PDA

View Full Version : Festival Which festival to take my Mum to!?

Hawthorn
27-02--2007, 09:50 PM
I've promised I'll take my Mum to a festival this year :eek: She's in her 60's. I know she'd like the BGG but can't make it, so I'm wondering what might be a good alternative. Any suggestions greatly received.

Many thanks

tekno
27-02--2007, 09:54 PM
I've promised I'll take my Mum to a festival this year :eek: She's in her 60's. I know she'd like the BGG but can't make it, so I'm wondering what might be a good alternative. Any suggestions greatly received.

Many thanks

Awwww that's lovely! :D

Try little green planet...or Shambala...Secret Garden :hippy:

Sthenno
27-02--2007, 09:54 PM
What sort of music does she like?

Sthenno
27-02--2007, 09:55 PM
Awwww that's lovely! :D

Try little green planet...or Shambala...Secret Garden :hippy:
I wanted to say Shambala, but was worried people might think I had a vested interest as I kept mentioning it... but yay, Shambala rocks!

Tigerdaddy
27-02--2007, 09:55 PM
You wanting to do one day or weekend, camping or campervan?

PuReFiLtH
27-02--2007, 10:04 PM
What's she like? Stereotypical pensioner? Mindless drug hoover?

Hawthorn
27-02--2007, 10:07 PM
We definately want to camp.
As for music, she's not that fussy, though she does like drumming. Its the atmosphere she's after and some stories to impress her friends with when she gets back home ;)

Keep the suggestions coming, please!

campertess
27-02--2007, 10:12 PM
The Welsh Gathering ;)
Not a festival i know but camping,music,atmosphere,hippys n lotsa drumming.
And no huge entry fee
:D

hazy daisy
27-02--2007, 10:14 PM
Shamania http://omniforum.psypix.net/forum/images/smiles/signs003[1].gif

Hawthorn
27-02--2007, 10:14 PM
What's she like? Stereotypical pensioner? Mindless drug hoover?

LOL She's not your typical pensioner. She is quite open minded and unjudgemental for someone her age, I think she'll have a wonderful time so long as there is plenty to see and do.

irishfaery
27-02--2007, 11:21 PM
Knochengorroch festival...Scotland!!

epona_greenleaf
28-02--2007, 12:21 AM
Wheaton Aston (just saying this cos it is my birthday weekend!) Also heard good things about it. :D

Skully
28-02--2007, 07:53 AM
Womad is always colourful, fun and friendly. Usually plenty of drummers there from all over the world :)

Rook
28-02--2007, 08:46 AM
Big Session for a quiet folky feel, Beautiful days for a bigger but friendly bash.

sunflower
28-02--2007, 08:54 AM
all of them
simple

Badger
28-02--2007, 09:22 AM
http://www.southportflowershow.co.uk/ :)

sensamelia
28-02--2007, 09:22 AM
all i can say is i hope im like your ma when im in me 60s lol

scarlett
28-02--2007, 09:24 AM
http://folkandroots.co.uk/festivals.html

try here :)

PuReFiLtH
28-02--2007, 01:35 PM
I like secret garden. Friendly. Bizarre. Enough variety, but quite compact, so you don't have to walk for ages to get to anything you want to see. Maybe even good enough to go to straight and still have a good time.

moonpup
28-02--2007, 10:20 PM
WOMAD...........

CosmoNaughty
01-03--2007, 03:01 PM
Workhouse festival I'd have said all kinds of music and it's not so far away from your Brummie base.

jooles
03-03--2007, 10:37 AM
We definately want to camp.
As for music, she's not that fussy, though she does like drumming. Its the atmosphere she's after and some stories to impress her friends with when she gets back home ;)

Keep the suggestions coming, please!

I know that this will sound biassed coming from me....but The Workhouse...our policy is something for everyone (and we have almost pensioners on the committee lol!). There will be loads of visual stuff....crazy walkabout etc, lots to do...drumming workshops, dance workshops etc...and plenty of places to chill out and have a cup of tea and a slice of cake! We had a huge cross section there last year from great grandparents to great grand children! Oh and of course were not very big either so not am overwhelming festival site!

jo_rhymes
04-03--2007, 12:34 AM
I strongly reccommend PLAY festival.
It's cheap, it;s on an organic farm with sheep and piggies and moo cows, it'll full of circus-juggly types :D and there is always stuff to do/fun people to watch!

www.playfestival.co.uk

Hawthorn
05-03--2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've sent a list of them to my Mum, she's going to check them out on the net and see what fits. I would personally love to go to them all.

lesley-gnome
13-03--2007, 12:40 PM
just a thought. No matter where you go. you may wish to contemplate your own toilet facilities.

Hawthorn
13-03--2007, 02:20 PM
just a thought. No matter where you go. you may wish to contemplate your own toilet facilities.

LOL good advice. But we'll be okay on that score - when I was little we lived in a caravan for 7 years without a loo (don't ask!) - just the moors. so no probs with open air peeing if necessary. The loos at the big green gathering last year were pretty disgusting...

lesley-gnome
13-03--2007, 02:41 PM
LOL good advice. But we'll be okay on that score - when I was little we lived in a caravan for 7 years without a loo (don't ask!) - just the moors. so no probs with open air peeing if necessary. The loos at the big green gathering last year were pretty disgusting...

Its just that when one reaches a certain age, the visit become more frequent so the facilities have much more bearing on the subject. For one who helped to dig the toilet trench at the first Glastonbury festival (now theres a claim to fame) I have now become quite finicky and its the first thing I ask about.(followed by "whos playing ")and even carry a plastic item in the back of the van when only going out for just a day.

twirlybev
17-03--2007, 10:56 PM
Bestival is great, compact, rural location, and the ferry ride will feel like you have left england
Have a great time wherever you go