PDA

View Full Version : Hippies vs Flower Children ....

LalaGirl
15-04--2009, 03:48 PM
Hippie vs Flower children ..do you believe there to be a difference ?

i was raised to believe there is a difference , that Hippies turn on , tune in and Drop out & Flower children Make Love Not war.

what i mean to say is, that Hippies do other drugs besides pot, they follow more of Tim Leary type of thinking, psychedelics and such.

and Flower Children try to save the world.. more of a Make Love Not War type of life style ...

How say you? was i raised all wrong?

My Aunt and Uncles, & my parents took offense to being called hippies, they would correct you and say "No we are Flower Children"

medusa
15-04--2009, 03:55 PM
How say you? was i raised all wrong?
How are people supposed to answer that without causing offense to you and yours? ;)

Its bollocks in my opinion.Theyre just labels,and we've established many times on this site that 'hippy' has no overall meaning,its just a loose term for a wide variety of people with vague things in common..
And Flower Children just sounds yoghurt weavy :S

You did ask..

the dj
15-04--2009, 03:56 PM
i thought they were one and the same, lala - i dunno x

LalaGirl
15-04--2009, 03:58 PM
shoot, i why would i take offense on a MB??, hells bells i have been a moderator of a MB for a long time now.. and message boards are what they are .. a place to get your own opinion or message out .

that is what we are doing here, discussing a topic and asking for opinions .

scarlett
15-04--2009, 04:11 PM
Hippy is like the word Pagan..just an umbrella term now...

Danni
15-04--2009, 04:13 PM
what i mean to say is, that Hippies do other drugs besides pot, they follow more of Tim Leary type of thinking, psychedelics and such.

:wag:

medusa
15-04--2009, 04:15 PM
why would i take offense on a MB??
In that case Lala,your family are nuts :D

Youre American though right,and this was years ago so maybe in your parents day and area there was some sort of clear divide within the hippy/alternative movement? There isnt now though..the term 'hippy' is pretty meaningless and has nothing to do with drug choices :)

rookie167
15-04--2009, 04:27 PM
i agree with pedantic pikey, but that brings me to a similar debate.... i always used labels broadly, and though as a child i found the term 'new age traveller' very yoghurt weavey, and actually mildly offensive (didn't want to be lumped in with me folks, not cool when you're 12) i have since been told off for referring to people living on a traveller site in vans as pikeys, and i meant it in a very affectionate way. the person who told me off thought of pikeys as nere do well thieves, blaggers and scum, whereas i.d refer to myself as a pikey, and i'm none of the above. all in all, a load of tosh, we're all individual, and i reckon everyone should be asumed to be being nice until proven otherwise. why take offense at these nothings?

trippy
15-04--2009, 04:28 PM
thats what flower children are they are hippies not all hippies do drugs but even the ones that do believe in 'make love not war', may be your parents were worried about what the neighbors would think, please dont take offence & at the end of the day just be you, all the best to you, peace & love

Danni
15-04--2009, 04:39 PM
actually yea..didnt notice you were from the us..ive heard of the term flower children,but only in reading..never ever heard it being used so maybe its a cultural difference thing

medusa
15-04--2009, 04:44 PM
i found the term 'new age traveller' very yoghurt weavey
Me too,though appropriately so at times ;)

Trouble is,labels are shorthand and people are complex individuals so the two will never sit comfortabley.Not all 'hippies' believe in 'make love not war' now either,if they ever did.Drugs are taken by people from all walks of life for all sorts of reasons,and peoples beliefs change with circumstance and time.It'd make more sense for people to say 'this is what I believe and how I choose to live' rather than trying to explain all that to someone by using a label that other people have their own set ideas about anyway..that way confusion reigns ;)

For example ,check out all the threads/posts on here about how *us hippies* are supposed to be/think/live and how upset people get when *we* dont live up to those (false) expectations..

medusa
15-04--2009, 04:48 PM
From Wiki :D

Flower child or Flower Children originated as a synonym for hippie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie), especially the idealistic young people who gathered in San Francisco (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco) and environs during the 1967 Summer of Love (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_of_Love). It was the custom of "flower children" to wear and distribute flowers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower) or floral-themed decorations to symbolize altruistic ideals of universal brotherhood, peace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace) and love (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love). The mass media picked up on the term and used it to refer in a broad sense to any hippie.Given that the media then turned on 'hippies' and made a fuss about the drugs/Leary stuff I suppose I can see why people would feel the need to draw a distinction..but it seems odd to join in the 'hippies bad' thing by objecting to being called one.

KeithBC
15-04--2009, 04:54 PM
The way I understand it is that "hippie" is a broad term that includes many sub-classes within it. For example, politicos, freaks, flower children.

So, I would say that flower children are hippies, but not all hippies are flower children.

