PDA

View Full Version : British Juggling Convention!!!! 26-30th march

Athena
08-01--2008, 09:24 PM
SO whos coming???

Wednesday 26th - Sunday 30th March / the Dome, Doncaster

The British Juggling Convention is a yearly gathering of all kinds of circus performers, from hobbyists to professional performers, from jugglers to balloon modellers and unicyclists. Some people come hoping to learn new skills or polish old ones. Many people come to chill out in a juggly atmosphere, drink beer and enjoy the various shows and entertainment. It's up to you!
In addition to all the usual events, this year the BJC is proud to be hosting the very first British Kendama Championships (http://www.kendama.co.uk/competition.html).
BJC 2008 will be in a purpose built events venue and leisure centre, in Doncaster, South Yorkshire - easily accessible from the M1 or by train. See our venue page (http://www.bjc2008.co.uk/venue) for more details.
From now until 31st January we're offering five-day convention passes for only 60, or 30 for children. After that, the prices will be going up to 75/40. We're also very pleased to announce that BJC 2008 will be the first BJC to be able to take credit card payments! Please visit our store (http://www.bjc2008.co.uk/store) to pre-register.

be great to meet some hippies here!

stardust
09-01--2008, 09:32 PM
ooooh, thats my birthday!

i may well see ya there!

starpoi
09-01--2008, 10:18 PM
No going to that one but I am hoping to go to Bristol Juggling Convention in September.
I had the best time ever last time I went and I'll be a local this year (hopefully!)

jo_rhymes
09-01--2008, 11:18 PM
I'll be at the BJC :)

Skully
10-01--2008, 06:42 PM
Hopefully health and wealth willing Jon and I will be there.

Athena
11-01--2008, 12:43 PM
yaaaaaaay!!

Athena
16-01--2008, 06:14 PM
Stardust are you going straight there from Dorset? If so let me know...as I have an [obvious] brainwave!

Athena
26-01--2008, 10:31 AM
Oooh reallyl looking forward to this now!!

jo_rhymes
27-01--2008, 10:21 PM
just booked my ticket :)

Skully
28-01--2008, 03:09 PM
I just got our tickets too. See you there Jo (if not before!)

jo_rhymes
28-01--2008, 03:42 PM
yay! i love you skully x

Boz
29-01--2008, 10:15 PM
JimboWizbo and i both have our FIVE DAY PASSES and i've been showing all my friends. Anyone who is going and wants to meet up PM me and i'll give you my number or something

Athena
30-01--2008, 05:43 PM
Hey that's ace!!

Will PM you me number nearer the time Boz, and anyone else who wants to meet up...Jo and Skully!!!

*happy dances*

Boz
31-01--2008, 12:41 AM
Oooh! If you're going skully does that mean you'll be selling those pretty hoops? I've had my eye on one for a while...

Athena
31-01--2008, 01:58 PM
Oooh! If you're going skully does that mean you'll be selling those pretty hoops? I've had my eye on one for a while...

ditto!!

Blu
31-01--2008, 07:35 PM
Too skint!!!:cry:

Athena
31-01--2008, 07:40 PM
Too skint!!!:cry:

awww I'd love to meet you and Lister!

Is there no stewarding or anything like that?

Blu
31-01--2008, 07:45 PM
havent looked...howd i find out?

jo_rhymes
31-01--2008, 08:08 PM
I've looked on the site, and basically it says why not volunteer, but I'm not sure if it's free... worth emailing them though.

In any case, come down for the day when we do the parade thing and games in town! x

Blu
31-01--2008, 08:10 PM
yep, sounds good. Will get some practice before heading down tho....

Just sent em an e-mail, so I'll let you know what happens!

Skully
01-02--2008, 11:32 AM
If you want hoops I can make and bring them along. I don't have a licence to trade on site though so it might have to be a hush hush back of a van job. It might be just as well to order them on the website and have them posted to you. At least you'll be able to get some practice in before hand hehehe.

Boz
01-02--2008, 03:53 PM
All i was thinking is that i've been told theres loads of difffernt sizes and weights. I'll have a look around the site and a think though. Thanks.

Skully
02-02--2008, 12:13 AM
Have you ever hooped before or spun staff? Hoops do come in different sizes and weights. Usually people find the larger heavier hoops easiest to learn with because they travel more slowly than the little light zippy hoops.

Boz
02-02--2008, 01:19 PM
I've had a go at hula hooping once or twice with a massive heavy one. And i've spun staff a little too. But i've only used other peoples.

Skully
02-02--2008, 06:43 PM
If you have a history of object manipulation I'd say that you'll pick up hoop really easily. For utter beginners I advise them to go for the large hoops as they find them the easiest, but for someone that already has some object manipulation skills such as staff or contact ball then I'd say medium or small hoops are fine. Probably start out with a medium and work down to a smaller lighter one. It also depends on what style of hooping you want to learn. The more leg/arm style you want to do the smaller hoops are better, but if you are more into hoop dance with lots of on off body moves and leaping in and out of the hoop then medium to large is better.

Having said all this I have seen almost all moves with a hoop performed with both large and small hoops. It's a case of finding what you are comfortable with.

