PDA

View Full Version : Recipes

Whirler
22-09--2005, 10:10 PM
Seeing as every other veg*n forum I've been to have zillions of threads asking for recipes I figured it would make sense to have a static one, our very own UK Hippy cookbook!

For a quickie then (oo-er!) I'll start with a very basic spinach & mozzarella salad I made this evening:
Disclaimer: I never use measurements just my judgement!

Ingredients
Fresh Spinach
Mozzarella
Tomatoes (vine work best)
Pine kernals
Pesto
Garlic
Fresh Basil
Olive Oil
Parmesan
Pine Kernals

What to do!
Make the pesto by crushing up the garlic with a pestle & mortar, add the basil and oil, keep pounding until a paste forms then add cheese and pine kernals, pound some more. That's basically it. I also add a splash of lemon juice and black pepper, plus more olive oil!
Chuck the spinach on a plate, slice the tomatoes and arrange in a stylish fashion (!) on top of the spinach, then add slices of mozzarella and sprinkle with pine kernals. Drizzle with the pesto (or pour in my case!) et voila!

The pesto can be made in a blender but actually, there's something really nice about making it the ole' fashioned way, Basil is such a gorgeous smelling herb. It's also really nice using home-made pesto to chuck in with some pasta......

For those vegans out there - does vegan mozzarella taste as good as I've heard it does?

TREASON
27-09--2005, 04:11 PM
VEGAN MARS BARS COURTISY OF VEGGIES WEBSITE.
http://www.veggies.org.uk/

NOUGAT

2 Cup of Soya Milk
9 oz. Soya Marg.
24 oz. Sugar
2 tblsp. Vanilla Essence
* 12 oz dried soya milk - soya flour works as a substitute
* Add 2 tbsp malt extractPut the milk, marge and sugar into a thick saucepan and heat, without stirring, on a low heat until it bubbles all over and triples in size.
Keep at this heat for 2 min (if you have a sugar thermometer, it should be 235 F./112.8 C.)
Cool.
Add the vanilla essence, malt extract and dried soya milk (or soya flour) and beat till creamy.
Pour into baking trays roughly the size of 48 mars bars, greased and lined with greaseproof paper, and freeze for an hour.
(*You could pour and freeze a base layer of chocolate first, see below).
TOFFEE

12 oz. Sugar
12 oz. Soya Marge
* 125ml soya cream. Concentrated soya milk (Plamil) will work instead.
3 tbsp Golden SyrupPut everything in a thick bottomed saucepan and heat on a low heat till it bubbles all over and triples in size
Keep at this temperature for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Pour the toffee over the nougat and freeze for another hour.
Cut into mars bar size pieces and re-freeze until the toffee is solid (this can take a couple of days.)
CHOCOLATE

Melt 1200g of vegan chocolate in a microwave if you have one (3 minutes full power per 100g) or place into a bowl above a saucepan of boiling water till melted.
Coat the bars with chocolate and place onto a greased tray. Re-freeze.

The Marathon Variation (Thermopylae Bars):

Replace vanilla essence with 340g jar of crunchy peanut butter (without the jar) & 20g chopped, un-salted peanuts

Claerie
27-09--2005, 11:52 PM
It's-SOOOO-simple...but-OHHHHH-so-good:)

serves-one...ish:D

Ingredients...my-fave-combination-anyways;)

250g-beansprouts
1/2-a-courgette
3-to-4-spring-onions
handful-of-mushrooms
handfull-of-baby-tomatos
3rd-of-red/yellow-or-orange-pepper
sesame-oil
teaspoon-of-ginger-(chopped...or-the-"lazy"-stuff)
many-splashes-of-soy-sauce
tomato-paste
clove-of-garlic-(chopped...or-the-"lazy"-stuff)
chilli-to-taste...

Prep

dice-mushrooms....halve-tomoatos....cut-the-peppers,-corgettes-and-onions-into-strips.

