PDA

View Full Version : World News If all the banks crash, what could happen? Feel free to fantasise.

jisha
17-09--2008, 07:17 PM
I know its unlikely, but it might possibly good if everyone was reset to zero. Imagine what we could do...if people had to own property, maybe where ever you slept on one night would be owned from then on by all the people sleeping there. So housing would all be shared out. WOuld perhaps have to say it all applied yesterday, to stop people taking other people's homes.

If everyone is declared bankrupt, what would happen next? WOuld no-one be allowed bank accounts or would the laws change?

I'm writing this watching channel 4 news with the presenter saying this is "the biggest financial story of our lifetime." Could get bigger.

Hope none of you work for Lehmans and find this too flippant, I'm just daydreaming.:sleep:

Fibi
17-09--2008, 07:20 PM
mate i would LOVE that, tbh i am prepared for a stormy one but i reckon its what this country needs!

kevin
17-09--2008, 07:25 PM
definatly be a good thing, alot of rich people would suffer more than most, ive managed without a bank account in the past, but you're forced into the system what can you do?:wall:

Barefoot_Surfer
17-09--2008, 07:26 PM
If all the banks started to crash I will tell you what will happen, and it isn't pretty either. Start to think on the lines of riots, anarchy, etc...

Supermarkets will be cleaned out, businesses will just collapse, people will be starving, looting in the street, inflation going absolutely berserk. Good example of a country to look at as an example would be Zimbabwe.

Matt

lulu62uk
17-09--2008, 07:29 PM
Chaos would happen that's what, whose going to pay the wages of the police, fire, ambulance services, whose gonna pay granny's pension, the dole, for hospitals, what about the gas and electric. How would you get fuel to get out of the country. If nobody could pay you wages would you go to work. How would you buy food.

Chaos, that's what would happen:faint: :panic:

jisha
17-09--2008, 07:31 PM
If all the banks started to crash I will tell you what will happen, and it isn't pretty either. Start to think on the lines of riots, anarchy, etc...

Supermarkets will be cleaned out, businesses will just collapse, people will be starving, looting in the street, inflation going absolutely berserk. Good example of a country to look at as an example would be Zimbabwe.

Matt
but what if it were organised? Just what if?
How would you LIKE to sort it out, if you could?

matty
17-09--2008, 07:39 PM
claire here.. being everso naughty and posting on mattys name!

so.. if human nature fundamentally changed, so there was a utopian state.. where everyone was equal, and no one wanted to be the boss.. where everyone owned the same amount of everything..

it would take a bit more than a bank crash to make THAT happen..imo

mellowguy
17-09--2008, 07:49 PM
definatly be a good thing, alot of rich people would suffer more than most,

The rich will be fine. They will lose a lot of money, but they will also keep a lot. It will be the poor and everyone else of varying levels of wealth that will suffer the most by far.

bikebodger
17-09--2008, 08:19 PM
A bank crash would be a bad thing for (I guess) most people on here.
As barefoot Surfer says, this would lead to riots and chaos, I wouldn't use the term Anarchy, as I see it in the true meaning of the word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy), rather than the Daily Mails interpretation...

So - banks collapse, inflation skyrockets, looting, food queues leading to riots, martial law...
Hmmm

We aint gonna get a utopian society this generation, even if it all went down the tubes and everyone simultaneously suddenly forgot the freemarket capitalist ethos that they have been programmed with since birth...

I refer the right honorable member to the thread posted earlier (http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=546169)...

yoursinuk
17-09--2008, 08:50 PM
as long as I get enough notice to..:reddevil: ..max out me credit cards first:wiggle: :wiggle: :monster: :rockon: ..otherwise I would be well pissed off.:mad: :mad:

GIROGUY
18-09--2008, 03:59 AM
if the banks crash, so does the west! its that simple, we are in murky waters! buy a little more tinned food, especially if you have a family.

Barefoot_Surfer
18-09--2008, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't want to be in debt when banks crash. One of the things the banks will do is recall that debt to try and keep the bank solvent while it give everybody their money back.

Matt

GIROGUY
19-09--2008, 04:02 AM
hyper inflation, deflation, dollar crash...lets all take bets! i bet a dollar crash, then hyper inflation! theres no chance in hell we will be smelling the roses after this.

aphrodite
19-09--2008, 10:30 AM
if anyone here has read anything by David Icke he prodicted the collapse of the banks in the 80's as part of the take over by the new world order

Atomik
19-09--2008, 10:33 AM
if anyone here has read anything by David Icke he prodicted the collapse of the banks in the 80's as part of the take over by the new world order... which he believes is run by alien lizards wearing human skin. :whistle:

willowphoenix
19-09--2008, 11:08 AM
... which he believes is run by alien lizards wearing human skin. :whistle:thats George Bush rumbled then :whistle:

Nos1959
19-09--2008, 11:21 AM
Just take a look back at history...the 1929 financial crash...followed by the Great Depression, that'll give some idea as to what could happen.

Patsy23
19-09--2008, 05:00 PM
A bank crash would be a bad thing for (I guess) most people on here.
As barefoot Surfer says, this would lead to riots and chaos, I wouldn't use the term Anarchy, as I see it in the true meaning of the word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy), rather than the Daily Mails interpretation...

So - banks collapse, inflation skyrockets, looting, food queues leading to riots, martial law...
Hmmm

We aint gonna get a utopian society this generation, even if it all went down the tubes and everyone simultaneously suddenly forgot the freemarket capitalist ethos that they have been programmed with since birth...

I refer the right honorable member to the thread posted earlier (http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=546169)...

It's not going to be pretty, we're going to need some luck! OFWAGD! :rolleyes:

moyne
19-09--2008, 07:08 PM
It would be maddness, fighting, looting and Corned beef on the black market.

I just don't understand why they just don't print some more money of the press!

yoursinuk
19-09--2008, 07:14 PM
preston raises an interesting point (much as I hate to admit it!)

..if the USA economy was deemed to be secure by investors.. The UK would become the most insecure economy and least attractive to invest in!

Surf Kayaker
19-09--2008, 08:32 PM
It would be maddness, fighting, looting and Corned beef on the black market.

I just don't understand why they just don't print some more money of the press!

I think printing more money might just devalue the pound a bit and the price of imported goods like corned beef would rocket!!

Since this thread is a feel free to fantasise has anyone read William Morris' 'News from Nowhere' where a 19th century radical wakes up in a future world that is a money free society where parliment has been abolished and nobody owns property. People organise themselves in communities and make decisions by consensus. Jobs get done out of need and people take pride in their work and produce items of beauty. Ahhh....dream, dream. Oh yes and that is the William Morris who produced all the chintzy wallpaper.

Back to reality...if the money markets collapse and personally I believe it's when not if, businesses will go bust, unemployment will rocket, homes will be repossesed, there will be poverty and destitution, which will bring about a huge increase in crime, and consequent increase in state powers and authoritarian governments. The people that suffer the most will be the poor not the rich they'll be sure to look after themselves.