PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Shopping

Atomik
03-10--2005, 09:50 AM
What do people think of the current state of veggie food ranges in UK supermarkets? Is the situation improving or deteriorating? It's kinda hard to judge living in the sticks, coz the supermarkets are more geared towards six-fingered inbred food habits.

I remember for many years, the supermarkets seemed to improve gradually, but I get the impression lately that they've stalled or are even sliding back. The other thing I've noticed is that lots of veggie stuff is often out of stock.

Boy Anachronism
03-10--2005, 10:47 AM
Yes, I notice that too. Big cities are alright, but village supermarkets take the piss in my opinion.
On a tangent, I noticed that Quorn have started advertising on TV pushing the lowfat aspect of Quorn, without actually stating outright that Quorn is vegetarian. I think this a good thing, and that all other veg-food companies should follow suit. There are more dieters than vegetarians, so, if the popularity of these foods is increased, we should see more choice in supermarkets. I hope.

stormypagan
03-10--2005, 12:47 PM
In relation to fresh produce, I see that organic veggies are starting to take a back seat again too, like the green household enviro products, the fashion/fad for these and organic foods has subsided as has the products themselves. Bit like GMO too which is creeping in because it is soon forgotton about :0( And the price of these things is so unnecessary so no wonder folk don't buy much of them. Supermarkets have a habit of storing their fruit and veggies for weeks anyway, so they aren't really all that fresh when we buy them and soon go off.

Fortunately there still seem to be the organic veg box schemes in many areas, and health food shops in most towns.

As for veggie convience foods I still see them in the supermarkets but they lack vegan foods in this range. Mind you better to make from scratch where possible and also the good old health food shops are the stars for us veggie/vegans, even if the prices are a bit steep but thats the price you pay for ethical living SADLY.

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Atomik
03-10--2005, 01:19 PM
In relation to fresh produce, I see that organic veggies are starting to take a back seat again too, like the green household enviro products, the fashion/fad for these and organic foods has subsided as has the products themselves. Bit like GMO too which is creeping in because it is soon forgotton about :0( Yeah, I've noticed this to an extent. Seems to vary though. Sainsburys still seem pretty good on the organic food. Main problem there is I hate buying individually plastic wrapped veggies.

Fortunately there still seem to be the organic veg box schemes in many areas, and health food shops in most towns.Veg boxes aren't much help when you need a particular ingredient though. And our local health food shop seems to fluctuate wildly in the range it carries. Some of which is probably seasonal and down to problems with supply, but it still makes the supermarket a valuable 2nd port of call.

[quote]As for veggie convience foods I still see them in the supermarkets but they lack vegan foods in this range. Mind you better to make from scratch where possibleWell I cook/prepare 95% of my own food. Even the lunches I take to work are a variety of healthy home-made salads. Most of the food I buy is organic and 99% of the food I eat is free from preservatives, additives, flavourings and colourings. But I work full time, and sometimes I just need to have some crap from the freezer that I can shove in the oven when I get home.

and also the good old health food shops are the stars for us veggie/vegans, even if the prices are a bit steep but thats the price you pay for ethical living SADLY.In principle, I'm in agreement here. I don't even mind paying over the odds in favour of using local shops. But our local health food shop is way behind pricey. It has over a 100% mark-up on many good when compared to supermarkets. Now I know there's many good reasons for much of the price disparity, but the massive prices in our health food shop simply can not be justified.

TREASON
03-10--2005, 03:26 PM
On a tangent, I noticed that Quorn have started advertising on TV pushing the lowfat aspect of Quorn, without actually stating outright that Quorn is vegetarian. I think this a good thing, and that all other veg-food companies should follow suit. There are more dieters than vegetarians, so, if the popularity of these foods is increased, we should see more choice in supermarkets. I hope.

alpro advertise loads.
i dont think supermarkets do as much as they should, i shop at supermarket but have to go to health food shop to get the vegan stuff i want, pain in the ass really cus there in the opposit direction from each other as i walk out my house.

yeah health food shop here is a fuckin rip off too, i hate given them my cash. its a big veggie/vegan supermarket, infinity foods. its cornered the market here and is always busy so if anythink it should be cheaper then other places ive lived, but its not.
its a workers co op too, funny how peoples morals go out the window when the cash starts rollin in.

stormypagan
03-10--2005, 05:19 PM
Sounds like you are in Brighton Treason, they have a big shop there!!

Claerie
03-10--2005, 05:24 PM
overpriced and crap.

especially vegan ranges.

Atomik
03-10--2005, 05:27 PM
overpriced and crap.

especially vegan ranges.Overpriced compared to what? My local health food shop is at least 150% more expensive than the supermarkets on almost everything. I'd have said 'cheap' was on of the few good things you could say about supermarkets!

stormypagan
03-10--2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah, ok I use super markets for convience (eg. tesco soya milk is 69p and the cheapest in healthfood shops is about 1) but what annoys me is that they cause local shops to close down :0( and get the monopoly on produce. They can afford to stay cheap because they are multinationals and have the every day consumers, like us, over a barrel. Can't win really so you have to make the best of it!! And with a growing family, one wage earner now, we have to shop sensibily.

stormypagan
03-10--2005, 06:00 PM
Blooming eck, listen to us. I'll be sitting in bus stops talking about the war time rations next hehehe!!

Atomik
03-10--2005, 06:12 PM
Blooming eck, listen to us. I'll be sitting in bus stops talking about the war time rations next hehehe!!Oooh, I dunno. Weather's been a bit awful though! ;)

stormypagan
03-10--2005, 06:23 PM
"And did you hear about Ethels husband Bert .. you would never of thought it of him!!" <twitch twitch on net curtains>

Atomik
03-10--2005, 06:26 PM
"And did you hear about Ethels husband Bert .. you would never of thought it of him!!" <twitch twitch on net curtains>Ooooooh! Well I never! He never did! Shocking!

Whirler
03-10--2005, 06:30 PM
I remember going to Tesco's last year in Southend where my mum lives and I was astounded at the huge range of fresh and frozen vegetarian foods, there was stuff I never knew existed! Coming back home was a real disappointment. So like Dok says, we don't know if it's just a 'local' thing, generally the supermarkets round here are out of stock of most things.

I'd love to join a box scheme but all the ones I've seen need someone to be in to receive the box which is a pain 'cos I'm at work. Bah.

Dready Warrior
03-10--2005, 07:49 PM
They can afford to stay cheap because they are multinationals and have the every day consumers, like us, over a barrel. Can't win really so you have to make the best of it!!

hit the nail on the head there stormy!

the only way forward as i see it is to become as self sufficiant as possible. most people can grow some veggies even if its in pots by a window. all this packaged organic overpriced veg is bollocks... our garden was full of organic veg when i was a kid, i feel we all need to get back to that way of living.

i find tescos has a pretty good veggie range but i hate giving them my money so don't buy them very often. talking of tesco, did you know they are putting microchips on packaging that can track that product, they say they will only use it in store but we all know that multinationals LIE! and they have a 95% share in a japenese supermarket chain that still sell whale meat?

sainsburys seem a little more ethical as far as multinationals go but are also more expensive.

asda i wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

lidls is cheap but no good for ready made veggie stuff.

Flibbertigibbet
03-10--2005, 07:58 PM
I am fortunate in some ways living in Brighton where we have vegan fast food burgers, infinity foods, loads of vegan and veggie restaurants and cafes, you can get soya mlk in many cafes too and we even have a milkshake bar that does soya milkshakes.....but i have not always lived here but it is shameful how quickly you expect everywhere to be like that but end up odrering chips and salad and a baguette if you are really hungry :wink3:

Atomik
03-10--2005, 08:09 PM
the only way forward as i see it is to become as self sufficiant as possible. most people can grow some veggies even if its in pots by a window. all this packaged organic overpriced veg is bollocks... our garden was full of organic veg when i was a kid, i feel we all need to get back to that way of living.In an ideal world, yeah, I agree. But the way we live today? I haven't even got a garden, and working full time, I simply don't have the hours in the day to dedicate towards producing much of my own food.