Cooking

oil-first...into-a-wok/frying-pan....on-a-high-heat

then-add-mushrooms,-peppers-and-onions...fry-high-for-a-couple-of-mins...

then-add-the-rest-of-the-stuff-and-make-sure-you-don't-fry-for-too-long...
don't-want-it-all-going-soft-like-your-grandma-cooks-veg:eek:

serve-with-some-sesame-and-linseeds-sprinkled-on-top-for-maximum-prettiness:D

This-gives-you-2-to-3-portions-of-your-veg-for-the-day....omega-oils-(the-linseeds)...
and-is-very-low-calorie-as-you-use-beansprouts-instead-of-noodles-as-a-base;)

I-sometimes-dice-a-quarter-pack-of-tofu-into-it-too...yummy:D

Whirler
28-09--2005, 11:43 AM
I'm hungry :piggy::piggy:

Whirler
30-09--2005, 08:45 PM
Cheap ideas for students (and doley scum :harhar: )

Pasta's always good - use olive oil and garlic as a base then whatever you like on top works, personally I love grated corgette lightly cooked in garlic n oil with parmesan.

Soup - always good especially as vitamins in veg leek out when cooked in water so with soup you've got the vits. in the liquid. I like root veg soup e.g. potatoes, carrots, swede, turnip, parsnips etc or brocoli and blue cheese (if you can afford the cheese!) cook up onion, add chopped brocoli, add stock, simmer, liquidise, add cheese. Yum! God there are sooooo many soup options. Small pasta shapes are nice in some soup too as well as rice.......nutritious!

Will post more soon......

Dancing
01-10--2005, 01:41 AM
Replying to your Q: “For those vegans out there - does vegan mozzarella taste as good as I've heard it does?” –

I like mozzarella Scheese, but know some folks who do not!
(Other flavours of Scheese ages ago I tried seemed to have an aftertaste I was not keen on, but I tried Cheshire the other day and it seemed fine.)

Cheezly (Cheddar flavour)is also OK, better than Scheese, but as it’s so long since I ate dairy, can’t compare with that – prob. best not to....It’s quite easy to give up something however “nice” it tastes, if ethically you hate the idea of eating it.

The new Cheezly melting one (does not fall off your Pizza!) is very full of fat - if you read the ingreds, you’ll see.

Just got the free “A Vegan Guide to Bristol 2005”, from Yaoh (you pay postage on an s.a.e. possibly 68p)
www.yaoh.co.uk

send to -

Yaoh
P O Box 333
Bristol
BS99 1NF

It is brilliant, funny and so heartening. Covers general bits as well as Bristol.
I am tempted to go to their vegan fayre on 29.10.05. Anyone else up for it?
Sorry to have gone off track...!

PS Gonna do it again now ! - Have only just registered and it asked Did I want people to send my emails? - I said no. But is this is the same offer as on Beautiful days website where you can have a personal message that you collect without having to reveal your own email address, if so (and it did not seem so) then I _might_ want to change my mind...

Dancing

Claerie
02-10--2005, 06:00 PM
I stole this recipe off another website...but tis good, so I'll share it with you.

Vegan Yorkshire Pudding

4oz Self Raising Flour
Pinch of Salt
1 tsp Lemon Juice (I used it out of a bottle not fresh)
1/4 pt Plain Soya Yoghurt
1/4 pt Unsweetened Soya Milk Sieved the flour and whisked in the lemon juice, yoghurt and milk, added a drop of extra soya milk to make the mix slightly runny and baked it in a muffin tray, which made about 7 Yorkshires.

Cruelty free Sunday lunches:D

showmet
02-10--2005, 09:16 PM
Ingredients:

Bread.

Preparation:

Place bread lightly into toaster, turn on.

Serve with topping of choice. I will be discussing possible toppings in later installments.

:sleep:

Atomik
03-10--2005, 05:37 PM
To compliment Showmet's 'slightly charred bread' recipe!

You will need:

2/3 Eggs (free range or else!)
1 Rep Pepper
1 Onion
Lots of Garlic!
1 Red Chilli
1 Can of Tomatoes
1 Tsp Cumin
Ground Black Pepper to Taste

Chop the onion, garlic and chilli and fry in olive oil, adding the cumin, black pepper and red pepper after a few minutes. Once the red pepper has cooked slightly, add the can of tomatoes. Continue to cook over a low heat, reducing down until the moisture has all but gone and you're left with a thick paste. Beat the eggs and add to the mix, cooking until you have the consistency of scrambled eggs. Serve on showmet's buttered toast, season to taste and tuck in!

