PDA

View Full Version : Being veggie is easy

wiggy
08-02--2006, 08:22 PM
I was thinking about how easy it has been, i havent made any slip ups and i dont regret it at all!! I thought maybe it would have been a bit hard and i mgiht have craved certain things containing meat or animal guts but i dont which is good. At the moment my dad is cooking steak i think and its making me wanna puke!!!!

Atomik
08-02--2006, 08:23 PM
Nice going, Wiggy. Yay you! :D

wiggy
08-02--2006, 08:24 PM
I know im so clever - i remember when i was younger and gave up meat the forst time and it was really really hard - with all the sweets and stuff but this time i know whats happening to the animals so its easy lol

Whirler
09-02--2006, 12:20 AM
Nice one Wiggy!! How long have you been veggie for now? The hardest thing I found when I first went veggie was seeing a chocolate gateaux defrosting in my mum's kitchen and then reading the ingredients on the box. I was soooo gutted when I saw gelatin! And angry, I was angry and upset, but never had any.........:D

wiggy
09-02--2006, 12:51 PM
I dont know how long - i cant remember lol. Naa i dont like chocolate that much so that isnt a problem at all, i think its easy to slip up on things you didnt think where really there!!! The chinese im having on saturday might be a problem lol - but they should do something veggie

Aunty Al
09-02--2006, 01:18 PM
Just be careful with chinese hun, as some of them will use chicken stock in a meal and then claim its veggie just because it hasn't got any lumps of meat in it. Likewise with fish in sauces. Hope you enjoy!

wiggy
09-02--2006, 01:20 PM
Ohh i never knew that - interesting. I might phone around and find a good veggie place - where i live there arent any veggie places i dont think so i cant even order from there lol - and im not cooking lol

Aunty Al
09-02--2006, 01:23 PM
you just need to ask specifically for a veggie meal without any chicken or fish products in the sauce. Stuff like black bean sauce you should be ok with I think, its more when you get veg and cashews in a unnamed sauce that its usually chicken stock. Phoning ahead sounds a good idea.

wiggy
09-02--2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah i think i will. What about Kormas from a curry shop - do they tend to use animal guts in that?

Aunty Al
10-02--2006, 10:51 AM
Most curry houses are much better at vegetarian really being veggie, but it never hurts to check I guess. mmm, curry. We're waiting for some cash to come in and I've promised myself a curry when it does!:)

Starling
18-02--2006, 06:14 PM
Look out for spring rolls (could have oyster sauce in them) and chop suey rolls (had beef in them when i asked).

Ms. Vee
29-03--2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah, it's a hell of a lot easier than you think it's going to be. I've been veggie for about a month now and haven't craved meat once. I thought I'd struggle and find it awkward, but I've really been enjoying trying out different veggie meals. Even went to my first vegetarian restaurant last night and the food was bloody gorgeous! Plus, I think my boyfriend is slowly warming to the idea of him giving up meat also... ;)

Milo
29-03--2006, 11:20 PM
Well done, Wiggy. You'll be a vegan in no time at all! :)

Whirler
30-03--2006, 08:18 PM
Even went to my first vegetarian restaurant last night and the food was bloody gorgeous!OOoh where did you go?

Ms. Vee
30-03--2006, 08:32 PM
OOoh where did you go?

It was a place called Oliver's in Ironbridge here in Shropshire. If anyone ever finds themselves in Ironbridge (which they should, because it's a lovely place) then you should definitely book a table.

Whirler
30-03--2006, 08:41 PM
Ooooooh, as Dok's probably mentioned to you, we love Shropshire!!!! Ironbridge is on our list of places to visit so I'll add that restaurant to the list!!! Coolies! :D

Ms. Vee
30-03--2006, 08:53 PM
Oooooh, I'm glad people love Shropshire!! Loads of lovely lovely places to visit, just a shame Telford ruins it a bit... But, yes - you and Doc should definitely move Ironbridge up to the top of your list!

Atomik
30-03--2006, 10:09 PM
We stayed here (http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/wilderness/) once. :D

Milo
31-03--2006, 02:19 AM
http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/accommodation-self/wildernes00002.jpg

Look, it's a hobbit hole!

Ms. Vee
31-03--2006, 11:09 AM
Ahh, that looks boootiful :D

pikey
01-04--2006, 08:50 AM
Also.......always Ask If The Curry Sauce At The Chippy Is Veggie Coz More Often Than Not It Isn't......they Aint Gonna Tell U Either......crafty They Is

Xxx

Aunty Al
03-04--2006, 03:39 PM
I think its cos they all use the same cheap brand, and its cheap cos its full of rubbish like chicken dripping. Yuk!

Starling
07-04--2006, 11:17 PM
I've just had some of the new quorn smokey bacon rashers... really nice!

Does anyone go to Morrisons?? I just noticed that their veggie product section has grew loads! All kinds of things.

The Original Laney
08-04--2006, 09:51 AM
I've just started going to morrisons!!

it has so much stuff :eek:

Whirler
08-04--2006, 10:56 AM
No, Morrisons here is shit. The veggie section's actually shrunk and the general attitude stinks.

