PDA

View Full Version : christmas dinner

random_spontaneosity
26-11--2005, 11:32 PM
so treasons been posting loads of threads about turkeys and not eating them and having a vegan xmas.

so i thought, what do you veggies and vegans have for christmas dinner instead of dead birds? if you have christmas dinner that is.

:rolleyes:

for the last few years ive been having quorn roast things, but i never really liked it and its not vegan friendly and im trying not to eat egg and milk right now so im not sure whats gona be on my table at christmas!!!:harhar:

TREASON
27-11--2005, 10:53 AM
you can get them roast things that dont have egg n milk in. they taste as gud. personally i think chikin flavour works the best. the beef ones a bit crap. i think they do em in holland n barret.
thats what ill be having, im not sure where im gonna be for dinner yet though, so i might get a few of them to take with me. cus im not a fan of nut roasts.
i didnt say anything about vegan xmas though. but why join in with the zombies and the mass slaughter of factory farmed animals.
its not very hippy
:harhar:

Whirler
27-11--2005, 11:12 AM
If we cook Dok makes the meanest nut roast IN THE WORLD!!!!! Infact, I never liked nut roasts before we got together but his is amazing. When we've had guests he's usually made 2, a normal mixed nut one and maybe a chestnut one. Fucking yum. :D So usually, that with loads of roast potatoes, roast parsnips, bread sauce (from my childhood) too many veggies to fit on the plate, stuffing, yorkshire pudding, an over-indulgent amount of condiments, e.g. horseradish, apple sauce, cranberry sauce etc plus bucketfuls of homemade gravy! BRING IT ON!!!

Flibbertigibbet
27-11--2005, 11:40 AM
http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/yule.html

http://www.vegparadise.com/cookingwith512.html

http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/crackers.html

Here are some ideas...........I made spicy parsnip soup last year and roasted veggies in filo pastry i think .....this year I will be on the beach and not havign a traditional dinner :D

random_spontaneosity
27-11--2005, 01:59 PM
i didnt say anything about vegan xmas though.

sorry, i did know that, i was just letting my hands type:harhar:

TREASON
27-11--2005, 06:00 PM
If we cook Dok makes the meanest nut roast IN THE WORLD!!!!!
yeah ok, it sounds like a nice dinner, i actually had a nut roast today at hunt sabs benifit meal. and it was pretty nice, but ive been at a protest since 11am and in that time drunk 8 cans of scrumpy, so i guess anythigs gonna taste nice.
ive spent the day as a pissed up bunny dancing round outside a fur shop.

Whirler
27-11--2005, 10:40 PM
ive spent the day as a pissed up bunny dancing round outside a fur shop.Maybe we could roast you for xmas dinner - you're vegan right? :harhar:

Northern Princess
27-11--2005, 10:53 PM
What I want to know is where did this idea of all veggies eat Nut roast for Christmas in 16 years think I had one once when my dad made it bout 10 years ago, and it was pretty good. I always make myself leek pie, think I might try a nutroast this year

random_spontaneosity
28-11--2005, 12:03 AM
i dont like nuts so cant be true!!!

zig zag
28-11--2005, 01:48 AM
As xmas is in the summer down under, my partner and I like to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen so we like to make things which are quick 'n' easy or can be eaten cold. A favourite of ours to eat is Eggplant Parmigiana (I think you call them Aubergine's in England?) which we cook the night before and have cold with lots of decadent salads and Italian bread.

Another good one to make which is really quick, is an asian vegetable stir-fry. We usually add some fake chicken or duck to make it more interesting and we eat it with spring rolls and rice.....yummy! :)

*If you're vegan, for the eggplant parmigiana, you could try using egg replacer instead of real eggs and leave off the parmesan cheese.

Flibbertigibbet
28-11--2005, 08:14 PM
You can get dairy free parmesan here......not fresh the powdery stuff called parezano made by florentino ...is in asda and all other supermarkets too

random_spontaneosity
29-11--2005, 01:48 AM
i'll have to look out for some. i miss parmesan on me pastaaaaa

dreadyfairy
29-11--2005, 10:01 AM
We have a big fat pie:D puff pastry with lots of vegtables in and home made of course mmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm.Altho this is vegy freindly only.

x x x

zig zag
29-11--2005, 12:00 PM
You can get dairy free parmesan here......not fresh the powdery stuff called parezano made by florentino ...is in asda and all other supermarkets too

Thanx for mentioning the brand name! That helped me to track down a company on the net that sells it.....yippee :)

TREASON
29-11--2005, 12:12 PM
is it any good??
is it as disgusting as normal parmizan??

Chegzy
29-11--2005, 12:16 PM
is parmesan that nasty foot crust cheese?

TREASON
29-11--2005, 12:29 PM
it smells like sick, thats what i remember about it.

Dapablo
29-11--2005, 01:34 PM

Heathens. :)

Don't know about dinner yet, but the Christmas cake has been on the go for 3 weeks now.

zig zag
30-11--2005, 04:58 AM

Only that horrible stuff made by companies like Kraft smells like sick or sweaty socks. Proper parmesan made in the Italian tradition doesn't.

Sarah
30-11--2005, 07:50 AM
Last year my mum made a vegetarian indian banquet for christmas dinner. She spent lots of time with her head in her Madhur Jaffri cook book and lots of money on ingredients and then no time at all in the kitchen on christmas day.. it was delicious!!!
Years past she has made her own nut roasts for me which have also been completely delicious and based on a home made stuffing recipe but with added nuts n stuff.

stormypagan
30-11--2005, 04:11 PM
Yup, I always do a nut roast with all the trimmings and it is yum yum yum!!

So easy to make just bung a load of whatever you like in a mixer with the nuts and bread and Bobs your uncle!! I have never followed a recipe I just go for it with whatever I can find like carrots, garlic, herbs, onions bread and mixed nuts!! All mixed up in my old faithful magi mix, then put it in a tin and bake in tut oven!!

Then make a super duper mushroom, garlic and onion gravy, roast potatoes, as many different veggies as I can muster etc.. etc..

Oh goddess I am hungry now hehehe!!

Going to make a vegan christmas cake soon too, and mincy pies etc..

Ok I am not a religious person in respect of christmas, with all the gods bollocks stuff but I do like doing some of the tradditional stuff, and it's nice for the kids to a certain extent!!

Exedous
29-12--2005, 07:40 PM
On Xmas day i had a vegan chinese take away. It was 100% vegan...bless them, theyre really good.

Boxing day i ad a cashew roast with roast tatties, brussels sprouts, mash tatties, carrots, with a sage and onion white sauce.

Yummy...

Ghost

Whirler
30-12--2005, 01:38 PM
My xmas dinner was cooked by a genius! My mum's kitchen is quite small, facilities wise she has a small gas cooker with 4 rings (:eek:) and 3 shelves in the oven plus a microwave. She had pre-cooked a cashew and mushroom nut loaf which just needed reheating and a lot of the other pre-cooked stuff was due to be done in the micorwave. However, the microwave blew up just before it was needed :D So, my brother's boyfriend cooked the nut roast, veggie gravy, meat gravy, roast parsnips, roast potatoes (and the same for meat eaters in animal fat) celariac and potato mash, artichoke mash, carrots, brocoli, brussels rolled in chestnut puree and cream and a huge turkey for the omnis :rolleyes: . The veg was cooked to perfection and everything was hot! How the fuck did he manage all of that? There was no stress, no swearing, no nothing, the man is a genius! Needless to say it was very very good and strangely, no particular smell of meat - bizarre!

Starling
30-12--2005, 10:47 PM
For Xmas dinner i had: Roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots, and sweet potatoe, turnip, sprouts, Quorn roast (with mixed herbs rubbed into it), stuffing, cranberry sauce, and gravy... yum! :D

Whirler
31-12--2005, 10:02 AM
Who says veggies have boring food?!? :wiggle:

random_spontaneosity
31-12--2005, 01:16 PM
i had... well, i took one of the recipies from one of the sites someone posted on here (flibbertigibbet i just went back and looked, thank you for those!), then i completely changed it so um, yeah... basically it was like vol-au-vents with mushroomy stuff in but i cooked to much mushroom stuff so it took me a few days to eat up (bit like the rest of the family and their turkey)...

ok and i had roast potatoes and sprouts and carrots and stuffing and gravy and bread sauce... oh and a leek.

gona do it again on monday but not the mushroom things coz we have 5 people coming round for dinner! so to save space and time and manicness im gona have just a simple frozen feta cheese and spinach pasty puff thing that they sell in tesco and i cannot get enough of.