PDA

View Full Version : What do you have for breakfast?

Pages : [1] 2

Atomik
03-03--2006, 01:44 PM
I've never been a great breakfast eater and got by on a couple of slices of toast for years. I experimented briefly with museli, but I find it too heavy for that time of day. Since me 'n' the wench have gone on our health drive, I've finally discovered a nutritious breakfast that I actually enjoy! I have a rice cake, spread with a thin layer of cashew butter and almond butter. I then lash on a thick layer of dark tahini. I sprinkle some sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds on top of that, and then finish the whole thing off with a bunch of alfalfa (or other) sprouts. Bloody yummy! I'm addicted to 'em now! After I've munched through that, I wash the whole thing down with a mixed fruit smoothy.

So what about the rest of you? What do you eat for your breakfast?

Sunny
03-03--2006, 01:55 PM
Oooo oooo, that sounds like a great breakfast Stu! I really like breakfasts. They're my favourite meal of the day really, which goes with mornings being my favourite time of the day I spose.
My breakfasts vary a lot.... At the moment though I have fruit and seed muesli (i'm allergic to some nuts) with added raisins, dried fruit, or tinned fruit, and chopped banana or orange. If i haven't had a banana in the muesli I have a hot one instead. And I have all that with rice dream, which personally I like best out of the milk alternatives i've tried. Delicious :D. I drink herbal tea or juice, or both
Then if i've got time i'll go on to eat a piece of sunflower and linseed toast if we've got that in, with Tahini on it, and added seeds... Oooh or I sometimes have goats cheese and chutney. Or just chutney, which is more acceptible to my milk free attempts.
Then if there's an apple i'm not allergic too i'll have that.
Oooh and if there's any dark chocolate around or equally cheeky things, I tend to demolish them.

Wow, I wrote a lot about breakfast :eek:
Sunny
xxx

stardust
03-03--2006, 02:03 PM
i had rice crispies today. i only ever have toast or cereal. i'm very boring when it comes to breakfast, but as i'm not a morning person, it's a miracle that i function well enough to make those!

scarlett
03-03--2006, 02:36 PM
orange juice, a banana and a yoghurt.. and two peanut cookies left over from last night:o

Exedous
03-03--2006, 02:40 PM
I have one cup of coffee....sometimes a couple slices of bread and hummous...but usually a coffee.

:patch:

stormypagan
03-03--2006, 02:52 PM
Oooo you healthy bugger you!! Dok I mean :D

We sprout our own alfalfa, and I love it to, as it has so many good things in it.

I usually have toast with Cinnamon on it (yum yum!!), a cup of tea or redbush, or cereal for breaky :)

Northern Princess
03-03--2006, 03:09 PM
I usually have porridge and honey, only recently discovered the joys of this :D .

But today we had to try a new cereal that I was sent as a product trial for research, A bit too sweet for me, so back to porridge tomorrow.

Beans on toast is a weekend treat

stormypagan
03-03--2006, 03:50 PM
Beans on toast is a weekend treat

ahhh you reminded me NP, I always used to have bb on toast at weekends too with brown sauce....this is the only time I like brown sauce :D

wiggy
03-03--2006, 03:51 PM
Toast and tea with a pint of orange squash - I dont like cereal as its to cold!!!!!

PeacePiper
03-03--2006, 03:54 PM
I ate yogurt for breakfast for a while, when I got bored of cereal. At the moment I've settled on Honey Nut Cornflakes, but I'm bored of that already ;) I'm gonna start cooking omelettes now instead, maybe with a good fruity smoothy to :)

Aunty Al
03-03--2006, 05:09 PM
Usually just toast and coffee. Its funny, I really can't do without my cup of coffee even though I only drink decaf, and I'm really cranky until I get it. What else is in it I'm wondering! At the weekend though, I love a faky bacon sarnie with loads of brown sauce and fried mushrooms. Mmmm

Atomik
03-03--2006, 05:20 PM
Its funny, I really can't do without my cup of coffee even though I only drink decaf, and I'm really cranky until I get it.I'm the same. Except I don't drink decaf. Hardcore filter coffee for me.

At the weekend though, I love a faky bacon sarnie with loads of brown sauce and fried mushrooms. MmmmOh yeah! I should start a new thread just about weekend breakfasts! I love a facon buttie on shitty white bread with lashings of butter. Or (vegan police avert your eyes now) a fried egg on toast. Or a full cooked veggie breakfast. Earth Whirler cooks a mean fry-up and does the best fried eggs on the planet! What's life without living on the edge once in a while, eh? :D

Starling
03-03--2006, 05:28 PM
I combine my breakfast with dinner, as i usually have it around dinner time. I'll have sandwiches most of the time, like houmous and salad, avacado and tomato, or toasted pb and banana. Sometimes i'll have cereal, or toast, or porridge with BSMs.

PeacePiper
03-03--2006, 06:10 PM
Fake bacon?! :vomit: That stuff is bad! Unless you've found some stuff that's shockingly improved since I tried it last. Where du get yours from?

stardust
03-03--2006, 06:18 PM
asda's own brand veggie stuff rocks! tis always much cheaper than main name brands, tastes loads better, and in a lot of cases, they dont put eggs into stuff, unlike main name brands - which is great now i'm vegan.

once my dad cooked me some asdas sausages and i accused him of feeding me real meat coz i wouldn't believe they weren't fake. even made him go get the packaging out the bin to prove it!

peace and love
stardust
xxx

Atomik
03-03--2006, 06:40 PM
Fake bacon?! :vomit: That stuff is bad! Unless you've found some stuff that's shockingly improved since I tried it last. Where du get yours from?Depends whether you expect it to be anything like bacon, and whether you expect it to contain anything like nutrition. The best brand was Morningstar, but they're no longer available. Next best is Tesco own-brand.

Aunty Al
03-03--2006, 07:01 PM
Didn't know Morningstar had disappeared altogether, thought that it was just that Tesco was to busy promoting its own. I like the realeat stuff though. Talking of full cooked veggie breakfasts, the Morrisson's cafe near us does a mean one for a real treat! The best used to be a pub in Liverpool (Black horse & Rainbow or Liverpool brew pub for those in the know) but they went upmarket and the food went down to tiny portions, huge prices and no breakfasts any more.

Atomik
03-03--2006, 08:04 PM
Didn't know Morningstar had disappeared altogether, thought that it was just that Tesco was to busy promoting its own.Nah. Basically, the company that distributes them went GM-free, and Morningstar couldn't guarantee their product as GM-free, so no more UK distribution.

The best used to be a pub in Liverpool (Black horse & Rainbow or Liverpool brew pub for those in the know)I remember it well. Spent many nights getting drunk there back in the day. Nice, big brewing vats in the window and an ace kebab shop over the road that used to do the greatest bhaji kebabs with a chili yoghurt dressing for 1.50. And the kebab shop stayed open until the pub kicked out at 2.30am. And 2.30am was well late, back in the days of steam. Know worra meeeeeeen? :D

stormypagan
03-03--2006, 09:16 PM
Earth Whirler cooks a mean fry-up and does the best fried eggs on the planet! What's life without living on the edge once in a while, eh? :D

Ahhh they say the key to a mans heart is through his stomach :harhar: :D

Don't worry we have the odd fry up to :D me and Lewis have the vegan version with tofu instead of egg, while Luke and Stonsey have eggs but we all have fried bread, veggie sausages, hash browns, baked beans, mushrooms and fried tomatoes.... oooo I am making myself hungry now <tummy rumbles as she hasn't had dinner yet> Yup don't hurt to have the odd fry up, and if it is veggie, done in sunflower or olive oil ..even better!!

random_spontaneosity
03-03--2006, 09:43 PM
mm, love brekkie....

