PDA

View Full Version : World News Bird flu found in dead Scottish swan

Starling
05-04--2006, 10:27 PM
:eek: Uh oh..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4881526.stm

Was only a matter of time i guess. I'm really curious about the outcome of all this.

Paul
05-04--2006, 11:23 PM
I'm wondering if it's all a big scam to sell medical stuff ... Or just a complete balls up like the millenium bug was.

Time will tell I guess.

scarlett
06-04--2006, 07:34 AM
:harhar: do we have to quarrantine exedous now ?:harhar:

crap muppet
06-04--2006, 09:19 AM
Hmmmm. Let the fun and games begin.

Have all our migratory bird come back yet or are things going to get more interesting over the next month or two? (I have no knowledge whatsoever in this area)

littlesausage
06-04--2006, 10:32 AM
I'm a bit scared .. I read an article that had some pretty scary statistics on it too! :(

sensamelia
06-04--2006, 10:52 AM
i feel like this is very similar to the b.s.e. scare when they slaughtered all our cattle and then preceeded to tell us about cjd the human strain people were scared to death
granted there have been deaths from cjd but nothing on the scale the government told us there would be
any death is horrendous for the families but if you take this in proportion of were its been and how far its spread then lok at total populations against total deaths it is miniscule

Starling
06-04--2006, 11:21 AM
i feel like this is very similar to the b.s.e. scare when they slaughtered all our cattle and then preceeded to tell us about cjd the human strain people were scared to death
granted there have been deaths from cjd but nothing on the scale the government told us there would be
any death is horrendous for the families but if you take this in proportion of were its been and how far its spread then lok at total populations against total deaths it is miniscule

Yeh, but just because they aren't talking about BSE now, it doesn't mean the threat isn't there anymore. Supposedly it can lie dormant for years, so who knows what could happen in the future.

You're right that bird flu hasn't caused a lot of deaths, but that's because it hasn't became a transferable virus between humans. There's a definite possibility that could happen, and that's where the worry lies. The death toll would dramatically increase, creating an epidemic.

scarlett
06-04--2006, 11:25 AM
i just hope the govt. & various bods involved are better equipped to mange this, than they were during the foot and mouth crisis.The mistakes they made during that mess, made everything 100 times worse.

Paul
06-04--2006, 01:24 PM
Not forgetting the greedy farmers who volunteered healthy livestock in return for compensation :rolleyes:

Starling
06-04--2006, 04:35 PM
It's just been confirmed... it's the H5N1 strain.

wiggy
06-04--2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah I heard it on the news that it is - shit is all we can say

Rook
06-04--2006, 04:51 PM
I suspect the Govt will try to make themselves look good all action and so on. Whats the fuss. Dont mess with dead birds = dont catch it. Shame for the birds though. I hope the Govt reaction is not to ban everything except battery farming it could take the animal rights thing back years. Or let folk shoot anythin with feathers in the name of "public safety".

crap muppet
06-04--2006, 04:52 PM
Let the culling begin :rolleyes:

I've already heard reports of idiots going round and tearing down rare birds nests and all sorts. Bloody hysterical wankers - it reminds me of the time a pediatrician got mobbed by a bunch of idiots becuase they thought he was a kiddie fiddler!!! :eek:

uma
07-04--2006, 08:18 AM
This isn't just bad for humans.....Its a terriable thing for the birds too. They have a huge 'danger' area of which my home town rests. My home town Montrose has a huge basin filled with many rare birds and is rather famous in bird lovers eyes. if bird flu comes this way many species may end up extinct...
Also it posses a threat to other animals too, sure its fine for us not to eat bird poo or be that close to birds but what about pigs, dogs and horses(who are most likely to catch it apparently)? How do you stop a horse from grazing? This is worrying for me as I have 4 horses, all within this 'at risk' zone..... So I wish the news would stop going on about the losses to the poutlry market as everyone stops eating dea bird and actually concentrateds at other beings' lives that are at stake!
In Dharma,
uma
x x x

Spiral
07-04--2006, 10:01 AM
There's a lady in Sussex who runs a place called Hen Heaven which is a sanctuary for ex battery hens. She has hundreds of them and I dread to think what will happen if bird flu spreads to were she is. I don't think she has the facilities to keep them inside.

Starling
07-04--2006, 11:04 AM
There's a lady in Sussex who runs a place called Hen Heaven which is a sanctuary for ex battery hens. She has hundreds of them and I dread to think what will happen if bird flu spreads to were she is. I don't think she has the facilities to keep them inside.

Was she on tv this morning? I think it was her. Yeh, she was saying she doesn't want to keep them indoors cos it's cruel. :)

_chris_
07-04--2006, 11:21 AM
Shit, i just realized how close it is to bass rock...

that could be awful :eek:

But i dont reckon that it'll cause any strife to humans, people need to chill a little about that

scarlett
07-04--2006, 11:34 AM
we just have to hope that common sense prevails...always wash your hands after touching animals that are grazing/living outside and disinfect your boots if you've been strolling through the fields....is the same ritual i went through when foot and mouth hit down here.
have had to explain to my very worried 10 year old that we cannot catch it by just walking past birds...also that the folks who have died from it were living in poorer countries..in conditions that we would consider medieval.....lots of people living side by side with their animals.

