• 2 tsp yeast extract dissolved in 3 tbsp boiling water
• 200g pack of filo pastry
• 50g/2oz butter, melted

Cranberry & Orange sauce:
• 225g/8oz frozen/fresh cranberries
• Finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
• 3 tbsp port
• 175g/6oz caster sugar

Preheat oven to 190C/Fan 170C/Gas 5. Preheat grill to high. Spread out hazelnuts on a baking tray; grill until browned. Cool; roughly chop. Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan. Fry onions for 3 mins. Add mushrooms; fry for 2-3 mins. Transfer to bowl.

Stir in hazelnuts, breadcrumbs, tomatoes, parsley & thyme. Heat remaining oil in a pan. Fry chestnuts & garlic for 2-3 mins. Add to bowl. Season. Add eggs & yeast extract; mix.

Lay 2 sheets of filo pastry, over-lapping, on a sheet of baking parchment to make a 30cm by 23cm (12” by 9”) rectangle. Brush lightly with butter. Cover with 2 more sheets; brush with butter. Repeat layering once more. Top with 2 more pastry sheets. Brush edges with butter. Spoon chestnut mixture down middle, leaving a 2.5cm/1” border at each end. Roll up from a long side to enclose the filling, using parchment as a guide. Transfer to a baking sheet.

Brush 2 more pastry sheets with butter; ruffle up; place on roll. Brush with butter (can be covered and chilled overnight at this stage). Bake for 30-35 mins until golden brown (cover the ruffled pastry with foil after 15mins) – I didn’t bother with the ruffled bit, too phaffy!

Cranberry Sauce:
Place cranberries, orange juice and port in a pan. Add 3-4 tbsp water to almost cover berries. Bring to the boil; simmer for 5-6 mins until berries burst. Add sugar and orange rind. Cook over very low heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool.

Enjoy, its superb!

hazy daisy
22-12--2006, 06:48 PM
That looks yummy will have to try it http://omniforum.psypix.net/forum/images/smiles/whacky044[1].gif

Dibdabs
23-12--2006, 03:35 PM
:D I'm going to try and make this for christmas lunch.. I bought all the ingredients today.

I couldn't find vaccum packed chestnuts though and so I bought normals ones and will roast them in the morning...and I couldn't find Hazelnuts so I've bought brazil nuts instead... do you think this will work?

Lots of love xxx

BGG_Owen
23-12--2006, 03:51 PM
:D I'm going to try and make this for christmas lunch.. I bought all the ingredients today.

I couldn't find vaccum packed chestnuts though and so I bought normals ones and will roast them in the morning...and I couldn't find Hazelnuts so I've bought brazil nuts instead... do you think this will work?

Lots of love xxx

Yay! Hope you enjoy it, really is delish with the cranberry port sauce :D

Yeah I cant see why a change of nut would change it all that much. Let me know how it all goes etc...Have done this for past 2 yrs, but this year i think Im going back to basics and going to do an extra snazzy nut roast, try and layer it possibly and use loads of different nuts, mushrooms, carrot, onion, garlic...mmmmm!

Dibdabs
26-12--2006, 08:03 PM
Wow This really was delicious :D ..went perfectly with the sauce....mmmmmm. It was really fun thing to make on christmas day. I've got some left over and am having it for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe:) xxxx

BGG_Owen
26-12--2006, 08:05 PM
Wow This really was delicious :D ..went perfectly with the sauce....mmmmmm. It was really fun thing to make on christmas day. I've got some left over and am having it for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe:) xxxx

Aw wicked, glad you enjoyed it :) yeah i remember loving making the dish and had fair left over, which is always good. The sauce is so tasty aint it!