PDA

View Full Version : The Gathering - LARP thing (no relation to easter gathering)

Roach
17-01--2006, 04:21 PM
I may be showing myself up as the Only Geek On The Forums (<-said in best Daffid from Little Britian voice), but does anyone here do LARPs? Live Action Roleplaying for those that dont know. I've been into the tabletop stuff for years (dungions and dragons, vampire: the masquerade etc) but my housemates at uni have convinced me to go to my first live action one int eh summer called The Gathering run by the Lorien Trust (www.lorientrust.co.uk (http://www.lorientrust.co.uk)). Has anyone ever done a LARP before and can give me a bit of info on what to expect?

Atomik
17-01--2006, 04:40 PM
It's really spooky you should mention that. I stumbled across the Lorien Trust website a few days ago purely by accident. I wouldn't do LARP to save my life, but if you've got the personality for it, it looks like it could be a lot of fun. It's a shame they don't allow non-participants to attend, coz I'd love to visit 'out of character'.

Roach
17-01--2006, 05:27 PM
It's really spooky you should mention that. I stumbled across the Lorien Trust website a few days ago purely by accident.

Its a sign for you to embrace your Inner Geek Dok.

One of us! One of us!

Atomik
17-01--2006, 05:48 PM
Its a sign for you to embrace your Inner Geek Dok.

One of us! One of us!My inner geek is alive, well, and watching Babylon 5 on repeated innner-eye loop playback! It is not, however, poncing around a forest dressed as a fucking elf pretending to hurl fireballs at people and hitting 'dwarves' with rubber swords! :harhar:

Joel
17-01--2006, 06:19 PM
oh god i used to live with a Larper, he was dire, and extreamly annoying

im sure thats not the way all larpers are tho! i watch them out of my window of a sunday afternoon

Roach
18-01--2006, 02:14 PM
My inner geek is alive, well, and watching Babylon 5 on repeated innner-eye loop playback! It is not, however, poncing around a forest dressed as a fucking elf pretending to hurl fireballs at people and hitting 'dwarves' with rubber swords! :harhar:

I'm gonna be human thankyou very much!

Means I spend less on my costume :harhar:

stardust
18-01--2006, 04:46 PM
i've never been to one of these, but it sounds really interesting. i love dressing up. do they do pirate ones? i would definately be up for some of that!

the only table top thing i've been into is collecting warhammer figures. i've collected a huge high elf army, which i love painting, and i do enjoy the occasional game, though it usually involves getting my arse kicked by a 12 year old!!!

peace and love
stardust
xxx

generic
18-01--2006, 10:23 PM
is the infamous "lightning bolt" video similiar to the actual event?

I have played PC DnD, have you heard of the bioware game neverwinter nights,but that is as much roleplaying as i have done before. I reckon I'd prefer to roleplay from behind my character on a computer screen, less inhibition i guess, ratehr than in real life?

Roach
19-01--2006, 04:01 PM
i've never been to one of these, but it sounds really interesting. i love dressing up. do they do pirate ones? i would definately be up for some of that!

the only table top thing i've been into is collecting warhammer figures. i've collected a huge high elf army, which i love painting, and i do enjoy the occasional game, though it usually involves getting my arse kicked by a 12 year old!!!

peace and love
stardust
xxx

I used to play Warhammer when I was younger, I loved my lil Demons. Blood For The Blood God! etc

If your up for it Stardust then your welcome to come along, we're after more people to expand our little group :) (theres about 7 of us at the moment, although we're part of one of the main Factions that has a few hundred people in it). You can dress up as almost anything as long as it fits. I've seen photos on the website of people dressed as pirates so obviously their allowed :harhar: The ticket for the weekend is apprently 60 if you pay on the gate but its cheaper the earlier you book. The only expensive bit is getting your costume and weapons together (although I've been told that its better to buy your weapons when you get there rather than from the net)

Roach
19-01--2006, 04:40 PM
I have played PC DnD, have you heard of the bioware game neverwinter nights,but that is as much roleplaying as i have done before. I reckon I'd prefer to roleplay from behind my character on a computer screen, less inhibition i guess, ratehr than in real life?

Computer 'rpgs' arn't roleplaying I'm afraid mate, they just degenerate in hack 'n slash in my experience (although I will say that I've not played any MMMORPGS like World of Warcraft or anything like that so I can't speak from that point of view, but what I hear isnt good). Get down to your local gaming shop and (if you can find it still as its out of print :() pick up the main rulebook for Vampire: The Masquerade. That'll show you proper roleplaying

Dapablo
19-01--2006, 10:52 PM
I first came across this many moons ago in a games magazine, now defunct I would imagine, remember being sorely tempted but never did. I think I bought the mag for the PBM gaming, blimey games by post, before e-mail.

stardust
19-01--2006, 10:57 PM
I've seen photos on the website of people dressed as pirates so obviously their allowed

have you got a link to the website?

that sounds wikkid!!

*edit* ignore me, just saw it in the first post!!!