PDA

View Full Version : Cheltenham Festival

Atomik
17-03--2006, 11:03 AM
Horse deaths at Cheltenham - is this an acceptable price for our entertainment?

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/horseracing/story/0,,1732839,00.html

wiggy
17-03--2006, 11:08 AM
I hate horse racing, its horrible.
Them poor horses - whats the point of it all - bastards

Sunny
17-03--2006, 12:25 PM
Not acceptable at all. Horses are often killed in circumstances where they would possibly be brought back to health in a normal situations, but because they can no longer race, they are just disposed of. That is unacceptable.
To push a horse so much that they do have completely fatal injuries is unacceptable.
There are also the cases when horses are drugged for 'better performance'. That is unacceptable.
It is a complete waste of lives in the name of sport. I suppose they do look after their animals astoundingly well while they are fit and healthy, so that they are able to race. To then make those horses overexert themselves so much that they become completely disabled is just cruelty.

Sorry, strong views!

Sunny
xxx

Sarah
17-03--2006, 12:56 PM
Think its a disgrace that 7 beautiful animals have died just because people think its fun to watch them racing around a track! Absolutely disgusting!!

Whirler
17-03--2006, 08:08 PM
Some twat emailed BBC breakfast news this morning saying that 'if the horses didn't like jumping they wouldn't do it'. :rolleyes: Fucking thick fucking idiot. Horse racing, greyhound racing, what's the point?

Milo
17-03--2006, 09:39 PM
Horse racing, greyhound racing, what's the point?

Making money.

Yeah, it's mad and sad and bad and yet it's no worse than the exploitation of any other animals in any other circumstances, is it, and the horses that don't make the grade have a far worse time than those which died today. More horse racing info here (http://www.animalaid.org.uk/campaign/sport/ridingb.htm) and here (http://www.animalaid.org.uk/campaign/sport/riding.htm).

And next month there's the Grand National, generally a far more vicious and dangerous race.

A nation of animal lovers ??? :(

Whirler
17-03--2006, 09:48 PM
Sorry Milo, I meant what's the point in watching? Apart from the betting aspect, I don't understand how animals racing can be entertaining. There are all sorts of sport that I don't get but when it involves creatures who don't have a choice it's beyond me. But then so is most of human nature. :rolleyes:

Rae
22-03--2006, 12:04 AM
Some twat emailed BBC breakfast news this morning saying that 'if the horses didn't like jumping they wouldn't do it'.

I herd someone say that at least the horses die doing something they love. Now thats a true twat.

Whirler
22-03--2006, 09:34 PM
I herd someone say that at least the horses die doing something they love. And people wonder why I'm cynical. :rolleyes:

Duckman
23-03--2006, 12:38 AM
I thought that the Cheltenham Festival was a book fest where erudite speakers make speaches about this book or other and is attended by the cafe- latte set where they discuss the meaning of life.

Getting back to horse racing , I agree with everything that has been said. Essentially like car racing it has out lived its original purpose and usefulness.
Once upon a time having fast horses was necessary for the defence of the country. Since horses are no longer used in battle, such an activity has been rendered useless.

Thoroughbred horses that cannot run fast enough are live exported to countries for human consumption.

Even for people who win bets, all they are doing is benefiting from other peoples' losses. When I think about it, gambling is an anathema to hippydom.

Aunty Al
23-03--2006, 09:48 AM
I agree. It is a barbaric sport that uses horses like disposable commodities. Having seen the air-heads that Aintree seems to attract, I reckon most of the animals are more intelligent than those who choose to watch it. There has to be something better that people can bet on if they want to get theri kicks by paying the bookies.

wiggy
23-03--2006, 03:44 PM
Ohh yeah they have the grand national soon dont they - lovely. See how many horses die.

I have never given money to horse racing, grey hound racing etc. Its vile that people abuse animals like that and get away with it!!!!!

uma
09-04--2006, 12:46 PM
Actually people are led to believe that the horses are well looked after and are as sunny put it 'fit and healthy', this is generally not the case at all. They are 'broken' in at a very very young age (doing this causes their backs to stoop when they are older and causes horrendious other problems!), and worked very very hard meaning that their life expectancy is about 7-8 usually. If they live longer than this they are thought of as being 'past their best' and put to the slaughter house, unless someone rescues them. they have awful lives, are pumped full of drugs to keep them calm whilst loading them in the race boxes before the race and also given drugs for them to run faster. They get a different rider all the time, so cannot build a bond with them. All they are loved for is the money they make.
I think its the most disguisting thing ever, and detest anyone who supports or watches the creulty.
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

behind the sun
09-04--2006, 04:19 PM
my opinion is quite alot more logical- backs being disfigured? when was the last time you saw a horse running and jumping at 40 miles an hour with a bad back??? its like saying the world champion 110m hurdler has awful hips. he simply would not be a competitive hurdler.
these horses are worth millions. literally millions. and people depend on their performance so they can win lots of money. A race horse lifestyle is 5star hotel treatment with added health spa. really. there is absolutely no way the real winners- of cheltenham, aintree, derby etc would win if they were not happy. why would a good racehorse trainer treat a horse badly- they are their source of income.

Atomik
09-04--2006, 05:02 PM
Why would a good slave driver racehorse trainer treat a slave horse badly? They are their source of income. ;)

behind the sun
09-04--2006, 05:19 PM
yea thats right brains, sorry i forgot that a slave master invested millions in each slave, and would make the money bac/ get a profit depending on how succesful the slave was at winning competitions through there lives.

Atomik
09-04--2006, 05:45 PM
yea thats right brainsYou're really setting out to make friends in your first few posts, aren't ya? Watch the sarcastic comments, ok?

sorry i forgot that a slave master invested millions in each slave, and would make the money bac/ get a profit depending on how succesful the slave was at winning competitions through there lives.Slaves were often very costly to their owners. Despite their physical fitness being directly related to their profitability, this didn't detract from their mistreatment and abuse. In much the same way with horses, it's quite possible to abuse them while at the same time making sure they retain their ability to race. Seeing an animal as financial investment is usually the last thing that's likely to inspire someone to treat it as a living creature deserving of care and compassion.

PeacePiper
09-04--2006, 06:03 PM
yea thats right brains, sorry i forgot that a slave master invested millions in each slave, and would make the money bac/ get a profit depending on how succesful the slave was at winning competitions through there lives.

They were called Gladiators!

Atomik
09-04--2006, 07:19 PM
Actually, we already have a thread about the grand national. Both these threads seem to be discussing the general principles of horse racing though, so I'm gonna lock this one and ask that we confine discussion to the one thread for simplicity. You can find it here (http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3875http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3875).