PDA

View Full Version : my vegan commitment..

Anusha
03-01--2006, 11:33 PM
Lasted to day 3....:eek:

Can someone please tell me why i shouldnt have Halloumi with my spinnach or Mascaponi with my pasta?...

help..i failed..

random_spontaneosity
03-01--2006, 11:36 PM
um, coz its made of cheese which is made from stuff from animals becuase it is...

oh dear

Atomik
03-01--2006, 11:40 PM
Do you really need to know? I mean I'm veggie, but I can totally see the vegan argument....

Anusha
03-01--2006, 11:48 PM
Do you really need to know? I mean I'm veggie, but I can totally see the vegan argument....

yeah..i know the whys... but some things are just so hard to give up...anything but give up Halloumi...

i'm so serious Dok.. that one last luxury..and thats the wrong way to see it..

I'm such a failure..hell..beaten by a lump of soggy cheese..:eek:

Atomik
03-01--2006, 11:52 PM
It's about 15 years since I was vegan, so what do I know, eh? I'm crap too.

stardust
04-01--2006, 12:55 AM
going vegan was my new year's resolution aswell!!

the cheese thing is the hardest for me aswell, specially as there's a big lump of brie that keeps looking at me from the fridge!

i guess the only way is to stick it out and get used to it. that's my plan anyways!

peace and love
stardust
xxx

Exedous
04-01--2006, 02:21 AM
Huge **HUGS** to you all, and big respect, iv got faith in you Pabsy and stardust..we all have little slip up's now and again....but i have huge faith in you..

Ghost

stormypagan
04-01--2006, 07:59 PM
Love and respect to all those embarking on a vegan diet for the new year, good on you and keep it up:)

But maybe I am a little harsh here so please forgive but the reasons for being vegan eg: animal abuse etc ... should be enough in my eyes to be the reason why Cheese is a no no!! As hard as it is to give up the things we like, just remember why you are doing it. Anyway, there are alternatives which aren't bad at all :) You can do it ... get your self discipline into gear and do it for the animals :D

I heard something recently, that due to certain cosmic happenings in the universe, that any new years resolutions made this year will have to be followed through, can't remember exactly what it was about but apparently it will be hard not to stick with them.... here's hoping that is true hehehe!!

Atomik
04-01--2006, 08:05 PM
But maybe I am a little harsh here so please forgive but the reasons for being vegan eg: animal abuse etc ... should be enough in my eyes to be the reason why Cheese is a no no!! As hard as it is to give up the things we like, just remember why you are doing it.With respect (and remembering that I'm a vegan sympathiser!), you could say the same about all kinds of consumerist habits.

What about driving? Do you never drive or use motorised transport?

Plastics? Is your life entirely plastic free?

I totally sympathise with veganism, but you can't say that everyone should adopt it, any more that you can say we should all stop using cars and plastic. The whole of modern life involves abuse, and all we can do is decide where our personal moral line in the sand lies.

random_spontaneosity
04-01--2006, 08:15 PM
Lasted to day 3....:eek:

help..i failed..

this is why i hate new years resolutions... you cant just give somethig up in one go straight off, and with going vegan its effectively more than one thing, unless you've given everything else up before, because its a huge shock and theres always something thats forgotten and the resolution is broken before you've had a chance to even think about it...

so, maybe pabsy, you should change your resolution to somethign more like 'i will be vegan by june' or something, and gradually remove cheese from your diet and replace it with vegan stuff. or better stuff...

thats how i'm gona go vegan, but its gona be a few years me thinks, and i bet i change my mind half way. in 3 and a bit months ive started drinking soya milk instead of cows milk, im only eating eggs when i want to buy a sandwich and i dont want a cheese one, so get an egg one instead and when mums moaning coz she brought eggs but no ones eating them... :eek: and i still buy stuff that veggie but not vegan coz its got egg and/or milk in, im not that great yet.

but if you've thought about it a lot and its something you really really want to do, do it, but if you know you want to do it but there things you really like, just let them go gradually, until you are free of them

dont go cold turkey!!! lol

stardust
04-01--2006, 09:08 PM
that's pretty much what i've been doind. been on soya milk for a while now, and cut out chocolate first coz i knew that would be hard.

day four and still going though. i've wanted to do this for ages, and new years seems as good a time as any, so i'm gonna stick with it.

peace and love
stardust
xxx

stormypagan
04-01--2006, 10:33 PM
I totally sympathise with veganism, but you can't say that everyone should adopt it, any more that you can say we should all stop using cars and plastic. .

