PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Eats Fish???

Exedous
30-11--2005, 03:02 AM
Where the f**k, in the veggie bible, doth it state that when thou becometh a veggie, thou shall still eat f***ng MEAT??? :frust:

"ye....im a veggie, like i toooootally care for animals man, but ye like i still eat fish and chicken...but i want HELP animals, ye i feel a total at one with them man.." :mad:

FUCK OF YOU STUPID TWAT!!! :mad:

Arrrrrrrrr, sorry for my rant....f****ng white veggies" aaaarrrr :(

Ghost

Dapablo
30-11--2005, 10:04 AM
Double standards can be infuriating. I believe you are right ghost, you can't proclaim affinity with animals and then eat them, though I can rationalise their only feeling empathy for cuddly mammals, perhaps understandable in it's own way, I imagine thats where most veg'ism starts from.

Joel
30-11--2005, 11:04 AM
hmm, this guy i know keeps asking me if i eat fish

well annoying, what part of i dont eat meat dont you understand etc etc

Dapablo
30-11--2005, 11:24 AM

Just rude if he keeps on asking I agree, but can we explore ?

Is it not possible for someone to decide that to eat mammals is unethical, but at the same time decide that fish and birds are consumable.

For a rational, say, everything we eat is alive so a line has to be drawn somewhere we all eat something that was once alive. So plants are ok, invertebrates ? probably, fish, well they have no interest in thier offspring, probably no emotion other than preservative fear so yes. Birds though do care for their offspring, and therefore have a more developed emotional base, though maybe not quite big enough, bit trickier to argue.

Joel
30-11--2005, 11:37 AM
definitely, you could take the argument from personhood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personhood#Are_all_persons_human.3F)from Peter Singer. Where only intelligent animals that are aware of their own existence and have a certain amount of more than natural will to perpetuate their own existence are persons, obviously this brings in lots of little problems, such as "are humans still warrant of fair treatment when asleep" etc, but if you just look at the animal argument, a cat would not be a "person" arguably, because it is not aware of its own existence, however many would argue that a large amount of primates, and then animals like dolphins are. So to eat or kill an animal which shares a common trait with ourselves, such as a knowledge of ourselves, and our family connections, in a more than natural sense would be immoral?

However eating a cow would not, because it is for all intents and purposes a movable plant?

just to edge this slightly, if an alien came down from space, and was at the same level of ability and intelligence as humans, why would we automatically consider it unethical to eat it, it isn’t human, and it is about as separate to us as a cow or sheep, yet we do not consider eating these to be unethical...is therefore intelligence a boundary maker between food and non food, rather than physicality

Dapablo
30-11--2005, 12:05 PM
The base criteria is as I see it, if it can communicate with you, then you don't eat it, thats why the alien angle fails. We can also look into the eyes of mammals and feel commonion, not the same with fish or fowl.

Chegzy
30-11--2005, 12:44 PM
I was a veggie when i was younger but still ate fish, was in a catholic school and brainwashed into thinking because Jesus was a fiherman i could eat fish!?!?

Dapablo
30-11--2005, 12:50 PM
I was a veggie when i was younger but still ate fish, was in a catholic school and brainwashed into thinking because Jesus was a fiherman i could eat fish!?!?

Sounds like the program failed then. Taught maybe ?
And you can't eat fish ? :)

Chegzy
30-11--2005, 12:55 PM
Sounds like the program failed then. Taught maybe ?
And you can't eat fish ? :)
Yeah taught i should of said.I had a load of wierd teachings at that shool and i feel like i was brainwashed. What it was is that when i was about 8 i decided i didnt want to eat meat anymore, was on school dinners and when they threw fish fingers on my plate i can remember saying i was a vegetarian and being told that jesus was a fisherman, he killed fish so it was ok for me to eat them, and then getting the whole bread and fish story.

crap muppet
01-12--2005, 09:04 AM

well annoying, what part of i dont eat meat dont you understand etc etc

I had something slightly similar at work...

work mate says 'can you get me a vegetarian sandwich'... actually no. a prawn sandwich.

I go ?????

