's Christmas party on Saturday, I've already paid for the meal but drinks aren't included, so it might be difficult for me to avoid buying them. Unless I can persuade someone else to buy them all for me! Hehe.

But anyway, otherwise I don't think it's difficult to go a day without buying anything - I haven't bought anything since Sunday, and that was only because I was making up a shoebox full of gifts to send to a child abroad who otherwise wouldn't get a present this Christmas - sometimes i can go several weeks without buying anything. Although I admit my Mum does all of my food shopping.

But anyway, I think a 'buy nothing week' would be a better idea, I'm sure most people go a day without buying things quite often??

hazy daisy
23-11--2006, 09:44 PM
Impossible! i'm going to see a band on saturday and I'll have to pay to go in and buy my drinks, but if it only means don't go to the shops I mite manage it as I hate going to the shops on a weekend anyway http://omniforum.psypix.net/forum/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

HappyHippy
23-11--2006, 11:00 PM
How on earth do you keep fruit and veg fresh between shops ? I can manage shopping for dry stuff once a month but every week I go and get fresh things....

I wonder if you would feel the same way if you had to drive 40+ miles, much of it on winding singlr track roads in a poor state of repair in places, and get an expensive ferry to get to the shops? There are good reasons why I only go shopping about once a month - it ain't ideal, but there are many compensting benefits to living where I do. To me the very suggestion that spending a day without buying anything (including drinks!!) poses any kind of challenge is just laughable.

Skully
23-11--2006, 11:45 PM
I think this is meant more in a symbolistic way than people saying it would be hard not to shop for one day. They are trying to highlight how tightly the consumer culture has got a hold of this country.

mooka
24-11--2006, 11:58 AM
lol i posted 'buy nothing day' as an event at my uni and got this reply.....

"Hey big spenders. I prefer monetary relationships. They facilitate the human kind - i.e. paying for dinner so girls will think you're chivalrous and not a cheap dirty hippy; paying for sex etc... Where would be without money THEN? "No buying stuff day" is not extreme, it won't make you better people and it certainly wont make a difference. You'll just use the stuff you bought yesterday! It'll definately make you smug though. It may also appease your conscience until the next time you remember that for all your anti-consumerism, anti cocacola/nestly angst (cos OMG do you KNOW how badly they treat their trade unions) everytime you like just totally have a spliff and a chill, or hit a warehouse party monged off your tits on acid or pills or whatever you're contributing to the most exploitative industry on this planet. YOU DONT MATTER! deal with it. And consume. It makes you feel naughty..."

Little Mouse
24-11--2006, 12:50 PM
Turns out Ill be kayaking all day tomorrow down a river in wales .... so Ill struggle to buy anything anyway!

(Not that I shop a lot anyway - prefer to make stuff myself or recycle if I can)

stormypagan
24-11--2006, 01:10 PM

We put it in the fridge.... and they lasts ages... we have two fridge freezers coz when I got together with Stonesy we already had stuff like that each...but it is good coz we have a growing family and it keeps stuff fresh for ages especially as we are out in the sticks :0) I do a once a month shop and just top up the veggies and fruit through the month :0)

Plus through the summer we grow our own veggies :0)

Hydroxic Acid Boy
24-11--2006, 05:33 PM
But I'm nearly out of pot!:hippy:

Hydroxic Acid Boy
24-11--2006, 05:34 PM
And it's pay day.

starpoi
24-11--2006, 07:33 PM
I would love to not buy anything tomorrow but I haven't had any money for over a week and have been living on the last few bits of food in my kitchen cupboards.

Tomorrow I get money which means I can eat again and its not dodgy old pasta with out-of-date tinned tomatoes on it!

Power_13
25-11--2006, 04:17 AM
There's already a thread about this in the Chatterbox here (http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10553&page=3). I don't think either need closing, as this one is informing people, and the one in Chatterbox involves discussion of the event...as per both forums' descriptions.

little d
25-11--2006, 10:54 AM
I buy fresh veg everyday from the knockdown section in asda ! if you go in after 3pm the reduce it all even further and it's usually full of the expensive organic veg!as well! Yesterday got massive lump of organic ginger 45P very firm still 2 sweet red peppers also organic 49p organic courgettes x3 49p ! It's also excellant for mushrooms shitake oyster button flat and portobello all still fresh last for 1/2 the week and a quarter of the usual price! Fresh sweetcorn 2 heads 40p!:wiggle: :waves:

Jinkleberry
25-11--2006, 01:58 PM
Starpoi - this is off-topic, but I just had to say that your kitten is adorable!!!!

Bluebell
27-11--2006, 09:54 AM
We put it in the fridge.... and they lasts ages... we have two fridge freezers coz when I got together with Stonesy we already had stuff like that each...but it is good coz we have a growing family and it keeps stuff fresh for ages especially as we are out in the sticks :0) I do a once a month shop and just top up the veggies and fruit through the month :0)

Thanks ! I wondered how you did it..I am just in the process of building a veg growing area in my new garden so hopefully by next summer will be able to grow more than we did last summer. Think I need a bigger fridge too......must get organised !!!!:hippy:

Bluebell
27-11--2006, 09:54 AM

Thanks ! I wondered how you did it..I am just in the process of building a veg growing area in my new garden so hopefully by next summer will be able to grow more than we did last summer. Think I need a bigger fridge too......must get organised !!!!:hippy:

Jinkleberry
27-11--2006, 12:35 PM
So, does anyone admit to buying something on Saturday?

I admit I bought drinks at the Christmas party when all of the free mulled wine ran out.:o

Dan
27-11--2006, 02:41 PM
I slept in for most of day, reading and feeling sorry for myself so conveiniantly avoided buying anything on friday and saturday.

Eden Dub
27-11--2006, 08:42 PM
No problem whatsoever. No cash to buy anything anyway..

Seriously though it is a great campaign which I support every year. I vote for "Buy Nothing Christmas" - the hideous, compulsive, conspicuous over-consumption at this time of year really sickens me. :mad:

so I can keep the present I got for you then , eh ?

Eden Dub
27-11--2006, 08:47 PM
I had a really good party on the 25th and still managed not to actually part with any wonga

Does using petrol count ?

kali
29-11--2006, 05:09 PM
so I can keep the present I got for you then , eh ?

No. Not at all. That's different. You'll have given careful consideration to what you know I'd like, instead of just buying any old crap 'cos you feel you have to.

Probably.

slightly mad angus
04-12--2006, 01:54 AM
No. Not at all. That's different. You'll have given careful consideration to what you know I'd like, instead of just buying any old crap 'cos you feel you have to.

Probably.

probably... :)