PDA

View Full Version : People with dogs off leads near roads.

wiggy
12-01--2006, 05:05 PM
Right if anyone does it here i will proberly piss you of but i dont care.
Im so annoyed at seeing people walking along busy roads with their dogs of the leads - earlier i saw a lab running down a road and nearly got hit by a bus!!! the owner just stood there shouting his name - wtf (give your dog a bloody command dont just say its name)

Everytime i go out i see someone with their dog of the lead - sometimes people even ride bikes and the poor dog trots along beside them - if the dog seeing somethings he likes he might try and get it and then get hit by a car. Its dangerous not just for the animal but for people.

I phoned the council and told them to ge down here - i couldnt catch it because it wanted to kill Milo (my dog) so i took him home and went out looking for him with a handful of kibbles LOL - couldnt catch him - i hope the council have caught him though and fined the owners or something - bloody stupid people should have animals. :(

Rant over.

Sunny
12-01--2006, 06:20 PM
Hehe i've seen it a lot recently too. I saw a springer spaniel puppy escape and go wild on the pavement, much to the delight of the small children he/she was entertaining. I've seen a lot of dogs running alongside bikes too recently.
I can see what you mean... it's not good practice at all and it is potentially really dangerous, for the dog and for drivers and such. People need to be sensible about how they train and look after the dogs they look after. Some of the people who have dogs just don't seem to have thought it out at all.

I have to admit, when I was younger and really wanted a dog, I had a perfect image in my head of two best pals and no lead or harness or anything between us :o. I have seen some dogs that are extremely calm trotting beside their friend... Which I think is nice, despite the safety concerns....

I expect dogs off leads in high streets aren't very helpful to people with dog fears either!

Sunny
xxx

wiggy
12-01--2006, 06:23 PM
no they arent - i have a welsh spaniel and he needs quite alot of walking but we live near parks so we take him ther e- or take him for a walk around a field and let him be free lol - he loves it as much as us

Exedous
23-01--2006, 12:23 PM
Im so annoyed at seeing people walking along busy roads with their dogs of the leads - earlier i saw a lab running down a road and nearly got hit by a bus!!! the owner just stood there shouting his name - wtf (give your dog a bloody command dont just say its name)

Everytime i go out i see someone with their dog of the lead - sometimes people even ride bikes and the poor dog trots along beside them - if the dog seeing somethings he likes he might try and get it and then get hit by a car. Its dangerous not just for the animal but for people.

I phoned the council and told them to ge down here - i couldnt catch it because it wanted to kill Milo (my dog) so i took him home and went out looking for him with a handful of kibbles LOL - couldnt catch him - i hope the council have caught him though and fined the owners or something - bloody stupid people should'nt have animals. :(

I can see where your'e coming from wiggy,but i am giulty of both counts.Spike is rarely on a lead..tho he wears a collar...and yes i do cycle with him, he enjoys it tho..{or seems to}, its good exercise for him and for me. Im always watchfull of him, when im either walking him, or cycling.....

Ghost

Atomik
23-01--2006, 12:30 PM
I was sat in a beer garden many years ago, supping a few jars with some hippy chums. There was this dippy girl hanging around, and her dog was off its lead, bouncing around the adjacent carpark.

My Mate: Shouldn't you get that dog under control?
Dippy Girl: It's a free spirit!
My Mate: It fucking will be when a car hits it.

Priceless. And kinda to the point.

Chegzy
23-01--2006, 12:51 PM
I get what you mean but i never ever put my dog on a lead, i put her collar on when i take her out but thats it. Although we only cross two roads when i take her out and she knows where they are and sits infront of the kerb until i tell her ok. The only time she realy needs a lead is if other perople are arround and then her attention diverts away from me.

Lola takes Louey on la lead tho (my friends dog) and that gets some funny looks seeing a dog walking annother dog arround with a lead in its mouth LOL, ill have to get a photo

wiggy
23-01--2006, 01:02 PM
Its silly though because if the dog sees something and wants it (which they could as you cant read a dogs mind) they could get hit by a car as dok said, then you will proberly loose a dog,the dog will put through pain, you will proberly be pissed at the driver, and the driver wil be upset. And i dont think them issues are enough not to put your dog on a lead.

My friend used to have a greyhound that was still nutty after being raced for years and she had a bike and rode on the bike with him - but he was on a streach lead and could walk if he had to.

