PDA

View Full Version : Fairtrade Fiesta

frais
05-02--2008, 01:45 PM
A Feast for the Ears – Fairtrade Fiesta Friday 7th March

The taste of carnival comes to Milton Keynes on Friday 7th March. New Groove Formation and Senegalese super-stars, Lolou, will provide a feast for the ears at the FAIRTRADE CARNIVAL at Madcap Theatre, Creed Street, Wolverton.

New Groove Formation, with their eclectic mix of reggae, funk and ska which has earned them a growing following at festivals around Britain, is topping an international line-up to celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight 2008 in Milton Keynes.

“People who care about this planet choose Fairtrade. New Groove Formation are really glad to be belting out the Fairtrade message”, said NGF guitarist Haydn Jones.

“Jimi Hendrix meets Ali Farka Toure” is how the Senegalese band Lolou has been described. Their music reflects the vibrancy of Dakar, mixing Senegal’s trademark Mbalax sound with influences from Pink Floyd, Carlos Santana, Bob Marley and Steel Pulse. Based in London they have played with all the great names of West African music, and are performing for the first time in Milton Keynes.

Local jazz maestros Cathi Cook Quintet will add their voices to the Fairtrade cause. Tickets (£5 in advance, £6 on the door) are available from Madcap Theatre and from Sust!, Milton Keynes’s fair trade shop in the Food Centre (see www.sustmk.co.uk for details).
Change Today – Choose Fairtrade

Fairtrade has improved the lives of millions of people - farmers, workers and their families - in developing countries. It’s a success story that owes much to local campaigners promoting Fairtrade so consumers know that buying Fairtrade products can make a difference.

“So many of the nice things in life come from developing countries. Much of our chocolate, tea, coffee, bananas etc are grown by smallholder farmers and plantation workers who earn just enough to get by on, but not enough to get out of poverty or pay their kids’ school fees. Buying Fairtrade is not as an act of charity. The Fair price allows farmers to work their way out of poverty. It’s also a statement that we expect decent livelihoods for the people who grow the food we eat”, explained the Fiesta organiser Peter Williams.

Milton Keynes Fairtrade Forum is a local voluntary group promoting fair and ethical trade with local consumers businesses and voluntary groups. It will be holding stalls in Midsummer Place shopping centre, and co-ordinating other events across the city to celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight, such as the Fairtrade Fashion & Accessories Show at Sust! Shop on February 29th (see www.sustmk.co.uk for details). To find out more about Fairtrade and other events during Fairtrade Fortnight (25th February-9th March 2008) check out Milton Keynes Fairtrade Forum website www.mkfairtrade.org.uk

About LOLOU
Performing on the international music scene for many years, Lolou have toured with Senegalese superstars Cheikh Lo, Baaba Maal, Youssou N’Dour, Doudou Ndiaye Rose, Thione Seck, Omar Pene and Daby Balde. Their music reflects the vibrancy of Dakar where so many rhythms and influences meet and cross each other. LOLOU brings together musicians from different ethnicities (Wolof, Toucouleurs, Mandinka, Lebou), expanding the boundaries of Senegal’s trademark Mbalax sound.

Lolou take some of the most beautiful melodies, rhythms and harmonies inherited from different parts of the Mali Empire and blend them with influences from Pink Floyd, Carlos Santana, Aldi Meola, Bob Marley, Steel Pulse. "The best way of describing their music is Jimi Hendrix meets Ali Farka Toure !" Check them out on http://www.myspace.com/loloumusic

Lolou is a Wolof word which translates as "That's it, You got it". It means that you have found what you were looking for ... Moy Lolou La. Enjoy!

Milton Keynes Fairtrade Forum
City Discovery Centre
Bradwell Abbey
Milton Keynes
MK13 9AP
t: (01908) 227827
www.mkfairtrade.org.uk (http://www.mkfairtrade.org.uk/)

Global Centre
City Discovery Centre
Bradwell Abbey
Milton Keynes
MK13 9AP
t: (01908) 227827
www.sustmk.co.uk (http://www.sustmk.co.uk/)

princesstigermouse
05-02--2008, 01:45 PM
Ahhhh, that sounds awesome. It's too far for me to go, but sounds like a great day.

frais
06-02--2008, 07:21 PM
yeah I went last year and it was awesome! I'm really looking forward to this one!

*iris*
06-02--2008, 08:16 PM
I live in MK, I didn't even know this was on!!! I'm totally going, cheers Frais!!

frais
06-02--2008, 09:22 PM
he he i'll see you there then!

frais
06-03--2008, 07:15 PM
is anyone still going to this?

julianthegypsy
06-03--2008, 07:27 PM
I wish! Saving for dorset....IT WILL ROCK...

*iris*
09-03--2008, 12:38 PM
So, how was it Frais? I couldn't make it in the end :(

frais
15-03--2008, 12:39 PM
ah I couldn't either, my little girl came down with an ear infection, so I stayed home in the end! But I think one of the bands are playing at the sunrise festival so I'll get to see them there! :D