PDA

View Full Version : A noble fight for animal rights

Exedous
24-01--2006, 09:08 AM
:angel: OR :reddevil: You decide......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4629496.stm

The landed gentry are often associated with pursuits such as fox hunting and grouse shooting.

But the 15th Duke of Hamilton and his duchess are not ones to conform to such a stereotype.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41244000/jpg/_41244344_anguskayplane203.jpg The couple have helped highlight a number of animal issues

Despite being the brother of renowned Tory politician Lord James, the duke has admitted he is "unsympathetic" to the Conservatives.

An unassuming man, he is the Queen's official representative in Scotland but is quite happy to be referred to as Angus, and his wife insists on being known as Kay.
Come the Glorious 12th, you will not see them pulling on their wax jackets and loading their shotguns. They are more likely to be seen on a protest against blood sports.

Dedicated to animal welfare, their list of exploits is lengthy:

They famously boycotted Edinburgh's prestigious Jenners store after it refused to stop selling pate de foie gras, which they believed had been obtained as a result of animal cruelty
Angus has banned commercial shooting on his land since the 1980s
Kay runs a refuge and rehoming centre for Staffordshire bull terriers
Kay once came to the rescue of a Christmas turkey which escaped from a lorry heading for the slaughterhouse. She now has three "Christmas" turkeys
With the help of a former member of the special forces, Angus planned and carried out the undercover rescue of three bull terrier puppies from the hands of a dog-fighting gang
The pair were questioned by police over their alleged involvement with the "liberation" of a dog condemned to death under the Dangerous Dogs Act.However, Angus insisted he was not a big fan of animals.

"I can live without them but I don't want to see them treated badly," he said.
"We are all animals and my belief is that no creature should suffer at the hands of the human animal. "I agree with Arthur C Clark when he said that how we are treated in the future by a higher civilisation, may depend on how we have treated the animals in our care."

Ghost

Exedous
24-01--2006, 09:13 AM
"I agree with Arthur C Clark when he said that how we are treated in the future by a higher civilisation, may depend on how we have treated the animals in our care."

Ghost

I agree....:thumbup:

Ghost

Sunny
24-01--2006, 10:34 AM
that's as good article about them... I've heard about the Duchess of Hamilton before in different articles, and really I quite like her. :)
I don't blame her for wanting to talk to people in restaurants about fois gras.. I feel the same about that and veal and quite a few other things really. xx