PDA

View Full Version : a question about eggs

stardust
07-12--2005, 12:29 PM
i have been a strict veggie for about 12 years and am considering becoming vegan.

as a kid i was allergic to dairy anyway, and i'm used to soya products and living without milk, so that aspect of being vegan wont be at all challenging.

the thing with eggs is i quite like them. i haven't eaten battery eggs (knowingly) for years, and i stick to free range organic eggs at the moment. i don't like any form of factory farming but as the chicken doesn't actually die i am struggling with my thoughts on this one.

on the farm where i used to live, the chickens were about as free range as you could get. it was a struggle to drive in and not run them over, coz they were all over the yard and climbing on my caravan box, (sometimes quite noisely when i was trying to sleep!!) they had a huge, light, airy barn and were basically the most spoilt happy chickens i have ever met.

so here's my question - are there any aspects of cruelty in their lives that i wouldn't know about, or any good reason not to eat their eggs?

i do want to be vegan, but my conscience is having a problem finding issues with eating the eggs of hens which i can see with my own eyes are happy and healthy.

if the vegans among you could share your reasons for not eating eggs i would really appreciate it.

peace and love
stardust
xxx

Atomik
07-12--2005, 12:45 PM
I used to keep free range chickens when I was younger, and I can assure you that there's absolutely no cruelty iherent in the production of free range egges - although practices may vary, and free range isn't always free range - so source them yourself if possible. However - and this is a big but - in order to breed the hens to lay the eggs the male chicks will almost always have been killed off.

If you still want eggs, the best way around this is to get yourself a couple of rescued hens. Or quite often battery units will sell off/dispose of chickens that are past their peak laying period. The problem with the last one is that you're financially supporting battery farming (all be it in a very minor way), but if you didn't buy the chickens they'd just get killed off - and it's nice to enable them to see their days out in peace. Moral bloody minefield!

Sarah
07-12--2005, 05:56 PM
If you still want eggs, the best way around this is to get yourself a couple of rescued hens

Yeah check out Bath and Dogs Cats home honey - they quite often have ducks and chickens bein as we live in the middle of somerset. Also check out the Cattle Markets locally ...

Or quite often battery units will sell off/dispose of chickens that are past their peak laying period. The problem with the last one is that you're financially supporting battery farming (all be it in a very minor way), but if you didn't buy the chickens they'd just get killed off - and it's nice to enable them to see their days out in peace. Moral bloody minefield!

Yeah or small holdings unable to keep their hen's.. always ask what they lay like, has their been any disease or viral infection in the coop, ask to see the certification to prove!! Also check that they were good layers before being sold :) If they weren't good layers and that is the reason for sale then ask what conditions they were kept in !! Chances are if they were kept in shit conditions then they weren't layin 'cos they was pissed off - an unhappy hen won't lay well. I personally wouldn't go near a battery hen for the disease factor really and 'cos they are kept in a shed their immune system will have been supressed somewhat and they might be very weak therefore attractin more attention from common predators!! You know how many fox's we got round 'ere chick!!!! :D

If you do get some hens then let us know 'cos Si seen a place doin reasonable roosts the other day quite locally.

Love n Hugs

Sarah xxx

stardust
09-12--2005, 11:44 PM
i'm not really in a position to keep my own chickens. i'm in one place for winter but i'll probably be off again when it gets warm, and it wont be much fun for a chicken to always be on the move, especially not for the festival season when they wont be allowed into festivals anyway.

that is why i have to rely on other places to get my eggs from. i'm not too clued up on the whole process of chicken farming, but the fact that the male chicks have to die so i can have my eggs from the female chicks does seem like a good enough reason for me not to eat them.

are there any other reasons that vegans dont eat eggs? are there any egg substitutes that dont involve animals - like if i want an omlette, are there any other ways of making one?

please share your views on this one with me coz i am still at the not-quite-sure stage!

peace and love
stardust
xxx

stormypagan
10-12--2005, 01:20 AM
As has been said in the production of eggs, obviously we need chickens to provide them and we cant keep all the male chicks (as cockerels are hard to keep and most folk only have need one in their brood). So they are electrocuted having been brutally sorted out on conveyor belts, being chucked from one end of a factory to the other, then electrocuted (which isn't always effective straight away).

Free range may say free range but this is debatable. Some places are called free range but in fact the chickens are still cramped in sheds (although not in cages as such) with only the outside chickens able to get out into the open enclosures. Also this sort of rearing is open to infection etc.. so the chickens have to be feed huge quantities of antibiotics and drugs to stop the spread!! This in turn enters your eggs, and in the case of eating chickens, if they are for human consumption then into the food chain.
Then there is the practice of debeaking which isn't pleasant to stop the hens hurting one and other.
Here is a link from the vegan society which tell you more!!

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/animals/exploitation/hens.php (http://www.vegansociety.com/html/animals/exploitation/hens.php)

You can get egg replacer for cakes and baking etc... But there are loads of recipes that don't need egg. I made a yummy vegan chocolate cake for Stonesys birthday on Wednesday. And you can make scrambled tofu. My friend used to make a tofu and soya milk mix, with bread dipped in to make a vegan version of eggy bread, which is delicious.

Hope this can add to your final decision, good luck with deciding.. I know what I would like you to do but it has to be ultimately your decision!!:)

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX