PDA

View Full Version : World News famine in africa

sensamelia
24-03--2006, 05:26 PM
20 million face threat of famine in Africa
Half of the countries affected belong to OIC, from which there is little aid

London: More than 20 million people in the Horn of Africa are at risk of famine in conditions which the head of the World Food Programme (WFP) has described as the worst in his experience.
James Morris, executive director of the WFP, the U.N.'s food aid organisation, was in London to warn the international community that millions of people in Kenya, Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia and the Tanzania are now at risk because of drought.
Declining food stock

The rain cycle in the area has decreased steadily over the last decade, and the WFP is running out of food for 3.5 million Kenyans who need emergency assistance, he said, warning that the death toll would rise if sufficient funds were not forthcoming from donor countries. ``These people have run out of food and water,'' he said of north-eastern Kenya, which he has just visited. ``Unless we reach them all very soon we will run out of time.''
The recent Kenyan corruption scandals should not affect aid, he added. ``We don't do our work through governments, we do it through NGOs or do it ourselves... Children have nothing to do with corruption, they're often the victims of it.''
While all donations in the form of food and grain are welcome, Mr. Morris said money from donors remains essential as it gives the WFP flexibility to buy locally. ``We could eliminate hunger for children in Africa for 3 billion,'' he said.
The director acknowledged that aid often only appears in times of catastrophe. ``The whole world needs to do a better job on early-warning systems,'' he said. ``The world never responds as quickly as would perfectly be the case.''
One of the primary challenges, he said, is catching world attention. The film "The Constant Gardener", for which actress Rachel Weisz just won an Oscar, helped create awareness of the problem and the WFP's work. Mr. Morris said the film All the Invisible Children, seven vignettes on starving children by directors including Ridley Scott, Emir Kusturica, John Woo and Spike Lee, also had had a major effect.
Donors tend to respond most swiftly when a crisis is covered by the media.
``Those crises that get the most attention in the media have the best chance of being funded.'' While an estimated 25,000 people died of hunger every day, he said, "90 per cent of them will not die in a high-profile situation.''
Half of the countries affected by hunger, he said, belong to the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, and one issue to be addressed is the role of these nations, from whom there is a shortage of donations. Saudi Arabia has not yet donated in the current crisis, and while the WFP needs to raise 10 per cent of its budget from West Asia, he said currently less than 1 per cent is forthcoming.
i thought this was well worth a read and really made me think

aarghapanda
29-04--2006, 09:36 AM
Yes. And 1-2% of the USA's defence budget would solve the problem. Forever.

schizomorph
01-05--2006, 12:30 PM
Hmmm, I just found this but I'm going to have a further look. I suppose sending canned food might be better than sending money...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3404081.stm

matthew
02-05--2006, 10:06 PM
Yes. And 1-2% of the USA's defence budget would solve the problem. Forever.

If only it was as simple as that *sigh*

crap muppet
03-05--2006, 08:21 AM
Hmmm, I just found this but I'm going to have a further look. I suppose sending canned food might be better than sending money...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3404081.stm

Surprise surprise - people not listening to the real needs again!