Dharmamillo
08-04--2006, 02:40 PM
Being veggie is easy
Yes it is.
But I think being a veggie shopper is difficult.:rolleyes:

Paul
08-04--2006, 04:32 PM
No, Morrisons here is shit. The veggie section's actually shrunk and the general attitude stinks.
Yeah I noticed that yesterday, went in there for the first time in years and the only organic think I could find was a bunch of bananas.

Atomik
08-04--2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah I noticed that yesterday, went in there for the first time in years and the only organic think I could find was a bunch of bananas.That's coz Morrisons is good, gritty, down-to-earth Northern store. Organic veg is for Southern pansies!!! :whistle:

Starling
08-04--2006, 05:05 PM
I've just started going to morrisons!!

it has so much stuff :eek:

Yeh, there's two sections that have veggie stuff here. One in the veg section (Quorn ham/turkey, lasane, cottage pie, escalopes, etc., Veggiedeli beef/turkey, and Cauldron stuff, like falafal, pates, burgers and tofu), and one in the frozen section (Quorn bacon, burgers, mince, pizza, Linda McCartney pies, sausage rolls, sausages, lasagne, etc., and a few other brands, including Morrisons own). Some of that stuff is vegan too, not Quorn obviously.

You can also get Swedish Glace icecream (vegan)....... soooo nice!

pikey
09-04--2006, 03:17 AM
After feckin ages i actually went in 2 sains:o bury's 2day....... and my word their (veggy)FREEEEEZER section has got bigger...woooohooo 4 sainsbury's

The Original Laney
09-04--2006, 09:23 AM
Yeh, there's two sections that have veggie stuff here. One in the veg section (Quorn ham/turkey, lasane, cottage pie, escalopes, etc., Veggiedeli beef/turkey, and Cauldron stuff, like falafal, pates, burgers and tofu), and one in the frozen section (Quorn bacon, burgers, mince, pizza, Linda McCartney pies, sausage rolls, sausages, lasagne, etc., and a few other brands, including Morrisons own). Some of that stuff is vegan too, not Quorn obviously.

You can also get Swedish Glace icecream (vegan)....... soooo nice!

Yeah our one in poole has so much stuff!!

sensamelia
09-04--2006, 10:52 AM
morrisons here is shit
i go to asda much better organic range and veggie section
but why do you need a veggie section i never shop in a specific section its much tioo expensive
i think its just a case of knowing what ya can eat and what ya cant and steer clear of pre packed muck

Spacer
09-04--2006, 01:08 PM
I'm vegetarian, but would never check stuff like curry sauce or things like that. Maybe I'm just stupid in assuming these things don't have meat in them. I ended up gaving up Mayonnaise the other day :( which is a big thing for me, but I used to use it far to much and it's not great for you, to fatty.

Starling
09-04--2006, 05:36 PM
but why do you need a veggie section i never shop in a specific section its much tioo expensive

Well there's no way i just shop in the veggie section! :p I only get 2 or 3 items from there, just gives me some different options for meals, and ones that are very much like the meals i used to have, and miss, as an omni. I'm not a great cook, so it's good for me.

Peace-Phoenix
09-04--2006, 09:43 PM
Yeah i think i will. What about Kormas from a curry shop - do they tend to use animal guts in that?

I think most Indian restaurants would be fairly good. A lot of Hindus are vegetarians. And they would certainly avoid beef products. Remember in India, there was a big scandal where McDonalds were advertising that they cooked their fries in vegetable oil - which was true, but they had been prepared using beef fat at the factory. This angered a lot of Hindus in India, where the cow is a sacred animal....

Atomik
09-04--2006, 10:42 PM
I think most Indian restaurants would be fairly good. Two problems.

A lot of 'Indian' restaurants are run by Pakistanis, so chances are they'll be Muslim, not Hindu
I've been served meat by mistake twice in Indian restaurants in the last couple of years

phil
10-04--2006, 10:26 AM
I've tried (and failed) to go veggie a couple of times but always ended up feeling as week as fuck after a couple of days and eaten meat! I think i'd need to do better research before trying it again.

Aunty Al
12-04--2006, 10:14 AM
I've tried (and failed) to go veggie a couple of times but always ended up feeling as week as fuck after a couple of days and eaten meat! I think i'd need to do better research before trying it again.
Yeah, any change in diet requires an understanding of what foods your body needs and how you can obtain those nutrients and food groups within the limits of your diet. Drastic change in diet may take a few more than a couple of days to get to grips with, but as a lot of people now eat meat free dishes as part of their omniverous diets, I am wondering what you are actually eating that would have such a drastic effect or whether its partly psychosomatic. If you do want to go veggie, there are plenty of people here who can advise you and help get you started on a diet that won't do you harm!

phil
13-04--2006, 02:48 PM
Its chicken that i eat mostly. Well every night near enough.Its just kinda settled that way. Plus its cheap. Thats a nother thing my diet has to be. Mind you i imagine once you know what your doing veggie thats cheap too. I can usually eat veggie for a week at glast wiout much trouble!! Maybe i'llgive it a go in summer again!