PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article - Sex in the 1940s

Atomik
30-09--2005, 10:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4293978.stm

Enjoy :grin:

stormypagan
01-10--2005, 12:57 PM
Interesting reading, just goes to show the sanctity of marriage worked well even in those days hehehe

Bit silly to think otherwise really :mrgreen:

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Dapablo
03-10--2005, 12:35 PM
Procreation is our purpose always was, always will be.

Whirler
03-10--2005, 09:43 PM
I remember a programme on Channel 4 (I think) last year about sex during the first half of the 20th century. There were some shocking stories, one inparticular was a women who didn't like having sex with her husband even though she 'knew' it was her duty so she avoided it as much as possible. In the end he came home one day and hit her over the head and buggered her. I can't remember what happened after that but it was the man that was interviewed and he admitted to feeling wrong and guilty over what he did and said he just didn't know any better! One woman talked about seeing her doctor 'cos she thought she had something wrong with her 'cos she didn't like sex, and he had a variety of dildo's so she had to pick one that was the same size as her hubby (said she guessed 'cos she'd never seen it!) and the doc 'taught her how to enjoy sex'! Not bad work eh?! Then there were cases of couples really being into each other sexually. Actually, I'm not sure anything much has changed.......

Lozi
16-10--2005, 07:50 PM
sex scares me

Atomik
16-10--2005, 09:29 PM
sex scares meThat's coz you do it with the lights out :whistle:

scothippy
29-11--2005, 12:51 AM
sex scares me

Me too, only i aint done it yet, see at this age you do tend to worry a little bit.

zig zag
29-11--2005, 04:18 AM
Procreation is our purpose always was, always will be.

I have no purpose then :( Guess I'll just have to continue with the hedonistic partying instead :insane:

Chazz
29-11--2005, 09:00 AM
I remember watching the programme, and much of what I thought about it has already been said by others here.

IMO It's another example of how society shuns away from honesty. With the Church having lead the double standard for a few hundred years.

I'm not sure if procreation is the only purpose of sex, although I'll agree that it's obviously a f***ing important part.

I also see sex as a way of bonding, not merely for reproduction, but for decreasing our isolation from others, and a motivation for our own inidvidual existence. I would say that sex and its related bonding gives me the best part of my life.

I have a son, no daughters by blood, but I have close friends who I care about who are in their teens and facing learning about sexuality.
Fear of pregnancy and disease at least have some obvious solutions.
Fear of sex itself is not easy to deal with in a society that is so closed about sex, so I sympathise with those that face this fear.

So to Scothippy and Lozi, may I wish you that whatever experiences do come your way, they will be with partners who treat you well.

Dapablo
29-11--2005, 10:13 AM
I have no purpose then :( Guess I'll just have to continue with the hedonistic partying instead :insane:

Bit of a harsh statement by me really, it was intended only on the animalistic level. I do believe the human being is a lot more than that really, hence our ability to party. :)