Flibbertigibbet
03-10--2005, 09:07 PM
I like mozzarella Scheese, but know some folks who do not!
(Other flavours of Scheese ages ago I tried seemed to have an aftertaste I was not keen on, but I tried Cheshire the other day and it seemed fine.)
Copied and pasted as message too big for my weeney brain

Scheese I think is the most awful tasting/textured thing ever to have entered my mouth .....how ever the cheezly stuff is much more palatable especially the melting variety

Victoria
05-10--2005, 10:40 AM
Ingredients:

Bread.

Preparation:

Place bread lightly into toaster, turn on.

Serve with topping of choice. I will be discussing possible toppings in later installments.

:sleep:Is this you Flib in male form?? :drunk: :p

im hungry and you've all given me food for thought.

Sarah
05-10--2005, 03:30 PM
OK I made this for my lunch and am liking not feeling all sleepy like I usually do in the afternoons after me usual sandwich :D ...So therefore I am calling it an energy boosting salad and its creation was inspired by EarthWhirlers advice on this post (http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=296&postcount=22)

Ingredients

hand full of mixed sprouts such as Chick Pea, Aduki, Lentils etc.
hand full of Alfalfa sprouts
tablespoon of pine kernels
tablespoon of pumpkin seeds
tablespoon of peanuts
2 tablespoons of yoghurt and minty salad dressing
( I cheated and got this from somerfield :o but its rather lush)
To make this put a few tablespoons of yoghurt (organic,vegan, goats milk etc) in a jam jar with a lid, add a little splash of white wine vinegar (or whatever you use for vinegar), a little dab of mustard, salt and pepper and some freshly chopped mint,add a mashed up clove of garlic, a little splash of lemon juice..put the lid of the jar on and give it all a good shake and use straight away :D

put all the ingredients on a big plate drizzle with ya dressing and serve with some bread and butter mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Flibbertigibbet
08-10--2005, 06:38 PM
250g (9oz) split red lentils
1 1/2 tsp ground roasted cumin seed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
1 medium onion
1 stock cube for sauteeing onion, or extra oil if preferred
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaf
To finish the dish:
1 tsp sunflower oil, or other flavourless oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp whole cumin seed 1. Wash the lentils well, then drain and place in a pan with the ground cumin, turmeric, grated ginger and about 1 1/4 litres (40fl oz, 5 cups) water.
2. Stir, bring to the boil, then cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes. Cover and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, for at least 1/2 hour more. The longer the better - turn the heat right down and cook it for 3 hours if you can.
3. Meanwhile, slice the onion into thin half-moons and brown with stock cube, or use oil if you prefer. Set aside.
4. When the lentils are done, stir in the onions and salt to taste. Add the chopped coriander (cilantro) and stir.
5. Heat the oil in a pan and add the garlic. Cook for a minute, stirring, until browned, then add the cumin seed and cook for a few seconds longer. Pour the oil and spices into the dhal, then put on the lid to trap the aromas. Mix well before serving.

Nicked this off the web but is one I have been using for ages although I omitt the coriander as I really dislike the taste :mrgreen: I love Tarka dhal

random_spontaneosity
15-10--2005, 05:24 PM
spinach french bread pizza thing

i adapted this from a recipie in my student grub book but i cant remember the measurements because i can never be bothered to find the page, so i guesstimate....

ingredients
french bread
cheese, cheddar is good
spinach
beated egg
cream
onion
garlic butter

ok... um... cook the spinach.
cut the bread into rounds or into three then in half longways (which is better) lightly toast it under the grill then spread the garlic butter on it.
mix the spinach with the onion and the egg and cream. bsaically you dont want there to be too much cream or it to be too runny coz it has to cook.

spread this mess onto the bread and top with the cheese

then grill until the cheese is all brown and nice

you can also do this with mushrooms, thats quite nice, but it doesnt cook as well, so have to be careful. and i guess any old thing added in wont hurt...

