PDA

View Full Version : Hedgehogs in our garden

Count Casual
21-01--2006, 12:31 AM
We have seen a number of hedgehogs running around in our garden these last few weeks (no, I haven't been on the sauce again!) and we also have 2 or 3 living in our garage. They seem to come out at all sorts of times during the day:) .
Thing is, I thought they were nocturnal animals and they should also be hibernating now shouldn't they? It's been cold enough recently, -5 or 6C overnight?

wiggy
21-01--2006, 12:35 AM
yeah i thought they where ment to - maybe they dont wanna sleep lol - as long as they are happy, safe, then let them be. i wished we could get them but cant i love them though they are so cute lol

Atomik
21-01--2006, 09:51 AM
Apparently hedgehogs might be extinct by 2025 :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/conservation/story/0,,1687999,00.html

Sunny
21-01--2006, 10:33 AM
We have seen a number of hedgehogs running around in our garden these last few weeks (no, I haven't been on the sauce again!) and we also have 2 or 3 living in our garage. They seem to come out at all sorts of times during the day:) .
Thing is, I thought they were nocturnal animals and they should also be hibernating now shouldn't they? It's been cold enough recently, -5 or 6C overnight?

Oh wow that's brilliant! Is your garage warm? If it is they may be planning on sleeping out the colder spells in there. I think most of nature has got a bit confused this year particularly, because although it's cold, it's not as consistently cold as it should be, and there have been some times when it is so warm that i've seen wasps and bees coming out... maad... Also, they do wake up from hibernation sometimes to grab some food and such. I wouldn't worry too much, just leave some dog or cat food out to help and encourage them if i were you! Do they look quite big? They've got to reach a certain weight to survive the really cold spells, so if they're not very big, definately put some cat or dog food out for them :D. Whatever you do, do not give them milk. It's an old wives tale, but really they don't have the right enzymes to digest the milk and it can be really dangerous for them. Would you believe it, cat are actually the same - cats are milk intolerant too, but unfortunately love the stuff - which I guess is why people always give it to them. Milk is very bad for them though. For hedgehogs however, it's even more dangerous, so if you feed them just give them cat or dog food - if you have mealworms they like them crushed in.
Plenty of fat and protein for the winter :D

Try to work out where they are hibernating and keep a protective eye on it. As dok said, hedgehogs aren't having the easiest time in the world at the moment. You're so lucky to have the little monkeys in your garden, i've always tried to encourage hedgehogs!

Badgers, as lovely as they are, are able to pry open hedgehogs when they roll up - they then eat them from the inside out... There are then so many other things like slug pellets, cars, lawn mowers, washing line, bonfires, garden ponds with no steps, that all lead hedgehogs to their death. Keep an eye on them please!

Love,
Sunny
xxx

sorry, very passionate post - i've had to do talks on hedgehogs to schools numerous times (usually whilst being pricked by a hedgehog constantly at the same time :eek: )

Count Casual
21-01--2006, 11:48 PM
Hey Sunny, thanks for all the info!
I'd say we have 2 or 3 around at the moment but we get them all the time during the year. In the summer I sit out in the garden till around midnight and they come out looking for food and generally playing around on the grass. We feed them cat food and biscuits, they have their own dish out in the garage. When it's been really cold my wife brings them into the house for a while to warm up a bit. After a while they uncurl and start to move about which entertains the cats! They all get on really well though.
The garage is pretty warm as it's attached to the house, they are sleeping in a bag of straw which we had in there for the rabbit. I'll try and get some photos of them as they're quite cute :)

Exedous
22-01--2006, 12:08 AM
You want me to send some dogs round?? Hedgehogs do so much damage to hedges.....:lol:

Joke!!! I love hedgehogs, but remeber DONT feed them milk...tinned dog food is ok..{i think??}

Ghost

Whirler
22-01--2006, 10:47 AM
DONT feed them milk...tinned dog food is ok..{i think??} See Sunny's post above. :)