And its all being well teaching your dog where to stop but i wouldnt trust any dog - they get scared easily, i understand why people do it - but its not something i would ever be happy about - its different if you are in a field or something but walking along a road surley people would have commen sense

Atomik
23-01--2006, 01:09 PM
This is the thing. It doesn't matter how well trained your dog is or how closely you're watching it, you never know when something unexpected is gonna happen and spook it. In fact, I just remembered.... I had a mate with a little jack russell that exactly that thing happened to. She never had it on a lead, and it would follow close at her heel wherever she went. It would always come when called and would never run off. Then one day, something spooked it, and it ran out in front of a car and got killed.

wiggy
23-01--2006, 01:11 PM
aww thats horrible - its just annoying where i live we live near busy roads - like in town a bit more and there are always people there. they are walking 10 foot in front of their dogs and their dogs are sniffing. They normally cant even see them. Even the bloody chavs round here have their dogs on a lead - now that says something

Atomik
23-01--2006, 01:15 PM
Even the bloody chavs round here have their dogs on a leadYou sure that's not their girlfriends? :lol:

wiggy
23-01--2006, 01:17 PM
LOL that took me a while to get that one!!!!!! its monday and im very tired lol

They may well have been

Exedous
23-01--2006, 01:28 PM
Ooops, *eats humble pie*....Jus went up the hill with Spike, he spoted a deer and bolted, i remembered what you said wiggy...
give it a command..dont jus shout the dogs name.... he came back bout 2 mins later, he is now passed out on the floor, by my feet. I can again see where you are all coming from, i have to keep spike on a lead when walking through my scheme, so he wont chase cats. Part from that, he is a star.....

Ghost

wiggy
23-01--2006, 01:33 PM
Yay my advise works lol

i only put that because im so pissed of at people shouting for example MIlo (my dog) milo, milo milo MILO MILOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If i was to say Milo come back - he proberly would.

Chegzy
23-01--2006, 01:53 PM
This is the thing. It doesn't matter how well trained your dog is or how closely you're watching it, you never know when something unexpected is gonna happen and spook it. In fact, I just remembered.... I had a mate with a little jack russell that exactly that thing happened to. She never had it on a lead, and it would follow close at her heel wherever she went. It would always come when called and would never run off. Then one day, something spooked it, and it ran out in front of a car and got killed.

I completely understand what you and wiggy are saying but i just dont think that is the case with Lola. There are two quiet roads that we cross and she will not cross them without my say so. Ive crossed the road myself a few times and forgot to give her the go ahead and she sat there until i called her. She knows herself that until we hit the golf course its sensible doggy time.

Lola doesnt mind being on a lead i just think its a lot more fun for her if she can go her won way and sniff aroind without me having to be over her shoulder every time she finds a nice bit of grass to pee on.

Atomik
23-01--2006, 02:10 PM
Well two quiet roads is a bit different to taking a dog out everywhere you go without a lead. I still think there's a risk, but I imagine it's low.

Paul
23-01--2006, 03:06 PM
I've seen a dog get hit by a car

The owner was coming up some steps from the Thames path at Chiswick Bridge. The dog was all excited and jumping around ... it runs into the road ... screech, bang, dead. :(

Anusha
23-01--2006, 03:39 PM
Kobi doesnt wear a lead or collar round here but i would never take her to a built up area without one.

A puppy once ran out out into the road and straight into the side of my car... i managed to get a screaming pup and the owner to the nearest vet and luckily the dog survived...but with 3 breaks on one leg poor thing..i was so mad with the owner.... how bloody irresponsible can you get...

no dog should be trusted near traffic...

Rook
23-01--2006, 04:59 PM

I phoned the council and told them to ge down here - i couldnt catch it because it wanted to kill Milo (my dog) so i took him home and went out looking for him with a handful of kibbles LOL - couldnt catch him - i hope the council have caught him though and fined the owners or something - bloody stupid people should have animals. :(

Rant over.
Fraid I do it but only on roads he knows. Sam is trained to the command 'wait' and only to go up or down kerbs with the command 'over'. Admittedly he did once take off over a road by himnself and it frightened the life out of me. Its about training as much as anything and keeping an eye on the pooch when your out.

wiggy
23-01--2006, 05:12 PM
I dont seem to be able to understand why people would risk it though - i mean fair enough if you know 100% your dog wont get killed by a car - but you dont know that if you are near a raod, there is a big chance of a car, there is a bigger chance of your dog getting killed by a car.

