PDA

View Full Version : a slight hitch with the new vegan diet..

stardust
19-01--2006, 12:08 PM
could do with a bit of advice here guys.....

i went vegan for new years and have stuck to it completely apart from a slip up with a bounty bar! my general diet seems to be very healthy. knocking back loads of fruit, veg, pulses, soya products etcetc and i think i'm doing everything i'm meant to to have a healthy diet. i eat quite large meals and often snack in between aswell.

i jumped on the scales this morning and realised that i've lost nearly half a stone. i know this doesn't seem like a dilema to most people, but it is for me, coz i have problems keeping weight on anyway and pick up lurgies and infections the whole time if i'm underweight.

7 stone 12 is very bad for someone my height (5'6ish i think), but i can't work out where to up my calorie intake. i used to eat loads and loads of cheese, especially on pizza which i had fairly regularly. i think that probably contributed to me staying at a healthy weight.

if anyone has any suggestions for vegan foods that are high in calories, (preferably the good fats not bad ones!) then now would be a really good time to share them with me!! any general suggestions would be appreciated! i still want to stick to being vegan coz it's very important to me, but if i get down to 7 and a half stone i'm back on cheese, coz i hate being ill the whole time.

peace and love
stardust
xxx

Atomik
19-01--2006, 12:15 PM
Chips, donuts, beer. Job's a good 'un! :thumbup:

uma
19-01--2006, 12:23 PM
Eat more wholewheat breads and carbs. For example get wholewheat noodles or pastas to put in stirfries. East more basically, like eat bread with brekfast along with everything else. Have you tried vegan cheese? could put that on pizza and have that instead....just a few suggestions:)
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

Spiral
19-01--2006, 01:58 PM
As has been said eat some more carby things. Pasta ,bread, jacket potatoes with lots of vegan marge etc. Avacardos and nuts are calorie rich and healthy. You could get in touch with the vegan society http://www.vegansociety.com and see if they can help.

Unfortunately I have the opposite problem and put on weight very easily, so as good as they are, the chips, donuts and beer have to be taken in moderation :D

stormypagan
19-01--2006, 03:48 PM
Any change in diet will have knock on effects .. eg for vegans .. weight loss and big time toilet use (no one does number 2's like a vegan hehehe) is inevitable in the first few months until your body has adjusted.

So far the advice is good so I wont add anymore :D

Whirler
19-01--2006, 07:01 PM
I imagine nuts are probably a good idea too. I think peanuts especially (yes I know they're not a nut!) I'm just wondering how much cheese you were eating to drop half a stone!!!!

Flibbertigibbet
19-01--2006, 07:50 PM
If you want to put on weight eat lentils and chickpeas........full of carbs and tasty too ....I am only suggestign this as I need to lose weight and have been a vegan for years ...I bought the low carb weightloss book for veggies and vegans and was amazed at the sugar in some fruits and veg that turns to carbs......anyway only lasted 2 days on that diet as I was craving grapes :eek: is the veggie /vegan equivalent of atkins diet and lentils were not allowed

stormypagan
19-01--2006, 08:13 PM
It is a myth about vegans being skinny and malnourished .. I can assure you I am no skiiny bean pole, even more since being pregnant. Still going to work it off!!

stardust
19-01--2006, 10:04 PM
no one does number 2's like a vegan

that's one thing i have definately noticed! i have been getting a huge amount of satisfaction from visiting the toilet!!!!!

Whirler
20-01--2006, 12:49 PM
i have been getting a huge amount of satisfaction from visiting the toilet!!!!!Why does that sound so wrong? :eek:

Atomik
20-01--2006, 12:58 PM
Why does that sound so wrong? :eek: I used to feel the same way when I was single. That's another story though....

stardust
20-01--2006, 01:09 PM
Why does that sound so wrong? :eek:

i'll rephrase it then....i love doing poo's! they are much comfier on the new diet regime!

is peanut butter fattening in a good way?

what i mean is, are they the fats that are good for you or the ones that clog important things like arteries? if they're the later then i wont knock it back, but if it's good for you i might invest in a rather large jar!

peace and love
stardust
xxx

Atomik
20-01--2006, 01:10 PM
i'll rephrase it then....i love doing poo's!As a brave friend of mine once replied to a docker who said somethign similar..... "So you like the sensation of having something big stuck up your arse then?". :D

stardust
20-01--2006, 01:15 PM
As a brave friend of mine once replied to a docker who said somethign similar..... "So you like the sensation of having something big stuck up your arse then?". :D

:topic:

it's not being stuck up my arse, it's going in the other direction!!

anyways, stop making my thread rude and somebody answer my question about peanut butter!!!

peace and love
stardust
xxx

stormypagan
20-01--2006, 03:09 PM
The nut side is good but the palm oil isn't so good if you get one with palm oil in it. You can get whole earth peanut butter from the health food shop, lower in salt and sugar etc..

Atomik
20-01--2006, 03:12 PM
I'm not a great fan of Whole Earth peanut butter. I find it stodgy to the point of being unspreadable. When I try and spread it on toast, I end up with this mashed up mess where the bread used to be! Great for cooking though....

stardust
20-01--2006, 04:44 PM
is humous good or bad fat? or any fat?

Sarah
20-01--2006, 05:04 PM
is humous good or bad fat? or any fat?

Hi honey.... if you make your own hummus use olive oil and that is a very good fat for you :) try and look for hummus in the shops made with olive oil aswell.

As far as I know peanut butter isn't that bad for you - and as you aren't eating any saturated fats then would be a good way for you to get some extra calories... my favourite snack at the moment is organic rice cakes with peanut butter - two of those keeps me going for hours :)

Atomik
20-01--2006, 10:48 PM
my favourite snack at the moment is organic rice cakes with peanut butter - two of those keeps me going for hours :)Try 'em with tahini and alfalfa sprouts. Or if you're feeling plush, stick a layer of hazelnut butter under the tahini. :thumbup:

Whirler
21-01--2006, 09:14 AM
As far as my limited understand goes......the 'bad' fats tend to be of an animal source, and even those aren't dangerous unless you have them alot! (Not sure why you're worried if you used to eat so much cheese!) The fats that occur in nuts, pulses etc are of the 'good' variety, but to be honest, I don't think you need to concern yourself with good and bad when you're diet isn't that of a huge American anyway! Think I've posted this link up before -----> click me! (http://www.vegsoc.org/info/fats.html) :D

stormypagan
21-01--2006, 02:54 PM
hummous is good for you as it is full of calcium and iron from the chickpeas and the sesame seeds. You can get fat reduced hummous but it sounds like that wont be a problem for you Stardust :)

You can always make your own with tahini and olive oil as the others have said.

Exedous
01-02--2006, 09:46 PM
http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk

They do a 1kg Peanut butter tub, crunchy or smooth..{no jokes now....} They should be available in most health food shops.....i agree with stormy earth whrler and starfly, you should make your own Hummous, it tastes better, and doesnt look like smooth polly filla....hehehe

Ghost:pirate:

Whirler
01-02--2006, 10:09 PM
I don't like Meridian peanut butter, it's very difficult to spread and to use generally (use it to cook with too) I guess that's the role that palm oil plays maybe - to make it easier to use?