I will be at the BJC and I'll bring a range of sizes and weights and you can try them out.

Boz
03-02--2008, 08:42 PM
Cool. I was thinking maybe i'll have a go with my friends and order one from you, then can pay you with pay pal or in the post and i can get it off you at the BJC. then technically you werent traiding there, you just happened to have a hoop with you that you were intending to give me when we bumped into each other :D

Skully
03-02--2008, 09:26 PM
Yep, That shouldn't be a problem.

Shazaaym!
26-02--2008, 03:50 PM
Ooh, if you're in Donny, come to The Leopard (nr the train station) on the Sat night (29th March)...we've got Dub The Earth playing!

www.myspace.com/earthsounds (http://www.myspace.com/earthsounds)
If enuff are up for it i'll organise a group discount ;) Be cool to meet some peeps offa here as well :)

Also, we're looking for folk with circus skillz to come and do a bit at the Faslane benefit all dayer we're organising at the end of April. Food, places to kip and park up are all sorted (as well as a session afterwards! ;) :D )

Boz
26-02--2008, 07:38 PM
im not going anymore. if anyone wants to buy my ticket its for sale :(

Skully
29-02--2008, 01:11 PM
Boz let me chat to my sister and I'll get back to you. She said she wanted to go but was too busy. I might be able to talk her round :)

Skully
29-02--2008, 09:51 PM
Oh well my powers of persuasion failed. Sorry hun.

Athena
29-02--2008, 09:53 PM
Aww why you not coming BOz? Was looking forward to meeting you!

SKully I just looked at your profile and your interests, likes and dislikes aren't too dissimilar from my own, be good to meet you!

Boz
04-03--2008, 01:21 PM
Cause i cant afford it :(

Athena
25-03--2008, 12:54 PM
This is tomorrow!!!!

who is going!?!?

PM me your number if you want to meet up!

jo_rhymes
25-03--2008, 01:06 PM
I'll be there tomorrow afternoon, naeni, I still have your number from when I failed to meet you at Strawberry fair!! hahaha xxx do you have my number still sweets? x

Athena
25-03--2008, 01:44 PM
if it ends in 61 then yep i got it! yaaay see you then!!

jo_rhymes
25-03--2008, 02:34 PM
:woohoo::thumbup::hug::bounce:

Athena
25-03--2008, 02:39 PM
wanna be my partner? :D

On Wednesday and Thursday evenings we will be featuring jive dance lessons, leading up to an evening of dancing with our very own Gramophone DJ, spinning classic jazz and swing records.

straykite
25-03--2008, 03:54 PM
I'll also be loitering with intent in doncaster over the long weekend :D

people who were looking to steward for tickets will probably be out of luck as they tend to be pretty harsh about that kind of stuff these days ...

jo_rhymes
25-03--2008, 04:17 PM
ooh naeni! If will won't be my partner then yes definitely! :P x

Athena
26-03--2008, 10:10 AM
Anyone who wants to join in the BJC Stitch'n'Bitch: if you can bring along some acrylic yarn in dk/sport weight, and some needles or hooks (any size), that would be great. If you don't have any and just fancy a go, don't worry, there will be some spare that you can use.

:D :D :D :D

see you all later!!! hooks n' all!!

Athena
31-03--2008, 07:11 PM
woooo!!!

was really great definately goin again next year!

was good to meet you jo, straykite and skullys bloke, even if it was only breifly! My phone was dying a lot and then I lost it at one point so I relied on spotting people which didn't work too well! hehe!

thought the japanese bloke in the show was the highlight!

"mobile phones...apology...and...suicide!!!"

very bizarre fellow, though I think I could have watched him all night!

mama mia!!

I learnt a few poi thingies and came home with a staff and TWO hoops (my pissed up friend lost my Skully hoop and bought me another to make up for it...then I found it so now I have two, hehe!)

so lots more things!

I also learnt to KNIT! wooo!!

jo_rhymes
31-03--2008, 07:46 PM
yeah it was good to meet you too Naeni :hug:

my highlight was also the japanese guy in the show and the 2 diaboloists! The low point was the rain and wind and cold. :) Roll on Play festival!!

I have put my photos up on facebook x

straykite
01-04--2008, 09:21 AM
woooo!!!

was really great definately goin again next year!

was good to meet you jo, straykite and skullys bloke, even if it was only breifly! My phone was dying a lot and then I lost it at one point so I relied on spotting people which didn't work too well! hehe!

thought the japanese bloke in the show was the highlight!

"mobile phones...apology...and...suicide!!!"

very bizarre fellow, though I think I could have watched him all night!

mama mia!!

was a cool BJC as ever. Was good to meet you too, albeit briefly. The Japanese guy was my top show moment too - apparently he's called Senmaru, and not 'The Japenese Bloke' - the amount of time he spent trying to get us to remember his name and still non of us could remember the name of the 'most famous person from Japan' - "Jackie Chan .... Chiiiineeeese"

I failed dismally to not buy new toys and ended up with a gorgeous big shiny new acrylic ball - bliss. It's so pretty.

I also learnt to KNIT! wooo!!

was that meant to be woo! ?