PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Jenni Curry!

John
02-12--2006, 08:05 PM
Jenni Curry!
This is a curry designed for Jennis mum, its quite a thin curry and its mild - changing the amounts of the ingredients could probably change that though.

Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 Courgette
1 Large Onion
1 Tin of black eye beans
1 Pepper
1 tsp of Cumin
1 tsp of ground ginger
1 tsp of ground black pepper
1/2 tsp of tumeric
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1 tbsp of flour
(75g of rice per person)

Preparation:

Cut the pepper into segments and place in a pan, cover the pepper with water, allow to boil then cover and let simmer.
Rise and drain the beans and add to a large pan.
Cube the courgette and fry it slowly until soft and browned. Once done add to the pan.
Finely chop the onion and fry until translucent, once browned add the cumin and fry until browned. Add this to the pan.
Add spices, lemon juice and flour to the pan along with the pepper and the water it was cooked in.
Heat the contents of the pan to boiling point and get the rice on.
Cover the pan once it begins to simmer and cook until the rice is done.

Comments: I usually use tomato/yoghurt as thickners which is why the flour is used - its way too thin otherwise.
No veg stock available (msg) so the addition of the pepper water adds a little extra flavour - its important to only use a little water though - too much and you'll just have soup.
The heat could probably be turned up easily through the use of more/fresh ginger or the use of extra black pepper (or both).
If you have a spice grinder then you could experiment with different colours of pepper corn to vary the flavour.

Anyway, I had this for dinner tonight and its yummy :D

AnnieAnne
03-12--2006, 11:20 AM
Looks good (although I first thought you were going to offer a "cooked Jenni" recipe).

Just a thought about making it creamier/a bit thicker. Do you think adding half a tin of mashed or blended chickpeas would work?

sensamelia
03-12--2006, 12:04 PM
prob would annie
im going to have a go at this so ill let ya know

Whirler
03-12--2006, 12:31 PM
Just a thought about making it creamier/a bit thicker. Do you think adding half a tin of mashed or blended chickpeas would work?How about using coconut milk for the creamier option? Adding more ingredients and less liquid or allowing time for the liquid to evaporate will thicken it.

John
03-12--2006, 01:26 PM
Good ideas :) I didn't realise it wouldn't thicken very well... chickpeas sounds great... I've never tried coconut milk so let me know how that turns out :)

Whirler
03-12--2006, 01:36 PM
Good ideas :) I didn't realise it wouldn't thicken very well... chickpeas sounds great... I've never tried coconut milk so let me know how that turns out :)Well it should thicken with the flour or cornflour. Coconut milk is gorgeous in curries!! Especially Thai curries.

John
03-12--2006, 01:40 PM
I froze half of it so when I defrost it I'll have a go at thickening it with something... I think an extra tsp of ginger mightn't go amiss either but we'll see... I'd certainly like to see if I could get it really hot without chillies.

jenni
05-12--2006, 07:42 PM
ooooooooo!!!!....thanks man!!!...:happydanc

ive showed mothre and we'll have a go at it as soon as we have time to!!!!

by the way please never use me as an ingredient....:D

sensamelia
05-12--2006, 10:28 PM
tried it and its brill i used cornflour to thicken though hunny

PeacePiper
07-12--2006, 09:37 PM
Jenni says you smell!!

she also says thanks :p twas yummy!