Dandy
05-11--2005, 09:59 PM
Jacket Chips:

2 Big Baking Potatos
Vegetable Oil
Paprika
Chilli Powder

Cheese Burger:

13oz beans, kidney beans a good (rinsed and drained).
1 small Onion, finally chopped
3 1/2oz Cheddar Cheese (grated)
3 1/2oz Bread Crumbs
1 egg
Plain flower (for dusting)
vegetable oil

salt and pepper

Heat over to 220degrees, Gas Mark 7
Scrub potatos and chop into small wedges, then place into a roasting tin. Drizzle oil, sprinkle paprika and chilli powder over evenly and roast in oven for 30mins till golden.
Meanwhile, make the burgers!
Put the beans into a bowl and mush them up real good and then add onions, cheese, bread crumbs and eggs. Mix into smooth paste!
Put some flour on your hands and shape the paste into 4 burgers. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers gently for 10mins or till their nice and crispy golden!Really nice with some salad and mayo i think.. had it tonight.. apsolutely yum!
Takes about 40mins in total really!

Dapablo
05-11--2005, 10:15 PM
Thats it really.

Oh and don't forget the cheese if your not vegan.

Kids love it. :)

Whirler
06-11--2005, 12:52 PM
Thats it really.

Oh and don't forget the cheese if your not vegan.

Kids love it. :)Pesto usually has parmesan in so don't go serving it to vegans Dap! :D

Atomik
06-11--2005, 12:56 PM
And parmesan usually has animal rennet in, so don't go feeding pesto to veggies either! :cry:

Dapablo
06-11--2005, 04:19 PM
Never mind, tough luck. :)

Principles hey, get in the way of life sometimes.

Exedous
03-12--2005, 03:09 AM
Ingredients:
-----------------------------------------------------
A generous (Glug) of Olive Oil
2-(400g)Tins:-Tomatoes
2-(400g)Tins:- Kidney Beans (Dry if you prefer)
2 Chillies (1 Red & 1 Green roughly chopped)
Soya Mince or Tofu
3 Carrots (diced)
1/2 Pint cold water
Tin Sweetcorn
Tomato Puree/Paste (1 Tsp)
250 Grm Soya Mince or Tofu
Cayenne Pepper (pinch)
Chilli Powder (pinch)
Juice of 3 Limes

Instructions:
-----------------------------------------------------
In a deep pot, pour in a generous glug of Olive Oil, and slowly fry the diced carrot, put in the 2 tins of tomatoes and the tins of Kindney beans. Pour in the Soya mince or Tofu and the water and fold in the ingredients and let them boil. Stir in the tomato paste, chilli and cayenne pepper and lime juice. Stir occasionally till cooked.

Serve in deep bowl, with rice or cous cous and VEGAN youghurt, top with corriander and parsley. Enjoy!!!

Ghost.

Chegzy
05-12--2005, 05:14 PM
VEGAN MARS BARS COURTISY OF VEGGIES WEBSITE.
http://www.veggies.org.uk/

NOUGAT

2 Cup of Soya Milk
9 oz. Soya Marg.
24 oz. Sugar
2 tblsp. Vanilla Essence
* 12 oz dried soya milk - soya flour works as a substitute
* Add 2 tbsp malt extractPut the milk, marge and sugar into a thick saucepan and heat, without stirring, on a low heat until it bubbles all over and triples in size.
Keep at this heat for 2 min (if you have a sugar thermometer, it should be 235 F./112.8 C.)
Cool.
Add the vanilla essence, malt extract and dried soya milk (or soya flour) and beat till creamy.
Pour into baking trays roughly the size of 48 mars bars, greased and lined with greaseproof paper, and freeze for an hour.
(*You could pour and freeze a base layer of chocolate first, see below).
TOFFEE

12 oz. Sugar
12 oz. Soya Marge
* 125ml soya cream. Concentrated soya milk (Plamil) will work instead.
3 tbsp Golden SyrupPut everything in a thick bottomed saucepan and heat on a low heat till it bubbles all over and triples in size
Keep at this temperature for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Pour the toffee over the nougat and freeze for another hour.
Cut into mars bar size pieces and re-freeze until the toffee is solid (this can take a couple of days.)
CHOCOLATE

Melt 1200g of vegan chocolate in a microwave if you have one (3 minutes full power per 100g) or place into a bowl above a saucepan of boiling water till melted.
Coat the bars with chocolate and place onto a greased tray. Re-freeze.

