PDA

View Full Version : Dew claws

wiggy
30-03--2006, 11:44 AM
I think thats what they are called - I thought that dogs and cats both have them. They arent with the nails on their front feet but they are up a little bit - if that makes sense.

Are all breeds of dogs ment to have them? Milo hasnt but he has a bone there - it feels like the claw shape but there isnt a nail. Im seriously not hoping that what im thinking is right.

And Milo's tail was docked when he was a puppy - docked crap, its kind of in the middle!!!!!! Poor boy

Sarah
30-03--2006, 12:51 PM
The dew claws are sometimes removed.. it may be that he had them removed when his tail was docked :(

wiggy
30-03--2006, 12:56 PM
Thats what im thinking, there is a bone thing there but no nail!!!! Its really wierd, i would love to find the person who did it and remove their bloody nails.

Aunty Al
30-03--2006, 03:46 PM
I bet Milo's really happy now he's got you to look after him! Both my dogs have theri full tails - Pippin's not too sure what to do with his yet but he's trying to carry it curled over his back like Sam's does, he just doesn't really seem to have the co-ordination!

Exedous
30-03--2006, 04:11 PM
Spike has his Dew claws, and his full tail, his bollox, and a mean little bark...oh and a huge willy ;) ..:whistle:

:patch:

wiggy
31-03--2006, 10:23 PM
Thats shite because now I know but dont under what shit he has been though, he has been 'chopped' because he shagged EVERYTHING and was way to controlling, we coulnt get what he wanted (so to speak) so its fairer to get him snipped, but his claws done thas just wrong xxx

stormypagan
01-04--2006, 04:28 PM
My Jack Russel has his full tail and it is beautiful, I cant imagine him without it. When he runs he looks like basil brush hehehe!!

I know some dogs have extra toes (dew claws) that are removed if they are too prominent and could be ripped off easily, especially if they are working dogs, as far as I know. And I know they are often removed, when spaying or neutering!! But none of my dogs have ever had too..

uma
02-04--2006, 03:03 PM
It isn't always an unnecessary procedure-done just for the hell of it. for some dogs, as was mentioned briefly above, like working dogs and greyhounds, who spend a lot of time out in the open running-it can be terriably painful if their dew claw gets caught and half pulled off. This happened to Thea, my lurcher a number of times when she was younger-and believe me there is a LOT of blood! She still has her dew claws however, as she soon seemed to learn not to run in a certain way. But the point is-sometimes is a good thing to remove them and not a bad thing....
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

spacehopper
03-04--2006, 12:36 PM
I know some dogs have extra toes (dew claws) that are removed if they are too prominent and could be ripped off easily...
A friend of mines dog had to have his dew claws removed because he managed to almost rip one off. The other one was removed as a precaution.

sensamelia
05-06--2006, 08:24 PM
It isn't always an unnecessary procedure-done just for the hell of it. for some dogs, as was mentioned briefly above, like working dogs and greyhounds, who spend a lot of time out in the open running-it can be terriably painful if their dew claw gets caught and half pulled off. This happened to Thea, my lurcher a number of times when she was younger-and believe me there is a LOT of blood! She still has her dew claws however, as she soon seemed to learn not to run in a certain way. But the point is-sometimes is a good thing to remove them and not a bad thing....
In Dharma,
Uma
x x xi agree my greyhound has his dew claws but regularly has to have them cut which is an ordeal in its self

Ripple
06-06--2006, 12:58 AM
Ollie my whippet still has her dew claws(or whats left of them!) I think on some dogs they should definately be removed early, it would save a lot of pain..Once Ollie came back to me with one dew claws pointing completely the wrong way and blood all down her leg! The vet pulled the nail off but its grown back since and still catches on things.

starpoi
06-06--2006, 12:28 PM
I asked my dad about this (he's a vet)
he said....
Dew claws end up causing a lot of problems for dogs, they get caught on stuff, get knocked or ripped and can cause them a lot of pain and suffering for the animal. For this reason most dogs have their rear dew claws removed.
As cruel as it sounds, its normally a lot better for the dog in the long run

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/starpoi/dogs-001.jpg

These guys (our family dogs, that I miss so much because they live with my folks) have lived on a farm up until a couple of years ago when my folks retired. They spent most of their time running about in the undergrowth, down badger and fox holes, doing what terriers do. They were always getting cuts and scrapes and I am sure that if they had their dew claws on the their back legs they would have caused them a lot of trouble