PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Cheese

Sarah
10-01--2006, 09:06 PM
Any recommendations for good tasty alternatives to cheese. Last time I tried vegan cheese was about 10 years ago and it was fuckin 'orrible!!! As a house we are moving towards a gluten free and caseine free diet for all our benefits and hopefully great benefit for Charlie choo...he loves cheese though!!
He is loving soya milk and soya yoghurts but cheese may cause a problem! He ain't called Charlie Cheese face for nowt you know!!!!!! :)

So cummon vegans.... please can you recommend a good quality cheese that tastes good in butties and can be used for cooking aswell ? We need to be able to use it just like a lump of cheddar for this to be as painless and stress free as possible :)

Me n Stardust are going t'internet shopping tomorrow afternoon to place an order on a site that stormy recommended but chuck some brand names at me please... its gotta look like and taste like cheese and we've got the other dairy products well sussed so I only need to know about cheese :)

Much Love and Sunshine
Sarah xxx

Atomik
10-01--2006, 09:12 PM
All the vegans I know rave on about Redwood's cheeses.

Whirler
10-01--2006, 09:12 PM
Redwood vegan cheeses are actually quite nice once you adjust to the flavour. Obviously you can't really substitute cheese but it's the same with anything - just re-educate your taste buds.

As for cooking I'm not sure, I think Redwoods may do a melting cheese but I'm not 100% on that.

Check that your cheeses are vegan. In the wholefood shop in Glastonbury they sell soy cheese that has skimmed milk powder in......can be very misleading methinks!

Hope you find something yummy!

Sarah
10-01--2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks you two :D

Flibbertigibbet
10-01--2006, 09:38 PM
Yep as a long term vegan I can advocate redwood foods .....cheezly and the "melts" ones really do melt. kaas cheese is disgusting as is the other brand spelt similar to cheese but as I always call it sneeze I cant remember the real name. The toffutti slices are nice even if they seem a tad processed but watch out on flavour as some have casein in. Happy "cheese " on toast to both of you :D