The Marathon Variation (Thermopylae Bars):

Replace vanilla essence with 340g jar of crunchy peanut butter (without the jar) & 20g chopped, un-salted peanuts

WOW!!!!!:p

stormypagan
06-12--2005, 04:04 PM
It's Stonesy's Birthday tomorrow and I am in the middle of baking a Vegan chocolate cake (except the aga is very hot and it tends to over do the top if I am not careful!!) Here's the recipe... 'tis delicious as I made the same one for my son's birthday with thick fudge icing mmmmmmm!! and so easy to make!! I am gunna cut and paste it off this link ....

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/coolplanet/kidsweb/recipes/veganfudge.htm
Vegan fudge cake

Ingredients:
For the cake:
200g (8oz) organic self raising flour
150g (6oz) organic caster sugar
25g (1oz) Fair Trade cocoa
1tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1tsp natural vanilla essence
1/4 tsp (a few drops!) white wine vinegar
100ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil
225ml (9 fl oz) water

For the fudge icing:
150g (6 oz) icing sugar
40g (1 1/2 oz) vegan margarine
100g (1 1/4 oz) Fair Trade dark chocolate
40ml soya milk

Method
Put the self-raising flour, soya flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa in a bowl and mix well. Pour over vegetable oil, vanilla essence and vinegar, and then the water. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or electric whisk. Pour the mixture into a shallow oblong tin (7"x11"), or two round sandwich tins, and cook for about 25 minutes at 200C/400F until cooked. When the cake has cooled, make the icing. Put all the icing ingredients in a pan and slowly bring them to the boil, stirring. Boil for one minute, then pour it into a bowl. Beat the icing while it is cooling so that lumpy crystals don't form. You can add vanilla essence at this point if you like. Then spread it over the top of your cake and leave it to set.

random_spontaneosity
10-12--2005, 10:29 PM
....chocolate.....cake.................. ..................

Atomik
11-12--2005, 10:56 AM
....chocolate.....cake..........
http://www.oldstylecakes.com/product_images/%7B9DE20D57-D0BC-4548-95A7-791FDF23345D%7D_Raspberry%20Fudge.jpg

random_spontaneosity
11-12--2005, 11:27 PM
that looks niiiiice.

Exedous
08-01--2006, 04:16 PM
1 Bananna
2 Sweet Potatoes
Curry Powder Mix...mild is best.
Mixed Stir Fry Veg..{Your Choice}
Tofu {Marinated works best, agan its your choice}
Creamed Cocunut Block
Veg Oil
You will need a wok and a deep fat frying pan

(1)Prep!
Heat the oil in both the wok, and the deep fat fryer these will need to be hot, before you start cooking. Take the bananna and mash to a pulp, cut the sweet potatoes into cubes, and par boil, till soft (ish) grate the cocunut and prepare any of the mixed veg. Cut the Tofu into cubes, and add to the hot fat, {in the fryer}....fry till crispy. Add the mashed Bananna to the wok, and stir into the oil, this will flavour the oil, and gives a wonderfull taste, add the curry powder/paste and continue to stir. Add the mixed veg, turn down the heat, so the wok can simmer, stir occasionally, so the ingerdiments do not stick. Drain the sweet pot's and add to the wok, by now the Tofu should be ready, remove from the hot fryer, and pat dry, then add to the wok and stir in......add the grated cocunut, by sprinkiling it over, fold in the ingreedyments.

(2)Serve!
Serve in a deep bowl with Cous Cous and Vegan Yoghurt. Garnish with corriander Leaves.

Bon Appitite.

Ghost

Atomik
11-01--2006, 04:07 PM
I've created a recipes sub-forum (http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41), so I'm closing this thread. Please post any recipes in the new sub forum. If you use this post-icon for vegan recipes, it should keep things nice and clear http://www.ukhippy.com/forums/images/icons/icon2.gif

:D