Whirler
03-10--2005, 08:16 PM
I am fortunate in some ways living in Brighton where we have vegan fast food burgers, infinity foods, loads of vegan and veggie restaurants and cafes, you can get soya mlk in many cafes too and we even have a milkshake bar that does soya milkshakes.....but i have not always lived here but it is shameful how quickly you expect everywhere to be like that but end up odrering chips and salad and a baguette if you are really hungry :wink3:I love Brighton for that and I can totally believe that you'd get used to it really quickly! In those situations I end up thinking that if some people can get it so right, why does everyone else get it so wrong? Glastonbury drives me mad for that, there's so much potential and it's just wasted. Grrrrr :mad:

stormypagan
03-10--2005, 08:36 PM
co-ops cool well more ethical, label vegan, veggie and non tested but still a tad expensive for my liking :0)

Dready Warrior
03-10--2005, 08:51 PM
In an ideal world, yeah, I agree. But the way we live today? I haven't even got a garden, and working full time, I simply don't have the hours in the day to dedicate towards producing much of my own food.

honestly dok you dont need much time. dont believe the lies from TV gardeners trying to make it sound like you need to be skilled or have lots of time or lots of space!

allotments are still available in lots of areas and like i said before even if its just some herbs on a windowsill and some pots with tomatos or potatos in! i spent half the summer on the road going to festis, when i was home i was catching up with other stuff. i hardly touched my garden believe it or not mother nature does a damn fine job on her own!

take a look here http://www.schnews.co.uk/diyguide/directactiongardening.htm

Atomik
03-10--2005, 08:55 PM
honestly dok you dont need much time. dont believe the lies from TV gardeners trying to make it sound like you need to be skilled or have lots of time or lots of space!Oh I know, but I don't even have a little bit of time usually! Just preparing fresh food for breakfast, lunch and dinner seems to take its toll!

and like i said before even if its just some herbs on a windowsill and some pots with tomatos or potatos in!Ain't got a useable windowsill :(

I'm sure it can work great for a lot of people, and it's something I'd like to aim towards, but it's just not practical for me at the moment.

matthew
03-10--2005, 09:01 PM
i find tescos has a pretty good veggie range but i hate giving them my money so don't buy them very often. talking of tesco, did you know they are putting microchips on packaging that can track that product, they say they will only use it in store but we all know that multinationals LIE! and they have a 95% share in a japenese supermarket chain that still sell whale meat?

sainsburys seem a little more ethical as far as multinationals go but are also more expensive.

asda i wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

lidls is cheap but no good for ready made veggie stuff.

It is just for stock levels..and better management of goods.. Nothing to worry about...

I have noticed that Tesco are emerging as a figure of resentment.. i even started a 'Fuck Tesco' as a joke about 6 months ago or so.. if any nice person wishes to retrieve it from that other well known hippy site..feel free.

They are building a huge Tesco near my work..no protestors yet.

Dready Warrior
03-10--2005, 09:07 PM
It is just for stock levels..and better management of goods.. Nothing to worry about...

yeah right i aint that gullible!

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2003/08/275633.html
http://www.out-law.com/page-3771
http://www.schnews.org.uk/archive/news415.htm

Atomik
03-10--2005, 09:08 PM
yeah right i aint that gullible! Matthew's one of Tony's Cronies. You gotta watch him! :eek:

stormypagan
04-10--2005, 10:54 AM
allotments are still available in lots of areas

And they are only about a 5 a year which is a bargain for growing your own. Hoping to take one on next year too :0) You could even share one among a few friends and do it as a co-operative, that way you share the tasks, cuts down your time you would have to invest in it as a full-time worker but you still get to reap the benefit of sharing the produce, coz most home growers find they over produce and end up giving stuff away :0)

Firinne
04-10--2005, 01:22 PM
I tend to balance my food shopping between the local market and supermarkets - I prefer eating locally sourced food and supporting the local food trade, so I buy fruit/veg etc ... from the market and rely on supermarkets for veggie convenience food (an unfortunate staple of my diet at the moment, because I'm always tired and busy).

It's not always possible (and rarely affordable!) to get everything I need from health food shops, so I tend to use those for vitamins, household stuff and personal care products. It'd be nice to have one shop where I could go for completely healthy, ethical food and eco-friendly products. It's a pain in the backside having a shopping list that requires 4 or 5 different shops that are all at opposite ends of the city.

Whirler
04-10--2005, 04:06 PM
It pisses me off that organic veg and decent healthy products are generally out of the range of the poorer section of society. It can feel sometimes that health is a privilage of the middle classes.

Atomik
04-10--2005, 04:10 PM
It can feel sometimes that health is a privilage of the middle classes. Feels like that to me all the time!

