PDA

View Full Version : Are we really a nation of animal lovers?

wiggy
03-03--2006, 03:35 PM
I love animals, but ALOT of people treat them like crap, they abuse them all the time, we are ment to be a nation of animal lovers but are we? Are we? Today a dog was drowned in a lake, she was pregnant and some sick fucker tied a weight around her neck and drowned her WTF

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4770928.stm

Joel
03-03--2006, 03:36 PM
bit harsh...:eek:

poor doggie,

wiggy
03-03--2006, 03:38 PM

poor doggie,

yeah just a bit, the person who did it should be drowned themself and see how they like it grrrrrr :(

Starling
03-03--2006, 04:04 PM
How someone could do that is beyond me :( The sad thing is, they never seem to find the people responsible, and even if they did, they'd probably only get fined. :mad: This reminds me of a site i was looking at a few weeks back, about how many slaughter animals are pregnant, and their babies are just ripped out and disposed of. Think of the response this would get if it was a pregnant woman.

stormypagan
03-03--2006, 04:40 PM

poor doggie,

Understatement of the year!!

It is completely outrageous in my opinion and that person needs to be prosecuted big time!!

Sunny
03-03--2006, 04:54 PM
I love animals, but ALOT of people treat them like crap, they abuse them all the time, we are ment to be a nation of animal lovers but are we?

If you look at the whole bit picture, we really are amongst the most compassionate to animals. There is a lot of animal abuse in england, but there is a lot of care towards animals too. We will take pity on one legged pigeons (if you look, they're always the fattest in the group too) and deformed dogs, where in many countries that is not the collective opinion at all. We have so many rules and regulations regarding the welfare of animals (yes, they're often ignored, but they are followed too, and the fact that they are there show that people do care). We generally keep animals in better conditions than in a lot of other countries.
I think what shocks people is different too. If people were making a sport of throwing daggers at the bulls down the road, the police would take action immediately. But bull fighting is a popular sport that people love in spain. Hmm, it is true that that is a tradition like fox hunting though. But even some foxhunters would cringe at that video of the racoon being skinned alive in China. They don't want to even know something like that exists. In that part of china, it is a way of life people don't even put a second thought to at all. They just do it.
In one of my neighbouring villages, some school kids were luring seagulls to their death by throwing food on the road and getting them to fly in front of cars. When one bird did get hit, the whole thing made the newspapers. There are a lot of countries were that certainly wouldn't make the front page!

Hmm... i'm in a really rambling ranting mood... sorry... I just think that we care for and look after animals fairly well sometimes, on the whole. The conditions of zoos in some other countries is appauling. But that's another thread :eek:.

But I do think that animal abuse seems to have increased in the last few years, which is terrible. I was reading about it being the 'RSPCAs worst christmas' in 2005.. Eeep.

Sorry I rambled so much :rolleyes:
Sunny
xxx

spacehopper
03-03--2006, 05:07 PM
We're better than a lot of other countries in our treatment of animals, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. While the vast majority of people deplore the sort of cruelty done to that poor dog, most still don't want to know about the suffering that goes on behind closed doors in factory farms and laboratories on a massive scale.

Sunny
03-03--2006, 05:41 PM
We're better than a lot of other countries in our treatment of animals, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. While the vast majority of people deplore the sort of cruelty done to that poor dog, most still don't want to know about the suffering that goes on behind closed doors in factory farms and laboratories on a massive scale.

Very true. I hope that there will be improvement too. There are so many people dedicated to trying to make these changes, but as you said there are such a lot of people who don't want to know about the suffering behind the closed doors.
I think in a way it is made too separate from our lives. People can happily go about their lives without so much as a glimpse of where their food comes from. It is made sure of that everything is packaged and processed and made to look nothing like the animals they came from. I think that is one of the dangerous things that stops people making changes...

xxx

sensamelia
04-03--2006, 03:37 PM
thats awful wiggy
my next door neighbour about 15 yrs ago decided to leave her husband after years of abuse and flee to a refugee
she had two cats two rabbits a yorkshire terrier and a great dane
she couldent take them but had no reason to assume he would neglect them cause he had shown more love to them than her and the kids
she eventually moved out of the refugee and in to her own council place about two years ltr
then her sister had a call from an old neighbour saying they were worried something had happened at the house
she still had a key so they both went to investigate
they couldent open the front door as there was something behind it
so they went round the back
they found both rabbits in thier cages starved to death
on getting in the house they found the yorkshire terrier dead and starved in the kitchen but worse to come was the great dane behind the front door starved to death
the cats must of been freed and run off
when the police and vets did a post mortem on the big dog they found plaster from the walls in its stomach
they were amazed that the dane hadent eaten the terrier
they eventually caught her ex who got two years suspended and a huge fine with a 10 yr ban on keeping animals
this to me is diabolical he should of been put away for such a disgusting offence:(

Rae
04-03--2006, 08:42 PM
If then poor animals had been children I dont think he would have just got two years. Who the hell decides that just because something doesnt speak the same language as us and is fury its soul doesnt count as much as ours? A life is a life no matter how you look at it and there should be harsher punishments for abuse or neglect of any living thing, animal or human (sorry I dont feel as strongly about people that forget to water the plants).

stormypagan
05-03--2006, 07:46 PM
I used to work with this woman many years ago now, and we used to get on fairly well. Then one day I found out she had been prosecuted for starving to death her two dogs... apparently she had said she couldn't afford to feed them, but then she was a heavy smoker, and liked a drink or two, so she could afford to enjoy herself... so to me her not being able to afford to feed them was a crap excuse, as she put her fags and beer before the welfare of her animals. So you can imagine, after that I found it very hard to talk to her, and even look her in the eye, as I was so pissed off with her. Fortunately, not long after that I left anyway!!

wiggy
05-03--2006, 08:03 PM
Even if people say they cant afford the care for their animals then they should take them to a vets and 'dumb' them, find a new home for them, anything - starving them isnt the right way to go - I seriously dont know how anyone can see that she must have heard then crying or seen them. Makes me bloody sick

Exedous
05-03--2006, 08:10 PM
We generally keep animals in better conditions than in a lot of other countries.

And a lot of humans if the truth be told.....
I agree with you sunny, these {dog drowning/harming} stories anger me, its just another story to fill space in tomorows papers.....

Sorry.

:patch:

Exedous
05-03--2006, 08:17 PM
they eventually caught her ex who got two years suspended and a huge fine with a 10 yr ban on keeping animals
this to me is diabolical he should of been put away for such a disgusting offence:(

See...2 years suspended, 10 year ban!! Thats what i mean...The law is an arse.....

:patch:

Milo
05-03--2006, 09:00 PM
how many slaughter animals are pregnant, and their babies are just ripped out and disposed of.
We're a nation of hypocrites.