PDA

View Full Version : Kale

The Original Laney
15-01--2006, 09:34 AM
I've really kicked some ass with my new healthy eating and my Mum passes out from shock every now and then when she see's me eating!!

Now, I bought some kale, assuming it's very high in Iron.. am I right?

Now.. What should I do with it.?. what goes with it.?.

Inspire me

Whirler
15-01--2006, 11:41 AM
God I LOVE Kale. Yes, all dark green leafy veg is high in iron. I just eat it really simply - steam it for a few mins then serve with whatever else you're having! That's not very helpful is it.......A few years ago I made a pasta dish with it, was probably something like lots of garlic, tomatoes, maybe some cream? Really can't remember now.....maybe someone else can help.....:o

Anusha
15-01--2006, 11:47 AM
Kale is good but try substituting it with spinnach... slightly more expensive but much more versatile...i'm hooked anyway...:)..and its great in stirfrys..etc...

Kat
15-01--2006, 11:51 AM
Its nice steamed liek EarthWhirler said or it can be cooked in a stir fry with some sesame seeds.. thats always ncie.. or fried and then add some lemon juice..
http://www.pvga.net/recipes/pvga_kale_recipes.html has some recipes that look yumy:D

Whirler
15-01--2006, 11:53 AM
I think it's good to have both Pabsy. Each vegetable has it's own unique benefits. I'm not sure about kale, but the the iron in spinach is countered by some other chemical so it's not actually one of the better sources of iron.

Anusha
15-01--2006, 12:06 PM
I think it's good to have both Pabsy. Each vegetable has it's own unique benefits. I'm not sure about kale, but the the iron in spinach is countered by some other chemical so it's not actually one of the better sources of iron.

isnt it?...oh god..i eat it every day..where do you get your info from..its my main source of iron...:eek:

Whirler
15-01--2006, 12:10 PM
The main place I read it was in a book on healing foods by Michael Van Stratton. It's not that you won't get any iron, it's just harder for the body to absorb it. One of the highest sources of iron is blackstrap molasses if you're worried......

The Original Laney
15-01--2006, 12:23 PM
What the heck are blackstrap molasses ??:eek:

I need guidance.. can you all be my healthy eating guru's:wiggle:

Anusha
15-01--2006, 12:29 PM
What the heck are blackstrap molasses ??:eek:

I need guidance.. can you all be my healthy eating guru's:wiggle:

hey...i'm an underwieght veggie...no healthy eating guru here..eek...;)

Exedous
15-01--2006, 01:44 PM
Steam yer Kale then....sea salt..Black Pepper, and vegan marj...with grated nutmeg..yuuuuuummmy.:insane: ..In Scotland many moons ago, the cattle were healthier than the people, so the folk stated eating Kale...hey presto...healthy folk....:)

Ghost

Whirler
15-01--2006, 02:06 PM
Molasses is a by-product of sugar cane refining. It's really dark and runny like treacle and has a very distinctive flavour - works really well with flapjacks! This link has lots of info about it --------> my link (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=118) :D It's easy to just chuck a spoonful in a smoothy, but it is strongly flavoured so just try a small amount first.

Dapablo
15-01--2006, 02:45 PM
Stir Fry, Kale and Molasses. :)

stormypagan
15-01--2006, 06:37 PM
Don't forget to have vitamin C enriched foods with it too to help you absorb the iron ... it is all about food combinations to get the best from it :D

Whirler
15-01--2006, 06:42 PM
Don't forget to have vitamin C enriched foods with it too to help you absorb the iron ... it is all about food combinations to get the best from it :DIndeed! And apparently copper which I just find out by looking at that website I linked. It's a really good website for providing detail on all foods - it's a great reference point.