PDA

View Full Version : ..."Kill the bloddy fox"

Exedous
14-03--2006, 10:39 PM
Just watched this for the first time tonight..its on "FIVE"

So he goes out, buys lots of different fowl/peacocks/ducks...provides, less than adiquite protection, for them..

A fox has been killing his "prize?????" birds...so, his only answer left is to in his words..."Kill the bloddy fox"

Good job, he doesnt run the country eh??

Why buy fowl, keep them in less than adiquite runs, give them next to no protection....THEN complain that they are being killed of. Ok maybe its me, but i dont like these TV celebrity farmers...

:patch:

stardust
14-03--2006, 10:54 PM
i think i just watched the same programme as you apart from it was on chanel 2! (was it farmer jimmy or something?)

i am a little in two minds about this. if it was the same programme we're talking about, how can you say he didn't adequately protect them when the fences were huge and had really sturdy fence posts the whole way round? and at night they were locked in caravans that looked far more secure than regular hen houses?

he lost over a hundred chickens and all his turkeys, quail,ducklings etc. to stop this happening he shot four foxes and probably saved hundreds of birds.

i think it's sad for the fox, and in an ideal world it wouldn't happen, but at the end of the day, a fox wont just kill one chicken to eat, it will kill 20 chickens and just leave them there.

foxes have got alot of sympathy from the anti hunt people because they are killed in such a horrifically cruel manner by dogs, and it makes it easy to forget that they are merciless cruel animals. i know that is nature, but at least this guy didn't just call the hunt in and get the fox ripped to shreds. he chose the most humane way possible to kill it in order to save the lives of hundreds of birds.

the reason i say i was in two minds about this is because i cant stand seeing any animal die, but the sight of all those dead birds killed for no reason atall did make me think that he did the right thing.

Exedous
14-03--2006, 11:10 PM
Yes it was on BBC2...oops!!

He killed the foxes...sorry..but IMHO, he has the fowl, to kill, for cash reasons....its unfair to, kill foxes....Ys, as you say, they may be mercilessly cruel killers, but they have to live, just the smae as us all. What gives him the right...to play judge and jury, against nature????

He decided, that...without much evedince, {he found one carcus, outside a supposed fox den} he would bring in others, to kill the poor animals. I take it, if one of his pigs dies, he will destroy, everything, that surrounds him??!!

Sorry, this may be a view, that is wide of the mark, but i have more respect for the fox, than the fowl

stardust
14-03--2006, 11:18 PM
He killed the foxes...sorry..but IMHO, he has the fowl, to kill, for cash reasons....its unfair to, kill foxes....Ys, as you say, they may be mercilessly cruel killers, but they have to live, just the smae as us all. What gives him the right...to play judge and jury, against nature????

the guy obviously cared about his animals. i'm sure there are other farmers out there who care alot less about their birds, or only care if they get killed because they'll lose money. this guy seemed genuinely upset at the loss of his birds and they seemed to have a much better quality of life than alot of animals raised purely for profit. you say he has the fowl to kill for cash reasons, but i specifically remember him saying when he brought back the quail that he wanted them because otherwise they were going to end up on someones plate. that indicates to me he wanted them for other reasons than to kill them.

He decided, that...without much evedince, {he found one carcus, outside a supposed fox den} he would bring in others, to kill the poor animals. I take it, if one of his pigs dies, he will destroy, everything, that surrounds him??!!

without much evidence?? what other explanation can there be for 20 dead chickens with their necks bitten and a fox den nearby? and if just one of his pigs died i dont think he would have killed everything around them. he only took this action after over a hundred birds had been killed.

Sorry, this may be a view, that is wide of the mark, but i have more respect for the fox, than the fowl

i guess this is the reason we probably wont agree on this one then.

i prefer the chickens.

PeacePiper
15-03--2006, 03:55 PM
I must've seen the same program. I don't however remember him trying ANYTHING to deter the fox at all except mowing down some nettles. I don't understand why he waited a year as well letting all his birds die without actually doing anything about it, and then suddenly slaughtering all the local foxes!

When they showed the birds they were outside, where they had no protection at all, the big fence he had was more of a border than a fence, it could never stop a fox at its height let alone with it not having any wire on it

Yes foxes do go into a kill frenzy, but so did he when he killed the family of foxes. And how's a fox meant to control itself with such easy pickings?

Exedous
15-03--2006, 04:37 PM
I must've seen the same program. I don't however remember him trying ANYTHING to deter the fox at all except mowing down some nettles. I don't understand why he waited a year as well letting all his birds die without actually doing anything about it, and then suddenly slaughtering all the local foxes!

When they showed the birds they were outside, where they had no protection at all, the big fence he had was more of a border than a fence, it could never stop a fox at its height let alone with it not having any wire on it

Yes foxes do go into a kill frenzy, but so did he when he killed the family of foxes. And how's a fox meant to control itself with such easy pickings?
:clap:....:thumbup:....:clap:

stardust
15-03--2006, 06:05 PM
I must've seen the same program. I don't however remember him trying ANYTHING to deter the fox at all except mowing down some nettles.

how did you both miss seeing those huge great fence posts rammed into the ground? i saw what i felt to be a very secure enclosure. obviously not secure enough otherwise all the chickens would be alive, but theres only so much you can do.

I don't understand why he waited a year as well letting all his birds die without actually doing anything about it, and then suddenly slaughtering all the local foxes!

i think "slaughtering all the local foxes" is a bit of exaduration. he called in a trained gunman to kill four foxes in the most humane way possible in order to save many many more lives.

are you sure we were watching the same bit of the programme? i think he protected them to the best of his ability, and other ares of the programme made me think he cared alot more about the welfare of his birds than most farmers.

they weren't that easy pickings. i don't understand why you are so passionately defending an animal that "goes into a kill frenzy" and slaughters other animals just for the sake of it, yet you condem a man who kills four of these animals to save the lives of hundreds of other animals.

the farmer killed four foxes. the fox kills hundreds of animals.

yet the farmer is the bad guy and the fox is the innocent victim?

PeacePiper
16-03--2006, 10:31 PM
they weren't that easy pickings. i don't understand why you are so passionately defending an animal that "goes into a kill frenzy" and slaughters other animals just for the sake of it, yet you condem a man who kills four of these animals to save the lives of hundreds of other animals.

the farmer killed four foxes. the fox kills hundreds of animals.

yet the farmer is the bad guy and the fox is the innocent victim?

I thought he killed more than 4? Either way, I don't remember seeing any structure that would keep a fox out or even deter it, there was no fence behind the nettles he cut down to stop it hiding and the only fence I remember seeing was a pig fence, designed to stop a pig forcing it's way through but didn't even have wire mesh on it. I don't respect his first response being to kill all the foxes without even trying to deter them - and there are ways of trying to deter them. He did seem to care for his animals, but he also seemed suprisingly naive, why would he carry on buying birds when all the ones before got eaten?!
I don't condone the fox killing all the animals, but they are only animals, they follow instinct - I doubt they go there with the intent of killing them all. What's he going to do if another family of foxes moves in? Shoot all of them to? He as a human is supposed to have some sense, not the fox

bah! I don't think this is really going anywhere, my memory is a bit foggy. Agree to disagree?

stardust
17-03--2006, 05:27 PM
bah! I don't think this is really going anywhere, my memory is a bit foggy. Agree to disagree?

we're gonna have to on this one!