Paul
07-04--2006, 12:37 PM
Oh no!!! :eek:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/barney_dk/birdflu.jpg

Exedous
07-04--2006, 12:55 PM
Aye...thats right, blame the scots....:harhar:

:harhar: do we have to quarantine exedous now ?:harhar:

Oh no...that means im definatley not coming to the Easter gathering....

I think its {Bird flu} a load of rubbish myself, like foot and mouth was...aye aye, time will tell.

:patch:

Perthite
07-04--2006, 01:14 PM
bird flu hasn't made the cross to a human virus yet so the only people at risk are those coming into contact with dead animals (farmers and shooters)
i don't think other animals are at risk from eating bird droppings currently because H5N1 isn't a digestive virus and hasn't jumped species yet. I also think H5N1 only infects foul (i may have fabricated this however).

uma
07-04--2006, 01:51 PM
bird flu hasn't made the cross to a human virus yet so the only people at risk are those coming into contact with dead animals (farmers and shooters)
i don't think other animals are at risk from eating bird droppings currently because H5N1 isn't a digestive virus and hasn't jumped species yet. I also think H5N1 only infects foul (i may have fabricated this however).

I suggest you do some research on this. It HAS jumped species thats why people have died from it.... No you can't get it from person to person yet but it is a possibility. On all the major information sites, and also on many GP's leaflets about Bird Flu it explicitly states that the animals most susceptable to it are horses, pigs, seals and whales. You can pick up the virus from bird droppings.....
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

Coyote
07-04--2006, 02:04 PM
Google to words Tamiflu, Gilead and Rumsfeld for a spot of enlightenment.....

matthew
07-04--2006, 03:06 PM
Google to words Tamiflu, Gilead and Rumsfeld for a spot of enlightenment.....

I did a while back...

The conspiracy begins :sleep: ... i read he had some shares in that company or something... hehehe .

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=rumsfeld+tamiflu&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Rumsfeld served as Gilead (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=GILD) (Research (http://cnnfn.investor.reuters.com/Reports.aspx?ticker=GILD))'s chairman from 1997 until he joined the Bush administration in 2001, and he still holds a Gilead stake valued at between $5 million and $25 million, according to federal financial disclosures filed by Rumsfeld.

I don't think the US goverment or Mr Rumsfeld orchestrated any of this :whistle: .... just a coincidence.

The only snippet not already given about this is that i think any 'free range' chickens/eggs .. will STILL be deemed so even if they are put inside.. [I also might be fabricating this piece of info-don't quote me]

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/disease/ai/policy/index.htm#3

littlesausage
07-04--2006, 03:18 PM
Ok I guess the way you gotta think about it is that it is possible that it could mutate but then theres also the thing that people have died in other countries and it didn't turn into an epidemic, not yet anyway and it has been around for ages.

Which will hopefully give the government a chance to get their finger out and do something about it

crap muppet
07-04--2006, 04:33 PM
If you don't have sex with chickens (:vomit:) I reckon you will be OK .

Exedous
07-04--2006, 07:12 PM
Hahahahaha...:clap:

:patch:

Perthite
08-04--2006, 11:12 AM
I suggest you do some research on this. It HAS jumped species thats why people have died from it.... No you can't get it from person to person yet but it is a possibility. On all the major information sites, and also on many GP's leaflets about Bird Flu it explicitly states that the animals most susceptable to it are horses, pigs, seals and whales. You can pick up the virus from bird droppings.....
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

allow me to be a little more clear on what i was trying to say, it's not contagious to human as of yet, i would imagine in the majority of cases of bird flu deaths have been from *very* direct contact (ie taking out the innards so you can sell the dead bird anyway)

i'm still skeptical about the bird droppings, virus that tend to live in animals don't tend to survive that great when left on the cold ground... i could be wrong again, i'll go ask my sister!

matthew
08-04--2006, 11:26 AM
Ok I guess the way you gotta think about it is that it is possible that it could mutate but then theres also the thing that people have died in other countries and it didn't turn into an epidemic, not yet anyway and it has been around for ages.

