PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Mexican Feast for 2

Whirler
18-03--2006, 04:22 PM
This is one of my favourite meals....most of it isn't authentic and I've made it up generally but it tastes damn good!!!

Salsa
Red onion - chopped
Chilli - as hot as ya want - chopped
Red pepper - chopped
Chopped tin tomatoes

Guacamole
1-2 Ripe avocados
1-2 cloves garlic
Chilli - small amount
Red onion - small amount
Lemon or lime juice
Salt & Black Pepper

Wraps
2 Tortillas
1 tin of beans mashed (borlotti or kidney beans)
Wine
Stock
Onion or spring onions
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Cheese

Additional - Nachos, Sour Cream

Firstly prepare the salsa. Gently fry the onion until soft, add chilli and red pepper, cook gently for a couple of minutes then add half a tin of tomatoes. Cook down until the liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool then refrigerate.

Guacamole. Scoop out avocado flesh and put in blender with garlic, chilli and onion. Blend then add some lemon or lime juice with the salt & pepper. This is when you need to taste so you can add more juice if needed. Refrigerate.

To make the wraps, re-fry the beans. Fry the onion with the cumin and cayenne pepper. When soft add the mashed beans, stir then gradually add some white wine and stock. You want a mushy pulp that's not too wet. When ready spoon into a tortilla and add grated cheddar on top. Roll and place in oven for 10 ish minutes until the tortilla and its insides are hot!

Serve the guacamole with nachos.
Serve the wraps with salsa and salad, and if you're feeling naughty add some sour cream!

This is a nice meal which is very easy to make as everything's in stages so it can be prepped up. Plus you can do some washing up while waiting! :) I've experimented with the wraps including vegetables and rice. You can use anything you want - but the refried beans are my fav!

There are also lots of different ways to make salsa - usually using raw ingredients, just experiment and find what works for you.