PDA

View Full Version : Action - Foxhunting an English icon?

Milo
26-01--2006, 03:06 PM
Earlier this week the government launched ICONS, an initiative to find the top English (British?) icons.

There's a concerted campaign by the pro-hunt lobby to get foxhunting to win so, if you disagree, vote AGAINST foxhunting. (Perversely the chance to vote against is listed in the same window as the vote in favour).

And then vote in favour of one of the other front runners.

You can vote at Icon Nominations - Icons of England (http://www.icons.org.uk/nom).

Click on the yes button on the left hand panel.

Aunty Al
26-01--2006, 04:11 PM
There's only 9% against it at the moment so I guess we need to get busy!

Minwah
26-01--2006, 04:24 PM
How come they are still allowed to hunt anyway? I thought it was banned but it seems there is some loophole which means they can still do it...I know they do in Oxfordshire quite regularly.

Milo
26-01--2006, 04:59 PM
There's only 9% against it at the moment so I guess we need to get busy!

PLEASE get busy!

wiggy
26-01--2006, 05:06 PM
Wheres the bit you have to click - i cant see it

Milo
26-01--2006, 05:09 PM
Thumbs up or down, just below the big ?

wiggy
26-01--2006, 05:13 PM
Shit i hope i clicked on the right bit

it says 65% say yes!!!! i dunno if that is right or not

Milo
26-01--2006, 05:16 PM
I guess it is, but it was higher which indicates the good guys are hitting back, but nowhere near enough good guys yet.

wiggy
26-01--2006, 05:20 PM
Nope i agree - how many times can you vote?

matthew
26-01--2006, 05:29 PM
How come they are still allowed to hunt anyway? I thought it was banned but it seems there is some loophole which means they can still do it...I know they do in Oxfordshire quite regularly.

Hunts are no longer allowed to use dogs to chase down foxes, but are instead supposed to use techniques such as drag hunting, where dogs set off on the trail of a scent laid about 20 minutes in advance by a runner or rider dragging a lure.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/hunting/brief_guide.htm
http://www.supportfoxhunting.co.uk/index.shtml#timelines

Milo
26-01--2006, 11:09 PM
There are some nasty comments here: http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations/fox-hunting/comments

Paul
27-01--2006, 12:30 AM
Who gives a toss about British Icons anyway? It's only the poxy government and we all know what a bunch of twats they are.

I reckon that most of the people who vote for anything on there are gonna be nationalistic fuckwits who think that the British are superior to anyone and miss cucumber sandwiches on the lawn in the days of the empire.

Anusha
27-01--2006, 12:42 AM
i like cucumber sandwiches...:eek:

Milo
27-01--2006, 01:09 AM
Who gives a toss about British Icons anyway? It's only the poxy government and we all know what a bunch of twats they are. I reckon that most of the people who vote for anything on there are gonna be nationalistic fuckwits who think that the British are superior to anyone and miss cucumber sandwiches on the lawn in the days of the empire.

I agree entirely, apart from "who gives a toss" and I'm concerned that parts of the rest of the world will be amused at our silly little nation having not very effectively banned something very nasty which a bunch of twats have voted for as an icon.

Sunny
27-01--2006, 04:41 PM
Haha, some of them are really funny! I couldn't find foxhunting at all, but i voted for 'the fox' and 'the robin' and a good ol' cuppa tea!

Love,
Sunny
xxx

scothippy
27-01--2006, 05:32 PM
I voted for the fox as well, and Hawkwind...

Paul
27-01--2006, 06:20 PM
i like cucumber sandwiches...:eek:
Fascist :harhar:

matthew
27-01--2006, 07:24 PM
Who gives a toss about British Icons anyway? It's only the poxy government and we all know what a bunch of twats they are.

I reckon that most of the people who vote for anything on there are gonna be nationalistic fuckwits who think that the British are superior to anyone and miss cucumber sandwiches on the lawn in the days of the empire.

It's a bit of fun... stop generalising.. some brits don't have swastikas up in the attic you know :wiggle:

Paul
27-01--2006, 08:48 PM
It's a bit of fun... stop generalising.. some brits don't have swastikas up in the attic you know :wiggle:
Unless they captured them from the huns and brought them back to dear old blighty

Milo
28-01--2006, 08:43 PM
You can vote on foxhunting here too:

http://www.nfucountryside.org.uk/default.htm

But this http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations?sortcriterion=popularity&order=reverse

is the most important one.

Foxhunting is now at no.1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunny
29-01--2006, 08:53 AM
Christ these foxhunters are a relentless bunch aren't they? My friend is quite scary at the moment in that she's been signing letters saying she's willing to break the law in action for foxhunting and in all the crazy things she's saying and doing about it at the moment. Hmm, they'm pretty stubborn!

x

Aunty Al
29-01--2006, 05:03 PM

I just wouldn't put it past this government to reverse the decision on hunting if they think they will gain a few votes by adopting popular oppinions. Not that the change of law has made that much difference in practice anyway, but I think its important to get our voice heard on this one.

matthew
04-02--2006, 07:24 PM
I agree entirely, apart from "who gives a toss" and I'm concerned that parts of the rest of the world will be amused at our silly little nation having not very effectively banned something very nasty which a bunch of twats have voted for as an icon.

I don't think they would laugh..some would be bemused why we spent so much time on this issue.. Large hunts go on all round the world..

Milo
26-02--2006, 03:09 PM
I don't think they would laugh..some would be bemused why we spent so much time on this issue.. Large hunts go on all round the world..

Did you feel it was worth spending your time on this issue, Matthew? Amused, bemused, confused, etc, my point was that having almost got rid of a very nasty activity, we as a nation are on the verge of giving in to bullies. Again.

sensamelia
04-03--2006, 04:48 PM
fox hunting is awful
imagine how frightened the fox is
i would love to turn an angry pack of foxes on the hunters
see how they like it