Whirler
04-10--2005, 04:52 PM
LOL I was trying to be diplomatic :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Atomik
04-10--2005, 04:58 PM
LOL I was trying to be diplomatic :rolleyes: :mrgreen:Dip..... lo..... mmmmm....... nope, doesn't mean a thing to me! :insane:

matthew
04-10--2005, 05:56 PM

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2003/08/275633.html
http://www.out-law.com/page-3771
http://www.schnews.org.uk/archive/news415.htm

Tesco to snap every shopper
By Ed Harris, Evening Standard
12 August 2003

Tesco supermarket is testing a "Big Brother" anti-theft system which takes pictures of everyone buying high-value products in a bid to stop shoplifting.

A microchip the size of a grain of sand is attached to each product and - when someone removes that product from a display - an instore CCTV camera is triggered.

Civil liberties campaigners have criticised the experiment, and protested outside the Cambridge-supermarket where it is being carried out. They described the pilot, by Tesco, as an infringement of privacy and called on shoppers to boycott the chain until it drops the idea.

Tesco [and every other retailer it seems these days] 'snaps' every shopper anyway with its in store cameras ..So do the multitude of other CCTV cameras [on the side of buildings and city cetres] designed to prevent criminality and if not try and catch criminals [with outstanding success with the London bombers]

The CCTV images are destroyed once a product passes through the checkout and is paid for. Otherwise they can be retained to identify and possibly prosecute thieves. Police are said to be "impressed" with the quality of the images.

Thats sound highly orwelian.. i would imagine shoppers don't appreciate the goods they buy, being artificialy inflated to cover theft.. wich i think runs into hundreds of thousands of pounds, yearly. I would much prefer the capture of criminals by a more sophisticated equipment, than the grainy images we normaly see on CrimeWatch.

A spokesman for Tesco told the Guardian that, "Customers know that there are CCTV cameras in the store". He told the newspaper that the RFID trial was intended to assist with supply chain management, not security, but the Guardian reports that Alan Robinson, who manages the store, has already provided police with photos of a shoplifter stealing blades.

See , i told you..

They won't even be able to 'activate' them once you are out of range of the base station anyway...Clear your mind of 'enemy of the state' crazyness..

Oh, i don't know about that..:whistle: .. No with respect.. chill out about it.

matthew
04-10--2005, 05:59 PM
Matthew's one of Tony's Cronies. You gotta watch him! :eek:

You gotta watch your back..more than anyone around here..:whistle:

matthew
04-10--2005, 06:01 PM
Back to the thread.... I buy my frozen stuff from Iceland.. They have a fairly decent range.. and more to the point [i would imagin for a lot of you] GM free.

Atomik
04-10--2005, 06:02 PM
You gotta watch your back..more than anyone around here..:whistle:http://www.ukhippy.com/gallery/files/3/Gabe_destroy_idiot_final.jpg

:harhar:

matthew
04-10--2005, 06:05 PM
It's not always possible (and rarely affordable!) to get everything I need from health food shops, so I tend to use those for vitamins, household stuff and personal care products. It'd be nice to have one shop where I could go for completely healthy, ethical food and eco-friendly products. It's a pain in the backside having a shopping list that requires 4 or 5 different shops that are all at opposite ends of the city.