usually 2slices of toast, sometimes a piece of fruit too depending on how times going along.... this is when ive got lectures.... except when i only have an hour of lecture then going home anyway so i have breakfast afterwards and get up later... bad, but hey...

otherwise it might be some cereal of some description, some sort of fry up, some sort of fry up on toast, a huge bowl of fruit salad stuff...
depends on how i feel....

and i never seem to really drink anything at breakfast either... unless ive been on the alcohol the night before... :whistle:

.... or i sleep straight through til lunch time and have a sandwich or something instead :D

Whirler
04-03--2006, 10:24 AM
As much as I really like the facon stuff, it's bloody full of hydrogenated fat! So it really is a rare treat.......The other thing Dok failed to mention was the healthy cooked breakie that he sometimes cooks - cheese & black pepper crumpets with scrambled egg, raw baby tomatoes, fried mushrooms & red onion, sprinkled with parsley. It's bloody crazy that in Glastonbury, no cafe makes veggie breakfasts like we do! One cafe tried to serve a vegan breakfast with quorn sausages. Twats. :rolleyes:

The Original Laney
04-03--2006, 10:54 AM
Today I started off with a cleansy herbal tea.. followed by 3 rice cakes with pure honey and now I've just blasted some strawberries/blueberries/banananana and bio yoghurt in the blender!!:D

QUite impressed with myself.. beats the normal cheese and marmite on toast effort!!:rolleyes:

Atomik
04-03--2006, 11:08 AM
:clap:

Aunty Al
04-03--2006, 01:55 PM
OK, I confess to having the full veggie fry up this morning but I blame Dok!

Flibbertigibbet
04-03--2006, 03:46 PM
I fail miserably when it comes to breakfast....I make two slices of toast then usually have soya spread a yeast extract and eat it at least 2 hours after I had made it......lovely rubberry toast :D

sensamelia
04-03--2006, 04:26 PM
i get up at 6am every day get to work on fruit smoothies for 7 then i put whole meal taoast on and muesli wake kids at 7am put kettle on for varios coffee tea and hot choc
then get hubby up at 7.30 am
make packed lunches
get everyone through the door for 8.30am
then sit down to my fruit smoothy
piorridge with honey
and fruit
yummy

Lynvallen
04-03--2006, 05:11 PM
I rarely have breeakfast, at least at breakfast time - usually i eat around 11 instead.

But one thing i've discovered recently im really enjoying, and i totally made it up myself (tho something similar has probably been done before :) ), and that is:
wheatabix in milk - wait for it to go slightly soggy - then scatter mixed seeds ontop - i have a mix of sesame, poppy, sunflower, pumkin and hemp - and then sprinkle cinnamon or mixed spiced over.
yummy! :thumbup:

Starling
04-03--2006, 06:38 PM
wheatabix in milk - wait for it to go slightly soggy - then scatter mixed seeds ontop - i have a mix of sesame, poppy, sunflower, pumkin and hemp - and then sprinkle cinnamon or mixed spiced over.

At the moment i love soggy weetabix! But i stick mine in the microwave with the milk, until it's hot and soggy, then i put a little cold milk on it, and some sugar. It's yum.. like a different tasting porridge.

Exedous
04-03--2006, 06:48 PM
I rarely have breeakfast, at least at breakfast time - usually i eat around 11 instead.

But one thing i've discovered recently im really enjoying, and i totally made it up myself (tho something similar has probably been done before :) ), and that is:
Its called porrige dear

Exedous
04-03--2006, 06:49 PM
Its called porrige dear

Still having coffee, when i wake...though im looking at you all and thinking..Hmmmm...fruit smoothies.....sounds good.

