PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Another fudge recipe

velvetcollie
10-07--2007, 01:39 PM
YOU WILL NEED:-

1 lb sugar
1/4 pt milk (preferably blue top)
1 golf ball size knob of butter
Flavouring of choice (anything from vanilla essence to melted chocolate)

METHOD:-

1. Grease a baking tray before you start cooking because there wont be time later, (if you're going to melt chocolate you might want to do that before you start cooking too)

2. Put the sugar, milk and butter in a large saucepan and place on the hob on the highest setting you have.

3. Stir while the sugar and butter dissolve... the mixture will expand to maybe 4 times it's original volume while being heated, but will then shrink back before reaching the "soft ball" stage. so use the largest saucepan you can find!

“Soft ball means when you drop a little of the mixture into ice water it will form a soft ball that will lose its shape when exposed to the air, or if a cooking thermometer is used (234 - 240 degrees F) (112 - 116 degrees C)” says joyofbaking.com.
In my experience the soft ball stage is just before the mixture starts to burn and caramelize on the bottom of the pan. If this happens stop immediately and it should still be ok.

4. Remove from the heat and add your flavouring, (if you're adding anything solid like nuts or raisins I wouldn't add them just yet because the heat of the fudge can cook them, and some things, like hazelnuts, will disintegrate).

5. Using a large (wooden) spoon beat the fudge hard. Really hard. If your upper arm isn't aching you're not beating hard enough.
When the fudge becomes "grainy" and starts setting in the pan it's ready to pour out into your baking tray. You can then use your fingers or knuckles to ease the setting fudge into the corners of the tray (careful, it's still fairly hot - have some cold water ready for your hand).
6. Leave to set for 10-15 minutes and then cut into squares (or whatever), then leave to set completely before carefully removing the pieces from the tray. You can put it in the fridge to speed things up, but the tray will be pretty warm so you may want to put it on a tea towel or something.

As for adding nuts and stuff, I would say it’s better not to put them in the pan at all, but to try putting them in the tray and pouring the setting fudge onto them, (but, as you’ll never make the same fudge twice, I fully encourage a trial and error policy).

Enjoy!