Navigation
| Overview (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/0a3fb91d781285de80256e8a004c4e90?OpenDoc ument)[/URL] (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/92d8dc39be1b060680256c780036f847?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/88e118f61705f54180256c78003468e0?OpenDoc ument) | (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/c03e9d8c662d812080256c78003431c1?OpenDoc ument)A New Hunger (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/3daa3687ddd1c32280256e8a004fce01?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/88e118f61705f54180256c78003468e0?OpenDoc ument)| Who Cares About Ethics (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/cc2df78e2ad3659380256e91005a18b9?OpenDoc ument) | (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/3c423f14eba128a580256c7800340f35?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/92d8dc39be1b060680256c780036f847?OpenDoc ument)A New Commitment (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/5900adaac3df1b7680256e8a004fdbdf?OpenDoc ument) |
| A New Momentum (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/872f6e15789864d280256e8a004ff74c?OpenDoc ument) | A New Agenda (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/ccd1ce89a6c6ce4780256e8a00500f15?OpenDoc ument)| The Whole Truth (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/7f06b5a14ea3a2a080256e8a0050331e?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/92d8dc39be1b060680256c780036f847?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/88e118f61705f54180256c78003468e0?OpenDoc ument) | (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/c03e9d8c662d812080256c78003431c1?OpenDoc ument) Food integrity (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/2486aa16cac2fbcd80256e8a00506efb?OpenDoc ument) | Animal Welfare & Animal Testing (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/ffb274db72bc8dc880256e8a00512a90?OpenDoc ument) | Globalisation and Poverty Reduction (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/01fa27a70760f31880256e8a0051ee3a?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/0a3fb91d781285de80256e8a004c4e90?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/3daa3687ddd1c32280256e8a004fce01?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/3c423f14eba128a580256c7800340f35?OpenDoc ument) |Environment and Sustainability (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/3f8aea07eb8dd14d80256e8a00522e61?OpenDoc ument) | Local Communities (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/66796619bdd5715a80256e8a005328b9?OpenDoc ument) | A New Challenge (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/8b1d803854bd138480256e8a00539a7b?OpenDoc ument) |
| Our Way of Doing Business (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/a4587e5cb1e1c5eb80256e8a0053d734?OpenDoc ument) | Co-op Home Page (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/www.co-op.co.uk) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/0a3fb91d781285de80256e8a004c4e90?OpenDoc ument) (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/3daa3687ddd1c32280256e8a004fce01?OpenDoc ument)[URL="http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/c03e9d8c662d812080256c78003431c1?OpenDoc ument"] (http://www.co-op.co.uk:8080/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/3c423f14eba128a580256c7800340f35?OpenDoc ument) |

Try the Co-op.. http://www.co-op.co.uk/ or have you already ?

matthew
04-10--2005, 06:12 PM
:harhar:

:waves: Hi Dok' .... :harhar:

Dready Warrior
04-10--2005, 08:57 PM
No with respect.. chill out about it.

hehehe its not really something i think about much just brought it up as we were talking about supermarkets

Firinne
04-10--2005, 09:02 PM
Try the Co-op.. http://www.co-op.co.uk/ or have you already ?

I pop in there occasionally too, all in all I probably end up buying different things from around 12 places in any given week .. and I wonder why I never have any time :rolleyes:

Sarah
05-10--2005, 12:53 PM
Well having read this thread I got up this morning determined to do something different for shopping this week...

I visited the market in Frome (held on a wednesday and saturday) and went to the Wessex Organics stall.. ok so its a little more expensive than buying from the supermarket but for 10 I got

A small loaf of spelt (not sure if thats right but anyhoo) bread and its bloody lovely to be eating brown bread that doesn't send me dashin to the loo actually :wiggle:
5 parsnips
14 carrots
4 little cox's apples
a bunch of banana's
a massive bag of spinach
Broccolli
a bag of alfalfa sprouts
a bag of mixed bean sprouts

and I can order a 10 box once a week and specify what I want in it - all of it organically grown and most of it sourced from within a 25 mile radius of my home :D

Unfortunatley for Dok and Whirler they don't cover Glastonbury - just frome,warminster, bradford on avon etc.. but guys.. if you are ever over this way on a Wednesay do check it out - just by the market cross :)

Packaging consisted of two plastic bags which the sprouts are in and two brown paper bags for the carrots and parsnips which will go on the compost and a large polythene bag with the spinach in - I can re-use that or recycle :D

I don't mind that it cost maybe twice as much as the same goods in the supermarket because the veg and fruit is gonna taste bloody lush if the sprouts are anything to go buy.. and SO NICE TO BUY CARROTS AND PARSNIPS WITH MUD ON!!!!!!!!

Mind you.. If I worked during the day then I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the market but at least they deliver boxes :)

Dapablo
05-10--2005, 09:54 PM
If you look at the percentage of your income spent on fruit and vegetables it would be miniscule, if you don't buy food made by somone else you can spend the money on quality ingredients.

I get my produce from the local farmers market, but the range is usually supplemented by the local supermarket, only one to choose from mind.

Cooking is a pleasurable pastime, even for the kids, pies, stews and curries can be batch made and then stored, for your convenience foods.

beautiful_day
11-10--2005, 02:57 PM
Tesco's and Sainsburies are pretty decent for organic fruit and veg at reasonable prices (apart from the avocadoes :p) and for the other stuff the local health food shop and holland and barretts are reasonable (for seeds and soy milk and all that crap, I know these companies get bad press for overpricing but ive always found them pretty reasonable for most things...

Apart from all this Gillian McKieth sponsored bollocks lol.