PeacePiper
05-03--2006, 12:35 AM
I wonder what'd happen if I made porridge with a smoothie instead of milk :insane:

:zipped:

The Original Laney
05-03--2006, 12:37 AM
I wonder what'd happen if I made porridge with a smoothie instead of milk :insane:

:zipped:

*vomits*

:harhar:

Exedous
05-03--2006, 02:04 AM
I think it could be quite nice...sort of oaty..smoothie...mmmmm, make sure you use lots of raspberries.....

Yummy

Exedous
05-03--2006, 01:45 PM
This morning im having Cous Cous, with last nights fruity korma creation.....yummy.....

Whirler
05-03--2006, 06:21 PM
I have seen smoothie recipes with oats in.......probably soaked overnight - it'll certainly keep you full for a few hours! :vomit:

Rae
05-03--2006, 06:52 PM
I like to have two brekkies, I had beans on toast today with two fried eggs, then for second brekki I had yoghurt and bannanaaaaa, with some grapes, yummy. Oh and I have one cup of tea most days.

The Original Laney
05-03--2006, 07:04 PM
I had the rice cakes with honey again.. with a ton of sunflower seeds on them!!

I feel so much better kicking bread out of my diet.. I feel sick and my stomach bloats to the size of a football when I eat it

Milo
05-03--2006, 10:44 PM
Today a full vegan breakfast at The Whale Tail (http://www.10000things.org.uk/whale_tail_cafe.htm), mushrooms, baked beans, fake sausages, sliced fried tofu, real toms grilled, grilled # browns, 3 slices of toast.

At home, if I'm up in time, just a modest version of the above, unless I'm having a porridge day, made with soya milk and with sultanas in too.

Flibbertigibbet
05-03--2006, 11:32 PM
I love the directions ot get there........"by the kentucky fired chicken yuk" :p

Exedous
05-03--2006, 11:50 PM
Milo mushrooms, baked beans, fake sausages, sliced fried tofu, real toms grilled, grilled # browns, 3 slices of toast.

There is nowhere in Perth that does a veggie breakfast...but i can make a mean veg*n brekkie.....similar to above...Oh and lots of hot choc, or coffee....

PeacePiper
06-03--2006, 05:41 PM
There is nowhere in Perth that does a veggie breakfast...but i can make a mean veg*n brekkie.....similar to above...Oh and lots of hot choc, or coffee....

Do you not have a Tescos?! Lucky you!

Whirler
06-03--2006, 07:30 PM
That's twice I've seen hot chocolate mentioned for breakfast. Hot chocolate for breakfast?!!?? :eek:

Exedous
06-03--2006, 08:22 PM
Do you not have a Tescos?! Lucky you!
Tesco's???...veggie breakfast???...id rather make me own...

Exedous
06-03--2006, 08:25 PM
That's twice I've seen hot chocolate mentioned for breakfast. Hot chocolate for breakfast?!!?? :eek:
Oh yea...its lush...that {Green & Blacks *vegan*}, chocolate hit, first thing.....yummy

kaivalya
06-03--2006, 09:26 PM
Half a Mango and some fresh yoghurt! Yummy

Milo
07-03--2006, 05:38 PM
Oh yea...its lush...that {Green & Blacks *vegan*}, chocolate hit, first thing.....yummy

On the groundfloor beneath our Whale Tail is Single Step Wholefoods (a workers' co-operative established 30 years ago!), from which all the Green & Blacks products have recently been removed, except for the Maya Gold (http://www.greenandblacks.com/story.php) which was / is G & B's only Fair Trade product.

The reasoning is that

1. there are plenty of Fair Trade chocolate-type alternatives available and

2. G & B have been taken over by Cadbury's (not a totally awful firm like Nestle (http://www.babymilkaction.org/), but they are), a big phat multinational and it is felt that Cadbury's intention in taking over G & B's was to buy for themselves a degree of respectability and thereby to hoodwink uzz, the greenward consumers.

Milo
07-03--2006, 05:45 PM
I always eat cereals mixed with other cereals, I guess it's just one of those odd things that families hand down.

