PDA

View Full Version : Could you film wildlife?

wiggy
05-03--2006, 10:39 PM
Im watching something on BBC1 about wildlife and they have just shown a baby elephant who has lost his mum and is trying to find her by following the racks - but going the wrong way.

Would you be happy to set up a video cam and wait and watch lions kill, watch some animals crossing water but not making it.

I couldnt do that - I would try and do something to help, i know they wouldnt like my help and it would proberly kill them through stress but I couldnt watch it - its bad enough when a nature show is on, i turn away. Well kind of cover my eyes but peek through my fingers!!!!!!

PeacePiper
06-03--2006, 05:39 PM
:eek: I don't think I could watch a lost baby elephant without helping. But I reckon I could cope with almost everything else, unfortunately it'd probably be because I'd numb to it :( I couldn't numb to a baby elephant though!

Sunny
06-03--2006, 06:58 PM
Hmm, I think I could deal with that aspect of it... I really like the way nature works. It is sometimes so cruel and hardly understandable why a certain animal has to die, but it is all part of the big cycle of things really.
I saw the same programme Wiggy, it was great wasn't it! It was sad when the calf wandered off the wrong way. If I was filming it, I would feel even more sad because i'd actually be there, but ultimately I wouln't do anything. I dunno, I guess i've always had it drummed into me to let nature take it's course. :rolleyes:

Exedous
06-03--2006, 11:09 PM
Heard a story, about a couple who went to Kenya, to take photos of Big Game. They had BOTH been warned about leaving the vechile, while on safari. Later, while out on said safari...they saw a pride, cosisting of a lioness with several cubs. A kodak moment, the woman was about to take a photo..when one of the cubs left the pride...the irate woman, jumped out..{she HAD been warned} grabbed the cub, and tried to place it back...she was brutulay mauled....

Moral of the story...dinnae touch other folks bairns, if ye dinna want a hidin.....

:patch:

Sunny
06-03--2006, 11:14 PM
Heard a story, about a couple who went to Kenya, to take photos of Big Game. They had BOTH been warned about leaving the vechile, while on safari. Later, while out on said safari...they saw a pride, cosisting of a lioness with several cubs. A kodak moment, the woman was about to take a photo..when one of the cubs left the pride...the irate woman, jumped out..{she HAD been warned} grabbed the cub, and tried to place it back...she was brutulay mauled....

Moral of the story...dinnae touch other folks bairns, if ye dinna want a hidin.....

Stoooopid laydeeee :eek: :eek:

Deary me!

Sunny
xxx

wiggy
07-03--2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah I agree the lady is a bit silly for doing that, with lions though if the male is jelous of the cubs he WILL kill them, which is horrible and i think if i saw that i would proberly want to help but i know i shouldnt. The programme was excellent though.

I think watching animals on TV is all well but filming them must be so hard - i seriously dont think i could do it

Minwah
08-03--2006, 12:52 PM
You would have to remember you are there to observe and not interfere.

Although I must admit some cruel acts of nature would be hard for me to watch without feeling emotional.

Must be an awesome job to have tho :)

Rae
08-03--2006, 08:59 PM
I reckon that the baby elephant was dinner for a lioness (or whatever) so that she could continue to make milk for her own babies. And that for that reason it was a good thing, as long as it doesn't go to waste. I could watch/film it and not get upset about it.

Sunny
08-03--2006, 09:05 PM
I reckon that the baby elephant was dinner for a lioness (or whatever) so that she could continue to make milk for her own babies. And that for that reason it was a good thing, as long as it doesn't go to waste. I could watch/film it and not get upset about it.

I agree :) . There's just always a use and a reason for everything in nature. Even though sometimes it's hard to think what the reason is - i've spent many a time cursing wasps and wondering why the hell they're allowed on this planet :rolleyes:. But then you realise they are a really important predator in the insect world, some frogs with very bad food taste (in my opinion) eat them, and probably lots of other uses...
Nature just works in strange ways doesn't it?

xxx

Rae
08-03--2006, 09:11 PM
Nature just works in strange ways doesn't it?

Yep, big time. I dont think you could get rid of one animal on this planet and it not have an impact, usually a bad one. For example a world without ants, yes picnics might be easyer, but they do loads of crappy little things, like give birds something to eat (unwilling) and where would we be without the birdies? Bugs are good, I think.

Exedous
08-03--2006, 09:42 PM
Yep, big time. I dont think you could get rid of one animal on this planet and it not have an impact, usually a bad one. For example a world without ants, yes picnics might be easyer, but they do loads of crappy little things, like give birds something to eat (unwilling) and where would we be without the birdies? Bugs are good, I think.
All creatures great and small, are most valued by all creatures great and small............

wiggy
09-03--2006, 11:20 AM
as long as it doesn't go to waste. .

Thats a big difference between us and wild-life huh

spacehopper
09-03--2006, 12:01 PM
I used to watch a programme called Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet and on one of the episodes some newborn meerkats were left in one of the burrows when the group moved and they died. One also died in the blazing heat when he was dropped and mislaid in a burrow move. I'd have to interfere to save animals in situations like these, there's no way I could leave them to die, so I'd be a lousy wildlife film maker. I close my eyes when there is a scene of animals being hunted and killed. Although that's just part of nature, I don't like to watch it and I certainly couldn't film it.

wiggy
09-03--2006, 12:13 PM
I used to watch that - that was excellent I saw the one when they moved i didnt watch it after though - i think the mum wanted to stay but couldnt leave the family. But the babies where the leaders and the mum wasnt ment to shag him but did and she got beat up by his girlfriend - i remember that - was sad

Sunny
09-03--2006, 11:16 PM
I used to watch that - that was excellent I saw the one when they moved i didnt watch it after though - i think the mum wanted to stay but couldnt leave the family. But the babies where the leaders and the mum wasnt ment to shag him but did and she got beat up by his girlfriend - i remember that - was sad

Aww meerkats are brilliant little animals!

Your post made me think about a lot of the animal programmes that really humanise animals. Sometimes they seem to do it to a point that is really quite tacky.. In my opinion anyway. I think i'd try to make sure there was the reality angle thrown in if I was filming wildlife, i kind of think it's important for people to realise animals aren't just another soap opera. But then i suppose that is a way to get more people interested in animals in the first place... Jazzing them up with some added human characteristics and dubbed personalities. :eek: I don't think animals need jazzing up at all. I like good old fashioned straight to the point documentaries really I think.

xxx

Whirler
11-03--2006, 10:00 AM
Nope, couldn't do it. I'm waaaaay too much of a softie - I'd get really distressed and probably cry and then I wouldn't be able to see through my camera! However - I would phone the local elephant sanctuary.......:D