PDA

View Full Version : Are we open enough about sex?

wiggy
24-02--2006, 12:09 AM
Do you think people are open enough about sex?
Is there enough sex talked about in school?

I dont there we are, I think people want it to be a open subject but dontknow how to approach it!!! It will never be a dinner topic - that would be funny though - "so dear how was your day" Shit, what position do you wanna do it in tonight " It just wouldnt happen.

In schools they teach what you get from sex, how to have sex, but they dont teach you that sex can be fun. I remember the video about the man and woman who have sex and 9 months later she is screaming again but somethings coming out lol

Its still such a taboo subject - but should it be?

Exedous
24-02--2006, 12:33 AM
We should teach more about more emotions, not just the consequences of sex. British people are as a nation reseved...so hence, sex will always be either at worst a jocular or laughed about subject. We have many taboos...im enlightened on this site, how open people are, but yet....

Emotions are a very important part of this subject. Sex is something we share..at least we should share our knowledge.

:patch:

Alanalea
24-02--2006, 12:36 AM
My husband and i are VERY open about sex, which is nice because we can both achieve each other fantasys. Being so open has helped us realise that we enjoy things that we would never normally try.

I don't know why it is such a taboo subject.. Nearly everyone does it but hardly anyone talks about it. Maybe if everyone started talking about it so openly, it would talk some of the fun out of it?

wiggy
24-02--2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah I agree we should but still its a funny subject its embarrassing for some people, i think alot of the hippy- free love stuff isnt around anymore - which isnt a bad thing. But that taught people what sex was!!!!

jenni
24-02--2006, 12:53 AM
i raised this debate in a sex education lesson.....the teacher veered off subject and told us about stds.....

i guarantee that kids talk plenty about sex....just in the wrong way - tis all 'i did her/him' and 'my penis is bigger than yours' type crap - just once i'd like to find some teenagers who aren't afraid of the word 'orgasm'....sure, they'll have the sex, but they won't respect themselves or their partner for it.....

taking about it seriously just isn't an option - you can't go to parents, teachers....and the other teens mock you....:insane:

this is all generalisations of course, and tis based on my area only....but yeah....

Exedous
24-02--2006, 01:05 AM
Ahh memories, nothing changes...i feel for you jenni, it was like that wen i was a nipper. "I was clueless about sex till i fucked my gym teacher"...{sorry couldnt resist that movie line}

ecomamma
24-02--2006, 02:20 AM
Too open in some ways...wheres the magic & mystery...

its all so clynical...

phil
24-02--2006, 02:03 PM
When i was young we didnt have any sex education in school and my parents wouldnt of dreamt of talkin about the subject with me. you get through it all with the people you meet and have nervuos experiments with. I look back at how mysterious and magical it all was. In hindsight i'd of hated to have it all over explained and drawn out for me. There's no need to worry trust me, young people will have their hormones driving them to find out. as long as they know about contraception and std's let them have the magic of discovery. they've all their lives to find out. I still think its a magical think and become ilke bloody science if over explained.

Exedous
24-02--2006, 02:11 PM
I agree phil...but its the emotional part of it...the heart and soul mechanics, that we hide...that, i agree can only be learnt...

scarlett
24-02--2006, 03:44 PM
considering mother was raised a catholic she always answered my questions quite well...unlike the nuns who taught me...it still makes me laugh today ...nuns and sex ?...it's a bit like getting myra hindley to teach you childcare:rolleyes:

when my son came home one day and asked ''can you get pregnant up your bottom''...i knew i needed to sit him down and explain etc...they'd had sex education lessons with diagrams etc. but with little or no explaination of love, fun or where you can or can't put it:D ..luckily my sis is a social worker so i was able to get hold of books and a rather sweet bbc cartoon video explaining sex,life and love...and it was without the usual ''mummy and daddy when they get married'' tripe that usually goes along with taught sex education...i've also ,when he has asked, talked about sex and love from a gay,bi,transgender perspective because we have many friends who are not your average couple with 2.4 kids...
he is still at that age where he finds it is all a bit gross :p ..but hopefully when he is of the age to start experimenting he will think it second nature to wear condoms and have respect for his partner...time will tell;)

jenni
24-02--2006, 04:28 PM
When i was young we didnt have any sex education in school and my parents wouldnt of dreamt of talkin about the subject with me. you get through it all with the people you meet and have nervuos experiments with. I look back at how mysterious and magical it all was. In hindsight i'd of hated to have it all over explained and drawn out for me. There's no need to worry trust me, young people will have their hormones driving them to find out. as long as they know about contraception and std's let them have the magic of discovery. they've all their lives to find out. I still think its a magical think and become ilke bloody science if over explained.

I agree....but it really bugs me when teen folk completely miss out on the magic because they don't think about it for themselves and nobody metioned it to them....many assume it's just a pointless romantic notion and go round spreading that negative energy to partners that they don't respect and having more experiences that will only deprive them of an important experience....

i suppose that most will eventually find someone that they really click with...but there are so many whose self-worth is horribly damaged because when sharing that intimate moment all they feel is exposure and insecurity where there should be comfort and pleasure

so i reckons that somewhere along the line, someone should probably give us all a kick in the head about that one...

Rook
24-02--2006, 05:18 PM
We are not open enough with other adults let alone our kids. But I agree that the emotional side should be emphasised as much as the biology. I remember all we were taught was biology and that we shouldnt do it. The odd thing in my school was that the top class was taught a year before the rest of the school. Was that because the top set would be less roudy to teach or that we were swots and the rest of the school had a lsocial life and had therefore worked it out themselves I wonder?

shaun
25-02--2006, 10:46 AM
We are not open enough with other adults let alone our kids. But I agree that the emotional side should be emphasised as much as the biology. I remember all we were taught was biology and that we shouldnt do it. The odd thing in my school was that the top class was taught a year before the rest of the school. Was that because the top set would be less roudy to teach or that we were swots and the rest of the school had a lsocial life and had therefore worked it out themselves I wonder?

that still goes on now too. a was in the middle set at school (not to thick not to bright you know) and the top set got far better sex edd than we need. i think the schools are still very out of thouch with the kids when it comes to sex. but there are a few good organinsions that are strating to use new ways to get the same old message across. I think they spend to much time just telling people to 'use a condom'.ok it's a fair piont you should use a condom but if they explained to kids what sex turely is about i think people would have that repect towards it anyway.

being open about sex is the way forward. imagine all the people having bad uncofable sex just becouse they frightened to talk about it with each other.

Firinne
25-02--2006, 11:13 AM
I don't think we're open enough about it at all, even between adults it's usually a taboo subject and a lot of people react with horror when you do talk about it .... especially your sex life itself, it's as if what goes on in the bedroom should be a secret. Pfffft, if I have multiple orgasms there's no way I'm not going to smugly relay every detail to my best mate ;)

Brick
26-02--2006, 03:34 AM
I don't think we're open enough about it at all, even between adults it's usually a taboo subject and a lot of people react with horror when you do talk about it .... especially your sex life itself, it's as if what goes on in the bedroom should be a secret. Pfffft, if I have multiple orgasms there's no way I'm not going to smugly relay every detail to my best mate ;)
..And everyone else within earshot... :whistle:

Firinne
27-02--2006, 09:29 AM
..And everyone else within earshot... :whistle:
LMAO! I usually have those conversations out of general earshot :harhar:

phil
27-02--2006, 10:00 AM
I asked a female friend if she'd slept with her new fella yet and she said "look i'm not one to kiss and tell, but i'm also not one to get laid and shut up, hell yeah i did and it was ace" :)