PDA

View Full Version : A minor accident

Anusha
05-02--2006, 06:35 PM
Kobi had an accident this morning... she was running around all excited like a bat out of hell and tried to jump a ditch to get into the field...she missed and fell heavily on the pallet that someone had put there to make crossing easier... shes limping and has grazes on her chest...i've massaged her leg and bathed her cuts but shes sore bless her...

she didnt move for about 5 minutes and i was so scared shed broken something.... middle of nowhere and i had visions of trying to carry a 7st lump of pure muscle home...:eek: ..theres something to be said for toy poodles afterall...:rolleyes:

best thing for grazes anyone?

wiggy
05-02--2006, 06:39 PM
Awww poor Kobi - hope she is ok

Salt water is very good for cuts - only a little bit in water and rub some with cotton wool - thats what my vet told me anyway

Does tea-tree work for cuts?

Hope she gets better soon xxx

Anusha
05-02--2006, 06:47 PM
i used some white spirit i had... white spirit?...maybe not...the sort you put on human cuts...not wash paint brushes out in... :eek: ..at least i hope not..

i wasnt sure how to use salt or if it really would help... i wonder what it is in salt that helps?...does it clean the wound or aid the sealing of it????

i didnt have any tea tree on hand..i really should get some..

hopefully she will have learnt not to run around at 90 miles an hour....but i doubt it...

wiggy
05-02--2006, 06:53 PM
Naa they never do, yeah salt water is ment to be really good - worth a go i surpose. Just get a cup of warm water and add some salt, put cotton wool in the water and apply it to her skin, it shouldnt hurt at all

And animals have a healing thing in their spit so after doing that let her lick it - thats ment to be good as well.

Milo cut his leg once when he decided to jump from a ledge into water and caught his leg on the way down - but he didnt cry or anything (brave boy) Poor Kobi

random_spontaneosity
05-02--2006, 07:20 PM
:( aw, poor kobi. :hug:

stardust
05-02--2006, 07:23 PM
salt sounds like a good plan. i'm not sure exactly how it works, but basically it sucks out any infection. at least thats what it did for my wisdom teeth, though i think if it's possible it's better to actually soak the area in salt water rather than just wipe it over.

hope kobi gets better soon.

peace and love
stardust
xxx

Whirler
05-02--2006, 07:38 PM
Yep, dentists advise rinsing regularly with salt water after having teeth out to avoid infection. Salt's very healing apparently......someone somewhere has written a book about it being one of the oldest trading items in history and it has all sorts of interesting properties that we don't know about! Unrefined salt (sea or rock) still retains its minerals unlike refined which has been robed of its goodness. Um, anyway, that's probably a whole other thread!

Are you thining of surgical spirit Pabs?

Exedous
05-02--2006, 07:41 PM
Aww, poor Kobi...im not sure what will work for Grazes, but she..{and you} are in my prayers, **HUGS** and kisses for you both..You could try, lavender oil tho that may not be good for wee Kobi...

Ghost:patch:

Anusha
05-02--2006, 07:46 PM
Are you thining of surgical spirit Pabs?

thats the one Sam...oh lol..before anyone freaks..

so table salt isnt any good..it has to be rock salt yes?...

if i can avoid a vet bill by a good home remedy i will.. if i cant find one then my vet is going to upgrade his latest sports car on the strength of my ignorance..

moominmamma
05-02--2006, 08:11 PM
Aww I hope Kobi feels better soon....I think if you haven't got rock salt to hand, table salt is worth ago.

My aromatherapy and essential oils book says " if your dog is cut or grazed, bathe the area in a water solution of thyme or lavender oil. Use 6 drops of either essential oil to half a washing up bowl of warm water. The essential oils will help clean the wound as they are natural antibiotics and disinfectants, and you can rest assured that if the dog licks the wound afterwards he won't be taking in any unnatural substances. "

Whirler
05-02--2006, 10:19 PM
:ditto:

Sunny
06-02--2006, 02:28 PM
Ah dear, poor Kobi... I'd just try what people have said about salt and lavender and thyme essential oils. There is also a good herb that helps bruising, although I can't think of it right now (i've had a strange weekend, can't think straight now!)... I'll come back to you if i can think of it! How is she now? Like other people who've posted, i'd reccomend bathing the grazes with warm salt water. Then soothe the area with essential oils. See how she goes on that. You're probably doing this already, but i'd create a relaxed and calm atmosphere around her. Just keep her warm, relaxed, and pampered. It sounds like she's probably suffering from the usual bruising and aches and pains of an accident like that, so i'd just try to get her to 'take it easy' for a while...

Hope some of that helps...

Sunny
xxx

Anusha
06-02--2006, 02:46 PM
thanks everyone...i took note and used your advice... Kobi's wounds are looking so much better and nowhere near as sore...I'll still keep bathing untill its all healed though..she isnt limping now and so far hasnt gone crazy...which isnt like her so i guess shes still feeling a little bruised and battered.. oh dear..i did panic...but its great to get some useful advice..:)

uma
07-02--2006, 11:46 AM
I think the herb sunny meant was witch hazel-you can get this in water and bathe the area with it. Also lots of arnica 30C which kobi could take internally-this will help her heal inside out :)
The salt solution is good as it is known as 'saline' solution. It basically immitates the healing fluid which is in your body already so just accelerates the healing process. so theres some trivia for you:D
In Dharma
Uma
x x x

Sunny
08-02--2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks Uma, yeah i was thinking of witch hazel :)

How is Kobi doing now?

Sunny
xxx

stormypagan
08-02--2006, 02:11 PM
Love and healing to kobi, the poor big lady!!

When I read this I automatically thought of arnica.. you can buy a cream version from health food shops, or take internally. It is great for bruising!! My sister uses it on her horses.

Salt water is the best for grazes, as is tea tree oil, as both have antiseptic healing properties!!

Lynvallen
08-02--2006, 08:41 PM
i wasnt sure how to use salt or if it really would help... i wonder what it is in salt that helps?...does it clean the wound or aid the sealing of it????
well one way it helps is preventing bacteria from multiplying. It kills the bacteria basically by dehydrating them, i think. Because bacteria absorb water and nutrience by osmosis, and putting them in a salt water environment reverses the water concentration gradient, causing all the water to be drawn out of the bacteria cell, thereby killing it and preventing infection.

(look at me going all science-y! i have learnt something in A Level biology afterall! :D )

hope kobi feels much better and heals well

Anusha
08-02--2006, 08:46 PM
well one way it helps is preventing bacteria from multiplying. It kills the bacteria basically by dehydrating them, i think. Because bacteria absorb water and nutrience by osmosis, and putting them in a salt water environment reverses the water concentration gradient, causing all the water to be drawn out of the bacteria cell, thereby killing it and preventing infection.

(look at me going all science-y! i have learnt something in A Level biology afterall! :D )

hope kobi feels much better and heals well

that was a useful bit of knowlege tucked away there...:cool:

and kobi is well on the mend now thanks...but back to running around like a fruitloop... but at least i'll be better equipped to deal with a similar situation now....

a big thanks to you all...its always a panic when a pet gets hurt i guess...:(