PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy bruising

AnnieAnne
31-03--2008, 02:22 PM
I needed to be put on a drip on Saturday :( (more details here (http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=443837&postcount=31)) and I had it taken out late yesterday afternoon. It was put into the crook of my right elbow. Today I have a huge purple bruise by where the drip went in and I think it's growing. It's making it painful to straighten my arm, or lift heavy things. I've asked Chris to get me some arnica cream, but is there anything else I can do to stop the spread of the bruising and help it heal? N.b., I'm pregnant, so that might limit what I can use.

Atomik
31-03--2008, 02:23 PM
Arnica - as cream or homeopathically. Dunno if it's "pregnant safe" though.

AnnieAnne
31-03--2008, 02:32 PM
Homeopathy seems to be OK in pregnancy, because the concentrations of the active ingredients are at such low doses, they're considered risk-free. The chances of Chris getting me a homeopathic remedy are slim to none, though, as he's rather a sceptic about it.

colours
31-03--2008, 02:33 PM
a ginger poultice might help draw it out

AnnieAnne
31-03--2008, 02:35 PM
a ginger poultice might help draw it outThanks, how do I make one?

Atomik
31-03--2008, 02:36 PM
The chances of Chris getting me a homeopathic remedy are slim to none, though, as he's rather a sceptic about it.Me too. However, homeopathic arnica worked near-miracles clearing up bruising after I broke my ankle. Could be placebo, could be coincidence... but I'd certainly try it again.

colours
31-03--2008, 02:43 PM
mix powdered ginger to a stiff paste with water

spread on gauze/linen

put in glass dish, ginger side up and cover with boiling water (not enough to wash off paste)

soak till hot but not burning

apply ginger side down and cover with a hot water bottle to maintain heat

hope it helps

Nutty Jo
31-03--2008, 02:56 PM
This link might help...........................

http://www.betterbodz.com/library/bruises.html

I've heard before that using ice initially followed by heat helps to draw out the bruise. Good luck :)

princesstigermouse
31-03--2008, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure arnica gel (http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=arnica+gel&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1) is quite a mainstream treatment for bruising, though? I know loads of scientific sceptical types who use it.

The other thing I would use is Tiger Balm (http://www.tigerbalm.co.uk/), which you apply topically, and then you slap the area lots of times in quick succession to bring the bruising right out (yes, it does hurt and you feel silly doing it, but it makes it heal a lot quicker!) but I really doubt that is pregnancy safe as it's very potent.

Atomik
31-03--2008, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty sure arnica gel (http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=arnica+gel&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1) is quite a mainstream treatment for bruising, though? I know loads of scientific sceptical types who use it.There's no real controversy when it's used in a lotion or gel, since it's not particularly radical to suggest that arnica has properties that aid in the reduction of bruising. It's the homoeopathic aspect that tends to attract scepticism, since the original substance is no longer physically present in the end product, meaning that no recognised mechanism exists to facilitate the delivery of any healing quality - thus according to conventional science, homoeopathic remedies can't possibly work.

AnnieAnne
31-03--2008, 03:14 PM
oh yeah, Chris is happy to get arnica cream (assuming the people in the healthfood shop say it's OK in pregnancy), but I think if they offer him a homeopathic thing, he'll decline.

Doesn't the slapping (with tigerbalm) make the bruising spread?

princesstigermouse
31-03--2008, 03:24 PM
Doesn't the slapping (with tigerbalm) make the bruising spread?
Don't think so. You know when you give blood, and sometimes they slap your inner elbow/arm several times in quick succession to get the vein up? It's like that. I always do it when I have bruises and I certainly haven't noticed it make the brusing spread out any, it just gets darker more quickly. It's something all the Chinese people I know do, so it could be a traditional Chinese medicine thing.

princesstigermouse
31-03--2008, 03:27 PM
There's no real controversy when it's used in a lotion or gel, since it's not particularly radical to suggest that arnica has properties that aid in the reduction of bruising. It's the homoeopathic aspect that tends to attract scepticism, since the original substance is no longer physically present in the end product, meaning that no recognised mechanism exists to facilitate the delivery of any healing quality - thus according to conventional science, homoeopathic remedies can't possibly work.

I getcha.

Weird, though, because Arnica Gel usually says "homeophatic" on the bottle... but I guess it can't possibly be, then, can it?

Atomik
31-03--2008, 03:36 PM
I getcha.

Weird, though, because Arnica Gel usually says "homeophatic" on the bottle... but I guess it can't possibly be, then, can it?I've never heard of a homoeopathic gel, so I've no idea.

Sarah
31-03--2008, 03:41 PM
My mum swears by arnica for bruising :hug: hiope ya arm feels better soon honey xxxx

princesstigermouse
31-03--2008, 03:43 PM
*checks bottle*

Mine says: "Pure Homeopathic Therapy Arnica Gel", but looking at the ingredients on the back, Arnica appears fourth in the list, which I think implies that there's quite a high concentration in there? Anyway, I have been told it's OK for pregnancy before, but I have just found this re: taking it internally...

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/faq/individualfaq.asp?Section=Pregnancy&SubSection=Medication&query=&opt=&page=&question=490

So as usual, there doesn't seem to be a clear yes or no on that one.

Atomik
31-03--2008, 03:47 PM
If arnica's present in any measurable quantity, then I don't see how it can be described as homoeopathic.

princesstigermouse
31-03--2008, 03:49 PM
If arnica's present in any measurable quantity, then I don't see how it can be described as homoeopathic.
Yup, that's what I was querying. It doesn't actually give the quantities though, so I'm not sure. I don't know how these things are produced.

*shrug* it works, in any case!

Atomik
31-03--2008, 03:53 PM
Yup, that's what I was querying. It doesn't actually give the quantities though, so I'm not sure. I don't know how these things are produced.

*shrug* it works, in any case!Quantity is kinda irrelevant. If arnica is measurable in any quantity, then it can't be homoeopathic, if I understand correctly. If you were to take a homoeopathic arnica pill to a lab, they wouldn't be able to find any trace of arnica in it.

princesstigermouse
31-03--2008, 03:54 PM
Quantity is kinda irrelevant. If arnica is measurable in any quantity, then it can't be homoeopathic, if I understand correctly. If you were to take a homoeopathic arnica pill to a lab, they wouldn't be able to find any trace of arnica in it.
Oh, wow - I didn't know that. I thought it was present in really, really tiny quantities. I guess the gel can't be homeopathic by that definition.

Atomik
31-03--2008, 03:59 PM
Oh, wow - I didn't know that. I thought it was present in really, really tiny quantities.No. It's diluted down to the point where it's no longer present in any measurable form - hence the controversy surrounding homoeopathy.

princesstigermouse
31-03--2008, 04:03 PM
Thank you for that, I don't think I had realised that for some reason. Homeopathy seems to work wonders for me most of the time, my GP is a homeopathist and spends a huge amount of time selecting the right treatments for me.

But I guess we can conclude that the gel isn't homeopathic, and therefore no controversy required!

AnnieAnne
31-03--2008, 05:22 PM
Well, he did get homeopathic arnica pillules, but that was because he just said, "can I have some arnica for bruising?" and that's what the people in the shop gave him - he didn't realise what he was getting.

I have taken the first dose, let's see what happens.

Stardusts Dad
31-03--2008, 06:57 PM
Have you thought about Witch Hazel - I've used it a lot for bruises and it does work for me....you can get it at Boots or other chemists.....just check with their pharmacist about the pregnancy angle though - not something I've had to do :whistle:

princesstigermouse
31-03--2008, 07:03 PM
I've been told witch hazel is OK during pregnancy - I think women often use it to soothe sore nipples, and for hemmorhoids.

Skully
31-03--2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.babyworld.co.uk/faq/individualfaq.asp?Section=Pregnancy&SubSection=Medication&query=&opt=&page=&question=490

reggaegotsoul
31-03--2008, 10:04 PM
My mum always tells me to put witch hazel on to help the bruise come out

AnnieAnne
01-04--2008, 05:07 PM
Well, he did get homeopathic arnica pillules, but that was because he just said, "can I have some arnica for bruising?" and that's what the people in the shop gave him - he didn't realise what he was getting.

I have taken the first dose, let's see what happens.Been taking the arnica for about 24 hours now, and it is looking and feeling a lot better.

gandalf's fists
01-04--2008, 07:25 PM
Oh Annie i'm so sorry! I didn't tell you about teh whole throwing up thing and i missed the thread you linked me to. I thought you'd know cause you worked somewhere medically random. I don't know if you have been told now, but you can get tablets from your gp to stop you throwing up if it's getting as bad as this.
Linky to one of the tablets a friend of mine was on.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002055.html

Don'tthink i need to say owt about the bruising, sounds like you got it in hand :)
Be very very carefull with the arnica. If it's not necessary then don't use it.

AnnieAnne
01-04--2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks Hedgewitch.

I'd already been prescribed some tablets by my GP a few weeks ago, but they didn't seem to be working, and the problem with taking tablets when you're throwing up so much is that you can't keep them down either.

When I went to hospital, they first of all gave me some anti-sickness stuff into my arm, which meant I couldn't throw it back up, and then when that had got the vomitting under control, they started me on some new tablets. I was on the ward by then, so the staff were able to check that this type worked for me, and as they do, they gave me some to bring home once I was discharged.