People have said they do it and im not having a go at anyone but then you have defended yourself and it seems like making excuses. Maybe you should think about it for a while - i even took milo out today and he ran into the road but he had a lead on so was ok - ahh i dunno i dont see it as a clever thing really - there is no point risking your dogs like for the sake of a lead to me.

Atomik
23-01--2006, 05:14 PM
Would you trust a young child never to run into a road? If not, then why would you trust a dog?

wiggy
23-01--2006, 05:16 PM
People hold kids hands and they understand more.

Atomik
23-01--2006, 05:24 PM
Exactly.

Firinne
23-01--2006, 05:37 PM
My mum's girlfriend used to take her dog out without a lead, and she was always fine near roads/kids etc ... she'd just pad along beside her like the littlest hobo. Country parks however, were a completely different story.
I spent part of one interesting afternoon alternately in between the dogs and a herd of sheep, and between an firearm wielding angry farmer and the dogs.
She was on a lead from then on, no arguments.

Mine always used to stay on the lead because he's a dopey sod - he once chased some ducks up the river from Mortlake to bloody Hammersmith!

Atomik
23-01--2006, 05:39 PM
My mum's girlfriend used to take her dog out without a lead, and she was always fine near roads/kids etc ... she'd just pad along beside her like the littlest hobo.They always do. Right up until they get unlucky, spooked, and turned into pooch pancake.

Firinne
23-01--2006, 05:48 PM
I'd say the same for kids as well, mine's always careful about crossing the road until something catches his interest and then he's a complete pillock.

Exedous
23-01--2006, 06:07 PM
Hmmm, Spike has got away in the past, he's crossed the main artery road several times..{and back} on his own......:( I know...its WELL bad...jus back, took spike on the beach...{photo's coming soon..promise...:) } he had a great time..running and dodging waves, twas very very very very cold.

Ghost

Atomik
23-01--2006, 06:35 PM
I'd say the same for kids as well, mine's always careful about crossing the road until something catches his interest and then he's a complete pillock.Yeah, but kids can be taught a lot more easily than dogs. Plus, most parents will keep hold of their kids' hand near a busy road when they're very young.

Firinne
23-01--2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, but kids can be taught a lot more easily than dogs. Plus, most parents will keep hold of their kids' hand near a busy road when they're very young.

True, but they still find ways to catch you out .. like paying so little attention they fall over in the middle of the road just as the lights change and scare the bejesus out of you.

Atomik
23-01--2006, 07:13 PM
True, but they still find ways to catch you out .. like paying so little attention they fall over in the middle of the road just as the lights change and scare the bejesus out of you.Absolutely. So you take what measures you reasonably can to ensure their safety. And in the case of dogs, you put 'em on leads near busy roads.

Firinne
23-01--2006, 07:22 PM
Absolutely. So you take what measures you reasonably can to ensure their safety. And in the case of dogs, you put 'em on leads near busy roads.

Yup, I never let go of Dylan's hand because he gets so wrapped up in chatting sometimes he's incredibly clumsy.

That's the other thing I worry about, people that let kids walk fiesty dogs near busy roads. I remember once taking my dog out on my roller skates when I was a kid, he seen a cat and it was one heck of a ride that ended up in a faceplant in a pile of gravel. If you have a small kid and a big dog that gets spooked you're in for a whole world of trouble.

Sarah
24-01--2006, 07:49 AM
I agree about this thing about having leads on the dogs when walking them near roads... both of mine are fucking horrendous on the lead - Petal will not walk nicely although Sam is fine on his own. No way on this earth I would let my two dogs walk off their leads round here, despite the fact that Petal pulls my arms out of my sockets.
I used to have a collie called Ben though that was trained to be a sheep dog. He pulled on the lead but off the lead kept his nose in the back of my knee and would only run on if you told him to. He was the exception to what you are saying..very occasionally you get a dog that has been soooo well trained and is soooo obedient that not even a random event could spook it.. Ben was that dog and rarely wore a lead unless we were in a buzy town and then he had to really to stop people from going "shouldn't that dog be on a lead" Chegzy you sound like you got a dog like Ben used to be :) Nothing spooked Ben.. he lived to a ripe old age and spent most of his life off the lead - it was kinder considering his training and obedience as on the lead he pulled like fuck.. off the lead - wet back of knee from nose!