My dearest Dok I don't think I did say that everyone should adopt it??????... my post was directed too the folk trying to be vegan (Pabsy and Stardust) as a new years resolution but finding cheese a bit of a hard one to give up. I was just reminding them, as a bit of encouragement in my own odd little way, why they decided to go vegan ... that is all!! I didn't say everyone should adopt it, though that would be great :D but even I know that will never happen well not in my life time anyways ... I stopped being a vegan policeman years ago hehe:harhar:

ecomamma
04-01--2006, 11:04 PM
cut it out a little at a time....if its just down to cheese then your doing amazing well....who said you couldnt have it sometimes just less & less often...every little helps like choosing recycled plastics.....& using the bike!
;)

Atomik
04-01--2006, 11:46 PM
My dearest Dok I don't think I did say that everyone should adopt it????? You said cheese should be a no no. Sorry if I misunderstood :D

Exedous
05-01--2006, 07:57 AM
Arrr...poo...pants f**k..b***r..poo poo pants, i just bought some tomato sauce to av with my vegan sausages...poured some on, took a huge bite and as i swallowed, realised tht its got...no...i cant ...its ..to ...henious....Lactose....arrrrrrrrrr :mad: :mad: :mad:

Im going into a dark place to punish myself... :cry:

Ghost

stormypagan
05-01--2006, 06:32 PM
LMFAO @ Ghost .... not for eating lactose.... but for going in a dark place to punish yourself .. thing is I have a feeling it might be all to enjoyable for you ghost, and not a punishment at all hehehe:harhar: :D :D
<grabs coat and runs ........>

magic tea
10-01--2006, 01:31 AM
Arrr...poo...pants f**k..b***r..poo poo pants, i just bought some tomato sauce to av with my vegan sausages...poured some on, took a huge bite and as i swallowed, realised tht its got...no...i cant ...its ..to ...henious....Lactose....arrrrrrrrrr :mad: :mad: :mad:

Im going into a dark place to punish myself... :cry:

Ghost

Sausages + canned tomatoes = The Best Thing Ever. *rubs tummy*

Anusha
10-01--2006, 10:59 AM
My dearest Dok I don't think I did say that everyone should adopt it??????... my post was directed too the folk trying to be vegan (Pabsy and Stardust) as a new years resolution but finding cheese a bit of a hard one to give up. I was just reminding them, as a bit of encouragement in my own odd little way, why they decided to go vegan ... that is all!! I didn't say everyone should adopt it, though that would be great :D but even I know that will never happen well not in my life time anyways ... I stopped being a vegan policeman years ago hehe:harhar:

I took it as encouragement Stormy :) It is hard..even though i've been a veggie all my life i didnt realize just what a huge step it would be going vegan.... Random Spontaneosity (i'll get that right oneday :rolleyes: ) i think has the right idea too..so i'm not going to view my lapses as a failure anymore...just do my best day to day... mostly the things i've always eaten are vegan anyway...its just learning to get a healthy balance...and a healthy vegan diet requires just a bit more effort...untill i get to know what to buy that fits in with my lifestyle of on the table in 15 minutes or forget it...!!! :eek:

stormypagan
10-01--2006, 09:13 PM
I took it as encouragement Stormy :)

Cool pabsy xxx just keep doing what you can ... even eating some vegan food is better than none at all :)

Spiral
17-01--2006, 01:39 PM
Hi pabsy,
Giving up cheese seems to be the hardest thing for aspiring vegans. Cheese contains high levels of casein which has an effect on the body similar to morphine so some people miss their casein 'fix' when they try to give up cheese. The best way is to try to give it up slowly and don't be too upset by a few failed attempts and keep in mind that you're doing the best thing for the planet, the animals and your own health and you'll get there in the end :)

You may find this interesting:
http://www.all-creatures.org/health/breaking.html

With respect (and remembering that I'm a vegan sympathiser!), you could say the same about all kinds of consumerist habits.