Then penny drops: She only eats Halal meat but you can't halal slaughter prawns and fish now can you! :insane:

Joel
01-12--2005, 01:15 PM
Then penny drops: She only eats Halal meat but you can't halal slaughter prawns and fish now can you! :insane:

hahahaha

i'd love to see them try

Exedous
02-12--2005, 04:41 PM
I went for a meal yesterday, with my M8, the script goes like this

Me: Hi have you got anything vegan on the menu?
Waiteress: Vegan???
Me: Ye, means nothing from animals...plant based.
Waiteress: {Stares blankly at me} Hmmmm...i'll ask....are eggs ok?
Me: No...i dont eat meat, fish, dairy, egges..i only eat plants!!
Waitress..{stares again} Be back in a minute.

10 minutes passed.....tum te tum

Waiteress: The chef said he'll make you something vegan.
Me: Thank you.

20 mins pass...tum te tum

Waitress: here you go..enjoy.
Me, sorry i cant eat this
Waitress: Why not?
Me: Its got f***ng meat and cheese.
Waitress: {nearly in tears..bless her} sorry, but our chef is a F***ng twat.
Me: look its cool, dont worry...
Waitress: hold on....
Chef: whats wrong with your food??
Me, im a vegan, i eat plants
Chef: Right well im sorry, i cant cook vegan food
Me {silence}
Waiteress {silence}
My M8 {silence}

We got a refund, left, with the waitress, {she packed her job in}, and went to my M8's flat and ate thier.

sorry i cant cook vegan food

Hahahahahahahah...Ghost

Whirler
04-12--2005, 06:46 PM
Just rude if he keeps on asking I agree, but can we explore ?

Is it not possible for someone to decide that to eat mammals is unethical, but at the same time decide that fish and birds are consumable.

Perhaps because the term 'vegetarian' is a description of a diet that doesn't consist of any flesh. You can go back thousands of years and it's been the same. It can be confusing if people don't know as there are lots of people who do eat fish but still call themselves vegetarians. But it's a different issue to your second paragraph. I'm guessing that's deliberate. :D

littlesausage
04-12--2005, 07:22 PM
at least he stopped eating some animals .. y should he be labelled ... :rolleyes: u either are a veggie or u arent?? ..u are either bad or good??? :rolleyes:

What???

there are tons of things u can do that help animals without stopping eating meat .. i eat meat and i feel bad .. i was brought up to be a veggie but i have allergies and in order to stay vaguely healthy i eat meat occasionally .. i dont like it and try to buy free range.

sorry im ranting now too! fair enough he is being a bit silly but give him some cred for cutting some things out xxxx :hippy:

Atomik
04-12--2005, 07:25 PM
Of course it's great if people cut down on their meat. More power to them. But they're not vegetarians. The other problem is that when people like that call themselves vegetarians, it affects people's conceptions of what it means to be vegetarian. Next thing you know, you're ordering a veggie pizza only to find it has tuna on it. And if you think this is an exaggeration, Somerfield now label their tuna sandwiches as veggie.

Whirler
04-12--2005, 11:43 PM
at least he stopped eating some animals .. y should he be labelled ... :rolleyes: u either are a veggie or u arent?? ..u are either bad or good??? :rolleyes:

What???

there are tons of things u can do that help animals without stopping eating meat .. i eat meat and i feel bad .. i was brought up to be a veggie but i have allergies and in order to stay vaguely healthy i eat meat occasionally .. i dont like it and try to buy free range.

sorry im ranting now too! fair enough he is being a bit silly but give him some cred for cutting some things out xxxx :hippy:Personally I don't think it's about judging people (although C-ghost may be :whistle:). Vegetarianism is a specific diet. It's important that people understand what it entails in order for those who follow the diet to be catered for. If someone was Coeliac and said they were following a coeliac diet, would they then not contradict themselves if they ate wheat? You wouldn't say 'oh well, you shouldn't really label them' would you? Why is there a difference between someone who has an allergy or follows a particular religious path and someone who chooses a flesh free diet? It's as Dok says - when it comes to food it's important to understand the labels.

Dapablo
05-12--2005, 12:08 AM
A person labeling themselves a "Vegetrian" cannot eat flesh.

At the same time someone can be an ethical consumer to varying degrees, just don't call yourself a vegetarian if you ain't.

