PDA

View Full Version : My hamster!!!!

wiggy
09-02--2006, 04:46 PM
Righty ho i have a little hamster called Charlie and i know keeping animals in cages isnt nice blaa blaa blaa but if anyone has ever had a hamter help....

Right Charlie is about 3 and 1/2 now which is old for a hamster, yesterday she had dinner as usual, and today her belly is quite swollen - it might be because she ate to much and its just working its way through, her tummy isnt hard or anything and she is still eating and drinking and seems fine, i dont really want to take her to the vets because that will stress her out she will proberly die and they stab her in the heart to put hamster to sleep - and unless she is in pain and/or isnt eating i dont wanna do that.

But i dunno what to do, do hamsters get constapation (sp) also do they eat their own poo? Cheers

Sunny
10-02--2006, 07:11 PM
Righty ho i have a little hamster called Charlie and i know keeping animals in cages isnt nice blaa blaa blaa but if anyone has ever had a hamter help....

Right Charlie is about 3 and 1/2 now which is old for a hamster, yesterday she had dinner as usual, and today her belly is quite swollen - it might be because she ate to much and its just working its way through, her tummy isnt hard or anything and she is still eating and drinking and seems fine, i dont really want to take her to the vets because that will stress her out she will proberly die and they stab her in the heart to put hamster to sleep - and unless she is in pain and/or isnt eating i dont wanna do that.

But i dunno what to do, do hamsters get constapation (sp) also do they eat their own poo? Cheers

Crikey, I don't know all that much about hamsters, but poor Charlie! How is she now? I'd try not feeding her very much at all today. Just nice fresh water. Look in her cage for her store of food, and see what's in there - may be take some of that away if it is excessive. If it looks like it hasn't and isn't going to be touched, take it away. Hehe, you probably knew all that anyway!
Hamsters can get constipated, which is sometimes due to a lack of greens and water... So may be you could add a small amount of leafy greens to her diet? I didn't give it to him much, but my hamster, Barney, used to love cucumber. Really good for rehydration :D.
When hamsters, rabbits, and a number of other animals eat their own poo, it's called coprophagia - this is thought to be a good source of vitamin B and K, so leaving some droppings down when you clean out the cage is sometimes a good thing. Often they'll eat more droppings when they're not getting enough of the nutrients they need in their food though, so may be look at what you're feeding her? Or how what of it she's eating - I know a lot of rodents leave the horrible looking pellets in favor of the nicer maize flakes and such, so might be missing out on some of the nutrients they need.

Hope she's alright. Good luck!

Sunny
xxx

wiggy
10-02--2006, 07:18 PM
She is still the same today - her belly isnt any bigger. I proberly didnt mention i feed her fresh veg about 3 times a week, not enough to give her wet-tail but enough so she is happy. She is really old and sleeps alot now - i will wait till tonight and have another look. I dont like waking her up because she is so old lol - i will have a look at what she is leaving though - thanks xxx - charlie said thanks as well

Sunny
10-02--2006, 07:23 PM
:D Aww I hope she does okay... Hamsters are wonderful little animals. I'm not keen on keeping them anymore, but looked after lots when I was at college, and used to have them when i was younger. They're so fantastic. Three and a half is old for a hamster, but i have met some who were pretty damn old, so there's probably life in her yet!

xxx

wiggy
10-02--2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah i really dont want to take her to the vets though purely because it will stress her out and i used to work in a vets and they injct straigh into the heart!!!!

Minwah
13-02--2006, 12:10 PM
Wow he is doing well to live 3.5 years :) I think my little Percy made it to 2.5 or 3 years...he was a cool hamster, he liked his bed as much as me :D

He had something wrong with his skin for a long time before he died...we had to bathe him in water and put some powder on him. Poor little thing hated it...but he loved being held in a towel afterwards tho. His vet was called Mr Percy funnily enough, so he always got special treatment :)

Hope Charlie is ok :)

wiggy
13-02--2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah she still seems the same really - still eating, drinking, sleeping. I htink i will just watch her carefully and then see

Chegzy
13-02--2006, 02:33 PM
do hamsters get constapation (sp) also do they eat their own poo? Cheers
Hamsters defiantely get constipation and eating their own poo is their way of trying to deal with it, same for gineaupigs
They sometomes just eat thir own poo to get more nutrients out of it, rabbits would die if they didnt eat thir poo caus their digestive systems arent eficient enough.

Give little hammy some apple and see if thet perks him/her up.

But good on you for getting her to 3 1/2!!