What about driving? Do you never drive or use motorised transport?

Plastics? Is your life entirely plastic free?

I totally sympathise with veganism, but you can't say that everyone should adopt it, any more that you can say we should all stop using cars and plastic. The whole of modern life involves abuse, and all we can do is decide where our personal moral line in the sand lies.

Hi Doktor Atomik,
Many in the environmental movement miss the importance of the harmful effect that animal farming (including organic animal farming) has on the environment and prefer to concentrate on car emissions etc than confront the problems in their own diet. Most people become vegan for animal welfare reasons, but the reasons to become vegan for the sake of the planet are becoming more compelling.
This is from the New Scientist:
It's better to green your diet than your car

17 December 2005
THINKING of helping the planet by buying an eco-friendly car? You could do more by going vegan, say Gidon Eshel and Pamela Martin of the University of Chicago.
They compared the amount of fossil fuel needed to cultivate and process various foods, including running agricultural machinery, providing food for livestock and irrigating crops. They also factored in emissions of methane and nitrous oxide produced by cows, sheep and manure treatment.
The typical US diet, about 28 per cent of which comes from animal sources, generates the equivalent of nearly 1.5 tonnes more carbon dioxide per person per year than a vegan diet with the same number of calories, say the researchers, who presented their results at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco last week.
By comparison, the difference in annual emissions between driving a typical saloon car and a hybrid car, which runs off a rechargeable battery and gasoline, is just over 1 tonne. If you don't want to go vegan, choosing less-processed animal products and poultry instead of red meat can help reduce the greenhouse load.
From issue 2530 of New Scientist magazine, 17 December 2005, page 19

Atomik
17-01--2006, 01:43 PM
Most people become vegan for animal welfare reasons, but the reasons to become vegan for the sake of the planet are becoming more compelling.Yup. I agree. My point is that veganism can't be seen as a position of moral absolutism, since we all contribute to suffering on one level or another.

Spiral
17-01--2006, 01:59 PM
Yup. I agree. My point is that veganism can't be seen as a position of moral absolutism, since we all contribute to suffering on one level or another.
I agree. I'm a strong subscriber to the each to their own philosophy, it's just that I've met a lot of radical environmentalists who are completely blind to the problems that animal farming causes and some who are pretty anti vegan.

stormypagan
17-01--2006, 02:04 PM
I agree. I'm a strong subscriber to the each to their own philosophy, it's just that I've met a lot of radical environmentalists who are completely blind to the problems that animal farming causes and some who are pretty anti vegan.

I can't really get my head around environmentalists that still eat meat.. always been a weird one to me.... my motto has always been..

"You have to change yourself before you can change the world"

Otherwise how do you get people to take you seriously??!! I used to know this green party candidate that spouted off about his politics but he still consumed meat ... hmmmmm!! As you say each to their own but why cant some folk get the connection :(

Starling
27-01--2006, 12:31 AM
I can symphasise pabsy. I've tried being vegan a few times now. I did it last year for about 4 months, and then caved in when i got stressed out with exams. Since then (that was about June) i haven't attempted it again, but i never gave up on soya milk, and haven't started buying eggs or cheese again. I really want to do it! but there's some things i think i'll never be able to give up and never eat again, which sounds stupid i know. At the moment i'm just doing the best i can, if i cave, i cave. Purity isn't everything. I think i'm doing a lot the way it is now. I couldn't call myself a vegan, but it's not about that anyways.

Exedous
04-02--2006, 03:34 PM
Like us all, you're doing the best you can...i agree purity isint everything, its a balance, between healthy eating, and love for the planet. Just do what you can.....

Ghost:patch: