PDA

View Full Version : Buying food cheaply

Kat
19-11--2005, 06:57 PM
Hey,
Thought id start a little thread about where to get good value vegie and vegan food?
Does anyone know where I could buy tofu cheaply, especially in london?
i love the stuff but its so expensive at supermarkets...
Also nuts and seeds, where do you get yours from?

thankyou
kat xx

random_spontaneosity
19-11--2005, 07:48 PM
today i went into cardiff and took a trip into a shop called beanfreaks... and i brought loads of stuff so much more cheaper than in tesco, loads of cauldron stuff and alpro soya stuff and vegan cheese (didnt buy any though, but iwll do some time) and they sold everything a veggie/vegan could want excpet fruit and veg...

so ive decided supermarkets suck.

so look for places like that i guess...

oh i dont know why i replied to your thread coz it doesnt help you at all :(

Flibbertigibbet
20-11--2005, 05:31 PM
A good way to keep down your shopping bills is to start a local co operative and buy collectively in bulk and split the produce :wiggle:

stardust
20-11--2005, 05:31 PM
depending on how much time you have and how much you like cooking, a good way i've discovered of cutting the food bill is to just cook everything from scratch and not spend money on any ready made stuff.

i discovered this when i moved and suddenly the nearest shop to me was a fruit and veg shop and the supermarket was miles away so i just went there out of laziness.

at first i hated cooking everything myself, coz it's much easier to just open a tin of soup and simmer it for five minutes, rather than chop all the veg, cook them and mash them etc. but after a while i started to enjoy it, then after another little while i noticed that my food bill was down quite a bit.

i calculated it once and the meals i was preparing were generally no more than 75p per person, though i was cooking for more than one, which makes a difference.

it's probably worthwhile checking out any healthfood stores nearby, and any organic shops. i really like farm shops aswell.

there's a shop in bath (where i am) that's a health food shop, and they have big dispensing machines for nuts/pulses/rice etc so you only have to buy as much as you need. i thought that was a pretty good idea!

anyways, good luck with your search.

peace and love
stardust
xxx

Dapablo
21-11--2005, 01:48 PM
In London, I'd check out the Asian supermarkets.

Exedous
05-01--2006, 10:17 AM
London, iv no idea about, but in Glasgow...check out Dumbarton Road, in Patick, they have a few good shops, that sell a good range of veg*n food. Plus if youre feeling a little rich, there is Grassroots, they are exellent, but only on pay day..

Ghost

Aunty Al
05-01--2006, 12:06 PM
I tend to go to Indian or Chinese 'supermarkets' in Liverpool cos they're much cheaper than our supermarkets or health food shops. For veggies & fruit though I don't think you can beat going to the market, especially near closing on a Saturday. You can usually haggle with the stall owners and once they get to know you they tend to be rather generous with quantities anyway.

Atomik
06-01--2006, 08:38 AM
Oooh, Mattas?

Aunty Al
06-01--2006, 12:11 PM
Oh yeah, Mattas! You know it makes sense. One of my absolutely fave shops. There are a few chinese supermarkets further into the chinese quarter that do some good stuff too, but with all the roadworks and building work I'm not sure what still where

Atomik
06-01--2006, 12:15 PM
I used to do most of my shopping on Bold St. when I lived in Liverpool many years ago. Between Mattas, the wholefood shop and the veg stall.... everything covered!

out_of_my_tree
06-01--2006, 01:48 PM
You are very unlikly to get what you go for, but skipping is the cheapest option i can think of. It is also very fun and full of surprises. :)

magic tea
10-01--2006, 01:40 AM
Are you at uni? My uni has a co-operative that sells a lot of veggie/vegan products cheaply and fairly, as well as beans, seeds, pulses etc.