This is probably my favourite breakfast cereal:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/799512b.jpg

Ever tried it?

You must!

Really!

The packet / box is annoyingly difficult to open and close, and has been so for decades.

Aunty Al
07-03--2006, 06:30 PM
I always eat cereals mixed with other cereals, I guess it's just one of those odd things that families hand down.

This is probably my favourite breakfast cereal:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/799512b.jpg

Ever tried it?

You must!

Really!

The packet / box is annoyingly difficult to open and close, and has been so for decades.
Picture's not working. Could the pack be so difficult cos its invisible (Gasp!:eek:)

Milo
07-03--2006, 06:39 PM
http://www.10000things.org.uk/frugrains.jpg

Better?

The Original Laney
07-03--2006, 06:49 PM
I'm having millet and oat cereal thingies.. I'll find a pic in a bit

spacehopper
08-03--2006, 11:33 AM
...I've finally discovered a nutritious breakfast that I actually enjoy! I have a rice cake, spread with a thin layer of cashew butter and almond butter. I then lash on a thick layer of dark tahini. I sprinkle some sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds on top of that, and then finish the whole thing off with a bunch of alfalfa (or other) sprouts. Bloody yummy!
That does sound yummy, but it's something I'd be more likely to eat for lunch. I don't eat much for breakfast, usually just a piece of toast with marmalade or fruit spread - Sunwheel pear and apricot is my favourite - or a small bowl of cereal - Jordan's maple and pecan crunch this morning. I seem to need something sweet for breakfast, I never eat anything savoury and I couldn't face a cooked breakfast at all.

The Original Laney
08-03--2006, 12:24 PM
I bought some Tahini.. Whats the diference between light and dark? I bought the light one!!

Exedous
08-03--2006, 12:32 PM
I heard about this diet...you eat only fruit up until lunch time...after lunch you can eat what you want, but you cant eat protien and starch together....

You are'nt allowed to eat anything after half 9 at night.

Its not so much of a diet, more working with your bodies natural rhythms.

I posted here because, everyone seems to enjoy fruit smoothies in the morning. Fruit is supposed give you lots of energy, as long as it isint mixed with Tea/Coffee, wheat..ect..

The Original Laney
08-03--2006, 12:35 PM
I tried the fruit till midday.. Even though I eat alot of it.. I still feel like my stomach is caving in with hunger :insane:

Minwah
08-03--2006, 12:44 PM
I usually have nothing, but sometimes have some marmite on toast at work at about 10 or 11 o'clock.

I don't like eating after I've just got up...

Exedous
08-03--2006, 01:03 PM
I tried the fruit till midday.. Even though I eat alot of it.. I still feel like my stomach is caving in with hunger :insane:
That will be your wheat addiction...

I want to try it out...but i crave wheat...or similar.....

spacehopper
08-03--2006, 01:04 PM
I bought some Tahini.. Whats the diference between light and dark? I bought the light one!!
I think the dark is made from roasted sesame seeds and the light from unroasted. Could be wrong though. I love tahini mixed with date syrup on toast.

mudpuddle
08-03--2006, 01:18 PM
I Have Pancakes...Most Days...Yum Yum...

As Long as I Get up With Enough Time to Make Them...

I'd Rather be Late for College yet Have had Breakfast then Not be Late but missed Breakfast...

My Tum sure Does Growl Loudly when Empty...

The Original Laney
08-03--2006, 01:27 PM
That will be your wheat addiction...

I want to try it out...but i crave wheat...or similar.....

I think I might go for it.. might sort out the old wheat craving in a week or so!!

MIght get cranky though:reddevil:

NOw what are the most filling fruits :hippy:

Exedous
08-03--2006, 01:54 PM
I would be WELL cranky...which is quite scary....see, i like that silken Tofu, in a smoothie...{yes it does work, with some vegan yoghurt...}

But i would have to knock that on the head....

Hmmm, a difficult one to keep to, though it would be healthy.