As for how you were raised, how can I possibly answer that? :hippy:

LalaGirl
15-04--2009, 09:50 PM
:wag: sorry love.. i meant no offense i was just using my mama's descriptions .. excuse me, i did not mean it like it sounded.. ikes.. :o

In that case Lala,your family are nuts :D

Youre American though right,and this was years ago so maybe in your parents day and area there was some sort of clear divide within the hippy/alternative movement? There isnt now though..the term 'hippy' is pretty meaningless and has nothing to do with drug choices :)

:pp lol. .we are a bunch of nutty nuts.. i whole heartily agree..

and ya, it was years ago, so maybe there was more of a dividing line then. my parents did no drugs , but my auntie and uncle did smoke n grow herb. hmm im gonna bring this up later when i talk to my ma...:)

i hate labels anywhooo, that is a huge problem in America , trying to fit folks that are triangle shape in a round hole... never works...

Lateralus22
15-04--2009, 10:01 PM

That's one definition, and a very narrow one at that... In reality, hippies are a diverse group of people with no single defining set of characteristics. The fact that people seem to care about this so much baffles me to be quite frank :S

But for the record, I find the term 'flower children' rather nauseating, and yes, more than a little yoghurt-weavy :hippy3:

Is it not possible that someone could be both a 'flower child' (:vomit:) and a hippy, possessing characteristics from both? :hippy3: :peace:

medusa
15-04--2009, 10:04 PM
Can I be a Weed Child please? :D

Let us know what your ma says Lala :)

Greenthing
15-04--2009, 10:44 PM
All one and the same in my mind, flower power came in the LSD era of the sixties i believe, correct me if i am wrong.
Peace Love and Unity.:hippy:

dark_star
15-04--2009, 11:00 PM
All one and the same in my mind, flower power came in the LSD era of the sixties i believe, correct me if i am wrong.
Peace Love and Unity.:hippy:

That's how I remember it: all one and the same, hippies, flower power, flower children and the Haight-Asbury district of San Francisco, Summer 1967.

LSD had been around a few years before that, with Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters turning people on to acid from the days of the Magic Bus Trip in 1964.

Greenthing
15-04--2009, 11:07 PM
Just about everone with long hair was classed as a hippy.:hippy:

dark_star
15-04--2009, 11:24 PM
Just about everone with long hair was classed as a hippy.:hippy:

Yep... well guys were anyhow! ;)

And if your hair over the collar of your shirt, some people classed that as "having long hair."

Greenthing
16-04--2009, 08:24 AM
the person who told me off thought of pikeys as nere do well thieves, blaggers and scum, ?
They also thought that about the old style Romany Gypsies and blamed them for alsorts of stuff:insane:.

Colin M
16-04--2009, 04:20 PM
labels........

LalaGirl
17-04--2009, 04:06 AM
That's one definition, and a very narrow one at that... In reality, hippies are a diverse group of people with no single defining set of characteristics. The fact that people seem to care about this so much baffles me to be quite frank :S

But for the record, I find the term 'flower children' rather nauseating, and yes, more than a little yoghurt-weavy :hippy3:

Is it not possible that someone could be both a 'flower child' (:vomit:) and a hippy, possessing characteristics from both? :hippy3: :peace:

pinching your cheeks. .. :) .. um well no where did i say ALL hippies.

i think that w my kc mo slang does not translate sometimes. but no, not all hippies do drugs , im saying that this is what my mother did not want to be associated w .

she said she would see the news reals of hippies doing drugs and this was not what her and her friends had been about. they truly wanted to save Mother Earth and keep the community safe.

.. my mom and dad say that much like everything else in life times change people change and hippie no longer was thought of as so derogatory but back then it bothered her .,

Can I be a Weed Child please? :D

Let us know what your ma says Lala :)

weed child.. i like hempmama that is one of my other screen names kcmohempmama

princesstigermouse
17-04--2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyjxb9m5edI

:mrgreen:

Shaman
17-04--2009, 12:28 PM
What about the 'freak' label? Like in the fab furry freak bros ?

Don't hear the term flower children much these days - not really since the 60's.

gandalf's fists
17-04--2009, 12:47 PM
I reckon it'd make a really lame celebrity deathmatch

princesstigermouse
17-04--2009, 12:50 PM
I reckon it'd make a really lame celebrity deathmatch

PMSL!

phoenix_bunny
17-04--2009, 04:28 PM
Lala, as someone else raised in the States. I was taught the same thing. Flower children were different to Hippies ... Obviously such things didn't transfer across the pond (including how to spell Hippie) :hippy:

I'd reckon it would stem from the 60's themselves, and just labels for the different social outcasts of the days to differentiate themselves. But yes, that was what I was taught as well, Hippies 'tuned in, turned on, and dropped out' and Flower Children 'made love not war' stuck flowers into gun barrells, etc.

But like so many have said, it's all just labels. ;)