Exedous
05-12--2005, 12:43 AM
A person labeling themselves a "Vegetrian" cannot eat flesh.

At the same time someone can be an ethical consumer to varying degrees, just don't call yourself a vegetarian if you ain't.

I agree, its becoming almost cool to be veggie now, but still eat fish, but chicken...that i cant understand!!! Chicken is meaty meat....Hmmm maybe im just picky...my friend calls me a vegan snob!!! Hmmm maybe i am one.

Ghost

Chazz
05-12--2005, 01:13 PM
It would be strange to hear someone saying they're vegetarian while tucking into sardines or chicken legs, but I can see it might help as a label if you're sorting out a party.

"Geoff, what have you served me, I thought my boyfriend told you I don't eat meat"
"Oh shit, sorry Anna, I thought he meant you don't give blowjobs"

Chegzy
05-12--2005, 01:28 PM
its becoming almost cool to be veggie now

I think thats great if it is cool, if a trend is set off it should at least hit the market and make them look for other income oppertunties.
The more popular it is the less animals slauightered, and the more options available for vegetarians due to high demand!

littlesausage
01-01--2006, 10:17 AM
Soz guess i got the wrong end of the stick there.

All Im saying is don't slate people for not cutting it out entirely, you never know they might go fully fledged veggie if u leave them to their own devices (and you never know if another would be veggie is listening/reading)

They might take comments like that to heart and think sod it, then carry on eating pork chops!

Fair enough it sucks that you have problems with food when you go out

... maybe you could start some sort of organisation with veggie membership you could have cards and contact restuarants to find out if they cook proper veggie, get a website on the go or post details on here

If the idea got off the ground Somerfields's would be dying to get on to it ... anything to look good.

littlesausage
01-01--2006, 10:25 AM
One thing that really gets to me is the amount of meat wasted in shops .. they stack up their shelves to make them look good with no thought that half of it will get chucked in the end

All those animals that died not even to be eaten ... I dont like animals being slaughtered to beeaten but it's even worse when its just to be thrown in the bin

Thats the lowest form of respect

wiggy
01-01--2006, 01:10 PM
I was a veggie when in my younger days lol and i didnt eat fish or chicken as i believe that they are still animals - well they have a brain and heart si they are.

Im not anymore though - im still a animal lover and things.

monkey monkey
03-01--2006, 05:47 PM
I met someone on the bus once who said that they were veggie. By the end of the conversation, they told me that their favourite meal was 'whtie chicken'. I thought it may have been a 'fake' chicken dish, but no. Meat & bones and everything.

wierdo.

Count Casual
03-01--2006, 06:53 PM
I'd be a veggie if I had to kill the animal or catch the fish myself, couldn't hack that :eek:

Maybe it's just cowardice?

I do know that it's bloody difficult to keep to a veggie diet if you travel around a lot and eat in restaurants, as Ghost knows.... A Hindu mate of mine manages it though, all credit to him!

moominmamma
03-01--2006, 08:45 PM
I had a friend to stay before Christmas, I cook two options most night ( veggie and non-veggie ), as she told me she was a vegetarian, I didn't give her any chicken curry....was kind of surprised when she asked for some:rolleyes:

Turns out for her vegetarian means no red meat.....but chicken and fish are okay:whistle: It did make me smile, I don't call myself a vegetarian, as I eat fish....but she a " vegetarian" was eating more meat than me.....

cherrymushroom
03-01--2006, 10:14 PM
Somerfield now label their tuna sandwiches as veggie.

Seriously?? That's ridiculous!!!!!

Atomik
03-01--2006, 10:32 PM
Seriously?? That's ridiculous!!!!!Innit just. With no legal definition of veggie though, what can ya do? :wall:

Barefoot_Surfer
05-01--2006, 12:19 PM
Innit just. With no legal definition of veggie though, what can ya do? :wall:

The EU are normally strict on laws regarding labeling of products. For instance sparkling wine can only be called champagne if it comes from a particular region of France. They were considering passing laws which would ment chocolate in the UK couldn't be called chocolate because of the vegetable fats which are added to increase shelf life (Actually it is something I agree with). It would be good if there is was a legal definition of the term vegetarian. Anyone serving fish dishes under the guise of vegetarian could then have their butt sued.
Matt