PDA

View Full Version : L'Oréal buys Body Shop for £652m

Ms. Vee
17-03--2006, 03:16 PM
http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1733144,00.html

I guess even supposed 'ethical' companies have a price....
I don't understand what the Roddicks are thinking on this one (apart from "moneymoneymoney"). The Body Shop have built their business on being against animal testing, but then go and sell out to one of the most notorious animal testing cosmetic brands out there!

I should imagine the Body Shop will lose a lot of customers over this one.

Atomik
17-03--2006, 03:17 PM
I remember Anita Roddick doing adverts for Barclaycard. The woman never had any principles to start with.

stuoolong
17-03--2006, 03:49 PM
I remember them being the first High Street shop to say that they wouldn't stock any products tested on animals, which was commendable, but apart from that, is there anything about them that is ethical? Listening to the news report about it this morning, you'd think they were the world's greenest company. Not in the least, in my book. This will not tarnish my view of them as being corporate whores littering every High Street.

Sunny
17-03--2006, 03:54 PM
I just heard about this this morning. The Body shop's success was going to attract things like this at some point. So annoying though! Hmmm, people do let their morals slip for business :eek:

Love,
Sunny
xxx

Rae
17-03--2006, 04:20 PM
Thats so stupid, so now there is no shops that are 'safe' to go into, f*cking twats.

monkey monkey
17-03--2006, 04:58 PM
I remember Anita Roddick doing adverts for Barclaycard. The woman never had any principles to start with.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Though I have no doubt that her beauty products keep Western women looking young, a lot of the recipes were taken from tribes and villages, who were offered very little in return. There's not much that these places have in the first place - a friend of mine met a Body Shop representative on their travels in Africa. It's not all about delicate fragrances and natural cleansing, it's about the village fields being bought by an English company.

Up until the late nineties, though their own products were clean, the ingredients which they shipped in to make some of their products were tested on animals.

The worst kind of trade is one that works under the pretence of being 'ethical'.

Paul
17-03--2006, 05:18 PM
Thats so stupid, so now there is no shops that are 'safe' to go into, f*cking twats.
Lush?

Tigerdaddy
17-03--2006, 05:25 PM
Yep, Lush..........

http://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?main_page=gv_faq&faq_item=1 :)

Whirler
17-03--2006, 08:00 PM
Up until the late nineties, though their own products were clean, the ingredients which they shipped in to make some of their products were tested on animals.

The worst kind of trade is one that works under the pretence of being 'ethical'.Yeah, this is what I remember - no different than buying products from Boots eh? I know lots of people who love Body Shop products but I've always been fairly disappointed in the past and haven't used them for years.

I also went for a job there a few years back as manager or assistant manager. They did a massive group interview that lasted a whole day with loads of role play and team building shite. Corporate with a capital CORP.

scarlett
17-03--2006, 10:36 PM
try to source out local products...many towns have markets where home produced scrubs, face creams and body oils are sold...

and LUSH....can't walk past that shop without buying something..when i die i want half my ashes scattered in Lush and the other half in Thorntons;)

Barefoot_Surfer
18-03--2006, 12:35 AM
I am really pissed that this has happened. I am now avoiding Body Shop like the plague. This is due to the fact that I am boycotting Nestle. Anybody else who is doing this boycott should do the same. The reason for this is L'Oreal is 50% owned by Nestle. What a bummer.
Matt

Whirler
18-03--2006, 11:29 AM
and LUSH....can't walk past that shop without buying something..I can't walk past LUSH without sneezing!!! :D And yes it seems pretty easy to find handmade beauty products in most places these days or even online. Or we could start making our own!!!

pretty polly
19-03--2006, 01:23 PM
Lush?

lush is my haven, even though they do use a few nasty chemicals, they are still more ethically sound than most