PDA

View Full Version : Circus ban call for live animals

Exedous
12-03--2006, 02:49 AM
Circus Ban (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4796754.stm)

A bid is being launched to stop wild animals from performing in circuses.

Green MSP Mark Ruskell said the tradition of creatures such as lions and elephants being used in travelling circuses was a "medieval practice".
He has proposed an amendment to the Animal Health and Welfare Bill which is going through the Scottish Parliament and is hopeful that MSPs will back it.

The news comes after Animal Welfare Minister Ben Bradshaw announced plans for such a move south of the border.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif Over 80% of people want to see wild animals banned from circuses and this bill is the right opportunity to deliver that http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Mark Ruskell MSP

The amendment is expected to be debated by MSPs on the environment and rural development committee in the next few weeks.

Mr Ruskell, the Greens' environment spokesman and the committee's deputy convener, said it was time for Scotland to follow England's lead.

The MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife said: "It is impossible to give wild animals that evolved on the plains of Africa acceptable welfare conditions under cramped circus conditions.

"The training and performing of wild animals in circuses is a medieval practice that is thankfully going to be banned in England and Wales." An opinion poll carried out last year showed that 80% of the public was against wild animals being used in circus shows.

Exedous
12-03--2006, 02:51 AM
Fingers crossed it gets put through, and becomes law!!

:patch:

dreadyfairy
12-03--2006, 03:31 PM
About time too,its disgusting the way animals get treated as if we have any right over them!!!!!!

fairy fluff x

Exedous
12-03--2006, 03:48 PM
About time too,its disgusting the way animals get treated as if we have any right over them!!!!!!

fairy fluff x
I agree...

Whirler
13-03--2006, 06:25 PM
So can domestic animals still be used?

Sunny
13-03--2006, 06:57 PM
So can domestic animals still be used?

The article also goes to say:

'Mr Ruskell added: "There is a case for domestic animals to continue to play a role in circuses with suitable regulation, but over 80% of people want to see wild animals banned and this bill is the right opportunity to deliver that." '

Personally I think that as long as strict regulations are followed, training dogs and horses in particular, in circuses, is not too bad. Dogs especially have been so domesticated that really such a training regime is good (and often very fun) for them. Horses too, are often comfortable enough to enjoy human contact. To achieve some of the tricks that are expected of them they also need to have a good bond with their owner, therefore it seems quite an enjoyable thing for them to do. The circus usually just take what the horses would naturally be able to do, and exaggerate it. I don't think this is bad.
For them to perform well, they have to be treated fairly well anyway. It has been proven that training by positive reinforcement is much more effective, so it seems the more sensible way for them to look after them anyway.

As for the wild animal ban - it's about time too! Personally I love people and acrobatic circuses best anyway :D

It seems that most people feel that way about circuses, so I don't think there should be too many problems in the ban going through... May be i'm wrong though...

Love,
Sunny
xxx

rohan wood
13-03--2006, 06:59 PM
so it going to only be a uk law??
cos the world needs to learn

Sunny
13-03--2006, 07:08 PM
so it going to only be a uk law??
cos the world needs to learn

So far, yeah I think that is a ban going through in England and Scotland... But there are bans in other countries too. Slowly the world is learning about it.

Sunny
xxx

Exedous
13-03--2006, 08:05 PM
I dont agree with animals being used, whether its wild or domsticated..its still wrong...

Sunny
13-03--2006, 09:44 PM
I dont agree with animals being used, whether its wild or domsticated..its still wrong...

In one way I agree with you on that, but in another I don't. In my ideal world there wouldn't be exploitation of animals, especially for entertainment. They shouldn't be kept simply to fulfil the selfish desire to be entertained by watching animals doing tricks in humanised situations. In fact, they shouldn't be kept at all, they should be allowed to live their lives in the wild and co exist with nature without our intervention.
However, it would be silly not to realise that there are now animals who have been so stripped of their old instincts and means to survive in the wild, that they are dependant upon humans to look after them. Many breeds of horses for example, would really suffer if they didn't have a warm stable in the winter, and some concentrated horse feed to come back from the field to. They also need the exercise and stimulation that they'd have in the wild. But it has to be substituted by human means. I think being trained in the circus is actually a good environment for horses to exhibit their natural behaviours, when they'd otherwise be deprived of them. Personally, I think circus horses probably much more enriched lives than the poor old riding school horses you see around :(.
It isn't ideal, but as it is i think it is a second best for the domesticated horses who need some way to use their natural instincts, but would normally have those instincts crushed and ground at by the nasty domestication system. When the circus train horses, they actually encourage their wild side. I think that is good.

Sorry....
Sunny
xxx

PeacePiper
14-03--2006, 04:50 PM
:thumbup: I like your view on animals Sunny :)