PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Fudge Cake

stormypagan
06-12--2005, 03:04 PM
It's Stonesy's Birthday tomorrow and I am in the middle of baking a Vegan chocolate cake (except the aga is very hot and it tends to over do the top if I am not careful!!) Here's the recipe... 'tis delicious as I made the same one for my son's birthday with thick fudge icing mmmmmmm!! and so easy to make!! I am gunna cut and paste it off this link ....

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/coolplanet/kidsweb/recipes/veganfudge.htm
Vegan fudge cake

Ingredients:
For the cake:
200g (8oz) organic self raising flour
150g (6oz) organic caster sugar
25g (1oz) Fair Trade cocoa
1tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1tsp natural vanilla essence
1/4 tsp (a few drops!) white wine vinegar
100ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil
225ml (9 fl oz) water

For the fudge icing:
150g (6 oz) icing sugar
40g (1 1/2 oz) vegan margarine
100g (1 1/4 oz) Fair Trade dark chocolate
40ml soya milk

Method
Put the self-raising flour, soya flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa in a bowl and mix well. Pour over vegetable oil, vanilla essence and vinegar, and then the water. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or electric whisk. Pour the mixture into a shallow oblong tin (7"x11"), or two round sandwich tins, and cook for about 25 minutes at 200C/400F until cooked. When the cake has cooled, make the icing. Put all the icing ingredients in a pan and slowly bring them to the boil, stirring. Boil for one minute, then pour it into a bowl. Beat the icing while it is cooling so that lumpy crystals don't form. You can add vanilla essence at this point if you like. Then spread it over the top of your cake and leave it to set.