PDA

View Full Version : Using my Dog For Stud...

mudpuddle
10-02--2006, 08:14 PM
I Have Recently Been Approached by an Old Friend of my mother who has come into Ownership of a Two Year Old Golden Female Labrador...

She Wanted to Know if I Would mind Her using my Dog as Stud...So that He Could Mate With Her Bitch...

In Return I Would get Pick of the Litter...

Well I Thought this was All Very Exciting...Thinking I Could End up with a Balto Junior...(Balto is His Name) But Now Thinking About it I'm Not too Sure...

Balto is a 7 Year Old Male Black Labrador...Rescued Dog...

He Has the Most Amazig Temperament of Any Dog I Have met...And Amazingly Friendly...

Except He Has Never Been Hip Scored...And His Hips Have Been Really Bad in Past...Sometimes He Can't Get up Step into Flat and Literaly Falls...
Not Only Am I Thinking this Would be a Bad Trait to Pass onto another Generation...Would Would he be Actauly Able to Mate With Such Bad Hips?

They're Not Bad All the Time...I Can Take Him for Long Walks and He is Fine...But when he Gets Excited...His Whole Body Twists to the Side...Worrying...

Another Thing...Is it Right to mate Dogs When the Woman Has Never Bred a Dog in Her Life? That All the Dogs she Has Had in Possession...She Gave Away...All Her Fish Have Died...Every Cat she Has Ever Owned Mysteriously Dies...

One Part of my Mind is Saying...Go For It...Go Get your Balto Juniour...

But Another Part is Very Cautious...And She Plans on Selling the Puppies for 300>

I Would Not Like to be Part in Any Scam...It Seems Very Un Professional...

I Don't Know if this is Right...

???

wiggy
10-02--2006, 08:23 PM
personally i wouldnt do it, with the problems your dog had they willget passed on, with the fact that she had other animals and they have died, with the fact that there are loads of other dogs that need new homes and im sure you wont want one of the pups to be one of them, i dont agree on selling animals on either i think thats just wrong. Sorry but naa i wouldnt

scarlett
10-02--2006, 08:27 PM
don't do it...it will be unfair on the puppies, as you really do not know baltos past family history or if he does carry any bad genes...plus the woman who wants to use him as a stud dog sounds vile.

Dready Warrior
10-02--2006, 08:31 PM
please dont be part of this..... go and look round some animal shelters.... see how many unwanted dogs there are in this country its very sad. personally i think breeding like this should be banned, obviously accidents happen (as with us humans!) but deliberatly bringing into the world puppies when there is already so many living in shelters is rather unethical. if you want another dog think about adopting one please!

Lanky Midget
10-02--2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe Balto will decide for you?

I hope so. I don't know too much about professional dog breeding, but this sounds more like experimenting than controlled breeding.

In fact, it sounds like she's heard somewhere that the pups/dogs will be sought after, and she's after the money...

If time allows you, I'd suggest delaying a decision until you've checked how the reputable breeders operate, and just how greedy this lady appears..

mudpuddle
10-02--2006, 08:44 PM
I Don't Think I Will...

It Doesn't Seem Right...I Think Bredding is Best Left to the Experts...

And I'd Doubt the Puppies Would Survive Long...And Even if they Did They may Not Go to Such Great Homes if All She's After is the Money...

I Only Considered it Since it Would be the Off Spring of Balto...But That's a Stupid Reason...

Well Thanks For the Advice...

I've Been Thinking About Adopting Another Dog For a While...I Think I Will Since Balto Has Turned out so Fine...And He's a Rescued Dog...

wiggy
10-02--2006, 08:49 PM
good on you - great choice

Lanky Midget
10-02--2006, 08:54 PM
All three of my dogs have been rescued in one sense or another....

And they're great! Even though they've all been mongrels too...

Yeah, I'm glad you're having second thoughts...

mudpuddle
10-02--2006, 08:56 PM
Can There Possibly be a Better Breed of Dog than a Labrador?

Seriously...What Fantastic Dogs!

wiggy
10-02--2006, 08:58 PM
They are they do have a few health probems but they are excellent dogs - i love them - i used to have a irish wolf-hound X lab and he was the best dog ever

Dready Warrior
10-02--2006, 09:05 PM
Can There Possibly be a Better Breed of Dog than a Labrador?

Seriously...What Fantastic Dogs!

my first dog as a child was a lab and he was lovely. these days though a lot of labs have temprement problems because they are so popular they have been over-bred and in-bred. text below taken from http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com

Labrador Retrievers used to be one of the safest breeds you could buy, but sadly, this is no longer the case. Obedience instructors and behavioral consultants are seeing more and more Labrador Retrievers who are neurotic, hyperactive, or dominant/aggressive. It's the unfortunate result of popularity that the typically glorious Labrador Retriever temperament can no longer be taken for granted.

mudpuddle
10-02--2006, 09:09 PM
Oooooh...

I Didn't Think it was Possible For a Lab to Have Behavioural Problems...

O.O Agressiveness!