PDA

View Full Version : World News Hamas

out_of_my_tree
09-02--2006, 09:40 PM
So America and its allies go to war in the middle east, to bring liberty and democracy to its people. The people of Palestine democraticly elect a party and the west is suddenly pissed off at that. I know it is not surprising due to the militant aspect of Hamas, but how much more hypocritical can you get. I guess it is the Palestinians peoples fault for not democratically choosing the leaders that the west wants for them.

Oracle
09-02--2006, 11:29 PM
There are also concerns amongst a lot of the Palestinian people that Hamas is going to enforce religious law upon them, they're already started by banning all western music being played on their radio stations, and they have made all radio stations play verses from the Koran 5 times a day when they pray.

Lots of Palestinians are preparing to stage demonstrations and protests because they are scared that Hamas will be more of a dictatorship than listening to what the people want.

So the chances are that they will lose power one way or another, either from within their own people or from outside, or maybe a bit of both.

out_of_my_tree
09-02--2006, 11:42 PM
There are also concerns amongst a lot of the Palestinian people that Hamas is going to enforce religious law upon them, they're already started by banning all western music being played on their radio stations, and they have made all radio stations play verses from the Koran 5 times a day when they pray.

Lots of Palestinians are preparing to stage demonstrations and protests because they are scared that Hamas will be more of a dictatorship than listening to what the people want.

So the chances are that they will lose power one way or another, either from within their own people or from outside, or maybe a bit of both.

There is always going to be opposition to the government that is in place, so i am not surprised people will protest. But when it comes down to it the majority of the people voted in what was aparently an unrigged election, so i find it hard to believe that a couple of weeks on everybody has changed their minds and wants them out of power. Maybe i am reading the wrong things, but most palestinian opinions that i have read are that they think Hamas will end the corruption of the past.

Starke Ravinmad
10-02--2006, 03:44 PM
They chose a dictatorship over a corrupt government. They chose what they felt was the lesser of two evils. That was a pretty tough choice to have to make.

It does have a positive side though. Now the Hams can't do any terrorist acts because being in power makes it an act of war. They aren't annonymous anymore, which is what gives terrorists their power.

matthew
10-02--2006, 06:29 PM
I think people voted for hamas even if they did not really wish to.. better than what was their before. ?.. Almost like a protest vote..

I don't think it is hypocritical of them to continue to scorn Hamas .. Its still the same underneath [more than likely].. Its slate was not wiped clean .. was it ?.

What should happen ? 'we' open are arms after such a short space of time and embrace them ?.. Trust will have to be garnered on both sides..

I think a independant group or groups will talk diplomacy with all sides

http://www.danielpipes.org/article/2545

Spacer
15-02--2006, 08:48 PM
People will have to open up talks with them eventually. It was the same in Northern Ireland. By talking to Sinn Féin and brokering ceasfires and peace agreements, eventually the IRA were disbanded. An extremely hard line towards them by the EU, US and Israel will help nobody.