PDA

View Full Version : Jack In The Green - Hastings

welshlamb
26-04--2007, 10:50 PM
http://www.hastingsjack.co.uk/

Never been but I am going to pay a visit this year - have a look at the gallery - the weekend pretty amazing - not keen on morris men really but hey there are lots of cool costumes. Monday the 7th is the pagan parade day - I am sure that someone here will be able to explain what it is all about...

Anne
27-04--2007, 12:27 AM
its a fab time although i havn't been the last couple of years. where you staying cos it murder to park in the old town ?

welshlamb
27-04--2007, 01:54 AM
with mates in Folkestone so no problems parking. the pics are amazing! especially the evil looking black costumes.... really looking forward to it - kind like something out of the Wicca Man - an on that point - why on earth did they bother with a remake?

Anne
27-04--2007, 09:19 AM
you'll love it - loads of great pubs in the old town. bank holiday monday is also biker day, thousands swarm to the town on bike from all over so its as much fun watching them.

enjoy ! might even see you there.

freecloud
27-04--2007, 11:25 AM
Beltane - the beginning of summer!

stormypagan
27-04--2007, 06:22 PM
Tis a good un... I went when I lived in Hastings :) well worth having a visit :)

Atomik
27-04--2007, 06:23 PM
Does look rather entertaining. I'd go if I lived closer.

stormypagan
27-04--2007, 06:26 PM
Oh I thought you had been Dok hehehe

stormypagan
27-04--2007, 06:30 PM
whoops forgot to put the image in my last post ...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/Stormypagan/Jack3.jpg

AnnieAnne
27-04--2007, 06:30 PM
I'll be there! I'll be dancing in the procession. The flat bit's fine, but the hill up to the castle is a total bugger to dance up.

....and it's morris dancers, welshlamb, and if you don't like 'em, you'd better runaway, 'cos there is no escape

welshlamb
27-04--2007, 10:44 PM
Yeh I know it should be dancers and I know its the start of summer and I have read the stuff on the site so I kinda understand how the tradition started.... The morris dancer thing - I spent a boat journey once where almost everyone was one - it was lovely and sunny and i was drinking wine on the deck and then the dancing started.... it was a long journey..... And when they have the wooden poles to knock I worry about thier fingers.....

AnnieAnne
27-04--2007, 11:14 PM
Bashed fingers I can (just about) cope with, but the time I hit myself in the mouth with my own stick, I didn't know whether to :o or :cry:

Anne
28-04--2007, 12:15 AM
I'll be there! I'll be dancing in the procession. The flat bit's fine, but the hill up to the castle is a total bugger to dance up.

....and it's morris dancers, welshlamb, and if you don't like 'em, you'd better runaway, 'cos there is no escape

sneak off and run round the back and go up in the lift - much easier on the legs.