Which will hopefully give the government a chance to get their finger out and do something about it

Go check out the goverment website... why are you so cynical to say ''Which will hopefully give the government a chance to get their finger out and do something about it''

littlesausage
08-04--2006, 11:27 AM
Just had a thought if you work somewhere that regurlaly (is that how you spell?) has eggs delivered that pretty much always have bird poo on them and its near a bird reserve .. should u be worried?

littlesausage
08-04--2006, 11:34 AM
Go check out the goverment website... why are you so cynical to say ''Which will hopefully give the government a chance to get their finger out and do something about it''

Because they've taken so long to sort out supplies if we need it and as far as we know it could be more serious .. it's not cynical it's just observant

_chris_
08-04--2006, 12:00 PM
unless you are actively having sex with chicklens, you aint got much to worry about

Paul
08-04--2006, 12:10 PM
unless you are actively having sex with chicklens, you aint got much to worry about
You hear that Dok? You wanna be careful :whistle:

Coyote
08-04--2006, 07:33 PM

Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuckaaaaaahhhhh

:)

_chris_
09-04--2006, 01:26 PM
shiiit, i didnt read the whole thread, and, um...

shit :eek:

matthew
09-04--2006, 02:13 PM
Because they've taken so long to sort out supplies if we need it and as far as we know it could be more serious .. it's not cynical it's just observant

What more could have been done..given than Tamiflu is not a cure ?.
When should we have been 'ready' to your satisfaction ?.

Goverment rhetoric:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PublicationsAndStatistics/PressReleases/PressReleasesNotices/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4104448&chk=J4vpsy

http://www.dh.gov.uk/AboutUs/MinistersAndDepartmentLeaders/ChiefMedicalOfficer/Features/FeaturesArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4102997&chk=OcYuEL

phil
10-04--2006, 08:59 AM
I live ont canal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm surrounded by the fuckers :eek: :eek: :eek:

littlesausage
10-04--2006, 09:00 AM
What more could have been done..given than Tamiflu is not a cure ?.
When should we have been 'ready' to your satisfaction ?.

Goverment rhetoric:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PublicationsAndStatistics/PressReleases/PressReleasesNotices/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4104448&chk=J4vpsy

http://www.dh.gov.uk/AboutUs/MinistersAndDepartmentLeaders/ChiefMedicalOfficer/Features/FeaturesArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4102997&chk=OcYuEL

its not just mine .. Im frustrated with seeing money being spent on stupid things and then late action taken on things that are important ..

I think our country could have got involved and made the bird culling slightly more humane and hygienic in the countries that have been severely affected ... I mean from everyone elses opinion you cant catch the bloody bug unless you're dissecting chickens and Im sure that our country would have had the finance and the resources to go accross and help rather than sitting here trying to convince the public that theres not a problem.

Its not my satisfaction ... As far as im concerned my satisfaction doesnt count thats the least important thing to me ... im looking ahead and scared what might happen to those around me ... so can you please get off your frigging high horse and stop telling me im on mine?

phil
10-04--2006, 09:19 AM

What about swans and geese!!? I'm just curious mind you! :whistle:

matthew
10-04--2006, 09:40 PM
its not just mine .. Im frustrated with seeing money being spent on stupid things and then late action taken on things that are important ..

I think our country could have got involved and made the bird culling slightly more humane and hygienic in the countries that have been severely affected ...

Oh i see... We have ''got involved''..shockingly it seems the media may have missed 'our' contributions.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/en/

I mean from everyone elses opinion you cant catch the bloody bug unless you're dissecting chickens and Im sure that our country would have had the finance and the resources to go accross and help rather than sitting here trying to convince the public that theres not a problem.

I have read

ASEAN comprises Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/32775/story.htm

They said all member countries 'have pledged contributions' to the ASEAN Animal Health Trust Fund (AAHTF), which would be used to prevent the spread of bird flu and other illnesses affecting animals, such as foot-and-mouth disease.

'An agreement is being developed to ensure that there is a robust framework for accountability, drawdown proposals and proper use and management of the fund for long-term sustainability,' the ministers said in a joint statement at the close of the meeting.

The fund has already raised an initial amount of $2 million, but the ministers are confident that ASEAN would be able to get more, especially for the fight against the deadly H5N1 virus, which has killed at least 62 people in Asia since 2003.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/050930/43/60ddx.html

During the meeting, the ministers also directed an ASEAN anti-bird flu task force to "urgently formulate detailed action plans for implementation and proceed to identify potential sources of funding" for a regional framework against avian influenza.

"The framework covers eight strategic areas over a period of three years from 2006 to 2008 to prevent, control and eradicate the disease," the joint statement said.

In endorsing the global plan to battle avian influenza, the ministers "expressed confidence that with financial and political commitment, the disease can be effectively controlled in the region".

http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=28292

I think we have contributed to the WHO 'Bird flu fund'..
I think we have helped other nations with information and 'skill' and resources.

It might be slightly patronising to go in too heavy handed..''who do we think we are'' ?..

Its not my satisfaction ... As far as im concerned my satisfaction doesnt count thats the least important thing to me ... im looking ahead and scared what might happen to those around me ... so can you please get off your frigging high horse and stop telling me im on mine?

Sorry, i can see how arrogant i may have sounded..i just wished to keep it simple.
I'm off my friggin high horse i assure you:o

littlesausage
13-04--2006, 02:29 PM
:huglove:

matthew
13-04--2006, 07:51 PM

:o :waves:

Exedous
13-04--2006, 08:37 PM
:snub: :harhar: