PDA

View Full Version : Oat Milk

crap muppet
27-01--2006, 10:10 AM
Hi

My first post in this part of the forum (I like the green :D)

I had breakfast made for me today (Nice!). I had a bowl of cereal with home made Oat Milk from one of my Vegan housemates. What is the storyt behind this stuff? - it tasted fine to me, no aftertaste or anything. How does it compare nutrient wise to Soy or animal based alternatives?

I'm interested to see if this is a viable alternative? - If I can avoid using the alternatives (One is animal based and the other I have GM/Deforestation issues with) I will definitely go down this route as it will cut down on my global footprint.

Spiral
27-01--2006, 12:45 PM
I like an organic oat milk called Oatly which I have occasionally. Oat milks don't seem to have added vitamins like some soya milks (at least I haven't found one that does). As a vegan I like to have soya milk with supplimented b12 so I wouldn't used oat milk as my main sourse. Some rice milks are quite tasty too. As for nutrition, oat milks have less protein content and less fat than soya.

uma
27-01--2006, 01:03 PM
Rice milk tends to have added calcium to it, which is an alternative to having soya milk with the deforestation issues. I don't drink normal soya milk but i do eat tofu, and many many soya products...i know this isn't ideal but i suppose theres only so far you can go, if i stopped soya all together and was still vegan i think id get very very sick.... As i said not ideal, but we can only do what we can......
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

crap muppet
27-01--2006, 01:28 PM
Thats frustrating. As you can probably tell I am quite strongly against the Soya thing personally (Whilst its growth causes the damage it does anyway...). Do you get Vegans that are say allergic to soya protiens? How do they deal with it?

uma
27-01--2006, 01:29 PM
I havent heard of any. I wouldn't go down that route myself as you would be lacking in waaaay too many of the essential nutrients in your diet..... I think if you can minimise it wonderful, as thats making a difference. I suppose its just weighing up the advantages and disadvantages...
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

crap muppet
27-01--2006, 02:03 PM
I suppose its just weighing up the advantages and disadvantages...

As is always the case.

Sunny
27-01--2006, 04:51 PM
Thats frustrating. As you can probably tell I am quite strongly against the Soya thing personally (Whilst its growth causes the damage it does anyway...). Do you get Vegans that are say allergic to soya protiens? How do they deal with it?

I'm allergic to most soya milk because of a preservative that is often put in it i think - i've been fine with homemade soya milk, but not most of the shop stuff.

I love oatly and rice milk, so don't usually need to have soya stuff. Soya spread (the suma variety is what i've tried) was actually okay for me, so if I need buttery stuff i'll go for that, but I tend not to use buttery spreads anyway.

Just commented because I say your thing about allergies to soya really :)

Love,
Sunny
xxx

Sarah
28-01--2006, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know if Oatly is guaranteed gluten free ? could be agood one for us to try Charlie on .. hey andy hun can you ask your friend how they make the oat milk ? I know oats are gluten free but only if they are grown and processed in a completely wheat/rye/barley free environment so as to avoid cross contamination with glutens. Luckily he loves asda's own brand sweetened soya milk and we all love OY yummmmmyyyyyyyy but tis always good to try other alternatives :D

out_of_my_tree
09-02--2006, 03:55 PM
i looove oat milk, it's like drinking museli

moominmamma
09-02--2006, 07:17 PM
Does anyone know if Oatly is guaranteed gluten free ? could be agood one for us to try Charlie on .. hey andy hun can you ask your friend how they make the oat milk ? I know oats are gluten free but only if they are grown and processed in a completely wheat/rye/barley free environment so as to avoid cross contamination with glutens. Luckily he loves asda's own brand sweetened soya milk and we all love OY yummmmmyyyyyyyy but tis always good to try other alternatives :D

Sorry to dissapoint you on this one, but oats have gluten in them as far as I know :( ........However I think Asda sell a rice milk drink that you and Charlie could try.

uma
10-02--2006, 12:13 PM
Sorry to dissapoint you on this one, but oats have gluten in them as far as I know :( ........However I think Asda sell a rice milk drink that you and Charlie could try.

I second that, Oats do have gluten in them, but some people are alright with them, it depends how far your sensitivity goes..... But id avoid it if you'd rather be safe than sorry. You could try rice milk as moominmamma said or there are some almond milks too:) Good luck!
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

Rae
11-02--2006, 09:54 PM
Whats the price range for the vegan alternatives to things like cows milk, because I don't want to cut them out of my diet completly, but I wolud like to cut down.

By the way I'm poor.