Sunny
25-01--2006, 06:59 PM
I used to have a collie called Ben though that was trained to be a sheep dog. He pulled on the lead but off the lead kept his nose in the back of my knee and would only run on if you told him to. He was the exception to what you are saying..very occasionally you get a dog that has been soooo well trained and is soooo obedient that not even a random event could spook it

Aww, I think you always get the exceptions to things like this :) :). Tell you what, I find it hard teaching dogs to walk to 'heel' though. I think if I was a dog i'd be pulling on the lead too! Amber looks at me like i'm mad when I try to get her to walk nicely by my side - there's too many interesting smells, sights and sounds for her to be dawdling along with a human. If she was off the lead near roads she'd be causing chaos straight away I think.

stormypagan
25-01--2006, 07:20 PM
I have had three dogs in my adult life. All three were totally different personalities and I knew their limitations. Only moon was good enough to walk next to me with out a lead, which I did occasionally but rarely really. The other two could never be trusted so never got the chance too. So yes I agree really it is to dangerous to have a dog off the lead near a busy road or any road really.

It used to annoy me at festivals when packs of unruly dogs were off leads running around the site, often getting lost, and nearly always one or two being killed on a nearby road. I remember mine were always kept under control, and I remember one time some hippi guy having a go at me for not letting them run free (very similar to your story Dok eg: remarks on dogs being free spirits) but I knew if I did that I would never see one of my dogs, Isha, again, as she was a terrible bin dog with no road sense, so the best thing was to keep her on a lead.

Lanky Midget
15-02--2006, 06:40 PM

I had an extremely obedient Collie (he died of old age, not unnatural causes), and approaching home, was so focused on his destination, it seemed nothing would distract him. I was walking with my girlfriend one day, and all I did was point to a house across the road, and ol' Rouzer took that as a command, and nearly got killed following it. I've never took that chance since with the two dogs I have now..

He also had a habit of walking onto buses and getting off at the next stop!

mudpuddle
16-02--2006, 01:20 AM
I Agree That Dogs Should be Kept on Their Leads...

I Have Witnessed a Dog Being Hit by a Car...Not a Nice Way to Die...

But Not Only Do I Think Because of Dogs Saftey From Being Hit by a Vehicle...But Also From Other Dogs...

I am Very Cautious When Walking my Dog...Always Keep Him on a Lead...
But Other Owners...Sadly...Do Not...And They are Truly Vicious Dogs...

I Find it Awful...When I'm Walking my Dog on a Lead and He is Right Next to Me...And Someone's Dog Comes Charging at Balto...Lunging at His Throat...

This Has Happened on Many Occasions...

My Dog Has No Aggression Whatsoever...And it Pains Me...Seeing Him Being Attacked by Some Staff or Pit Bull...Which I Try to Kick Off...And All the Owners Do is Stand and Call their Dog Back...And Do Nothing to Help...

Or They Try and Help...But it's Hard When the Other Dog Has Lock Jaw and their Mouth is Firmly Clamped on Balto's Neck or Ear...

And Do I Get an Apology? No...Everytime the Other Owner Will Just Walk Away...Dragging thier Dog by the Collar...

While I'm Left Feeling Shaky and Trying to Stop the Bleeding From Whatever Wound Has Been Caused...

The Owners Must Know Whether or Not Their Dog is Agressive...And Should Take more of a Responsability...And the Necesary precautions...To Prevent Attacks on Other Dogs...Or Even People...

That Sort of Aggression Should be Kept Under Control...

I'm Sorry if I've Gone Off Topic...But Still Keeping There With the Dog on Lead...

Too Many Incidents Have Left me Constantly on the Alert When Walking my Dog...So That I Don't Feel it is Safe to Even Let Him Off His Lead on a Filed...

It is a Dangerous Town I Live in...And Not Many Open Spaces to Take my Dog...

Lanky Midget
16-02--2006, 01:43 AM
It's absolutely on topic..

Contrasting the difference between responsible dog owners, and the hurt and damage caused by the irresponsible ones

And I've heard that in your town, even the dogs wear gum shields!

This is an old thread now, but it's good to get people talking about the suffering that mindless people can wreak on others..

mudpuddle
16-02--2006, 02:08 AM
I Hate my Town...

I Don't Feel Safe...

Barefoot_Surfer
16-02--2006, 11:12 PM
I nearly killed a rottweiler on my motorbike once. The thing came bounding out infront of me going completely ape. So I had to do an emergency stop. I also had another problem. There were some horses just up the road. Things could of got very ugly. Luckly I was able to then nail my bike and put in some distance between me and the dog before I could get to the horses. Also what was lucky is the fact that I wasn't hit from behind by a car.
Matt