PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your dog ?

campertess
22-04--2006, 02:18 PM
After reading about Exodous's dog Spike i feel the need to start a new thread.My first (h'ray)

I'm wondering what others feed their dogs ?

I feed my dogs the BARF (bones & appropriate raw foods)diet.
I was advised to "Change my outlook n go as close to nature as poss" when my old rescue dog became immobile.
After much research and worry as to whether or not i could provide my three (very different)doggies a healthy and balanced diet.i took the plunge.
Never will they eat out of a tin again!

The difference in my dogs is unbelievable,their coats are shiney,no runny eyes or itchy skin,no ear infections or mites,no worms or fleas..But the biggest benefit for me is LESS POO to pick up.

Rox lost her excess weight and Ticcy is less hyper.Patch is still the best hippy dog tho,as chilled as they come and personally prefers the wafts of a big fat green one.

Anybody else swear by BARF?

I'm especially curious what Vegans and vegitarians view on this is as it involves ( i really don't want to offend anyone by saying this) handling bones and raw meat.

Love to all

Lunar Seed
22-04--2006, 02:31 PM
Dogfood. :)
It really is her favourite...

seriously though, meat, rice and veg. dry mix.
Has to be rice, 'cos cereals give her a skin condition.

wiggy
22-04--2006, 02:38 PM
Milo eats james wellbeloved kibbles - he has to have them becuase of his scabby skin and his weight

gaz or jazz
22-04--2006, 03:06 PM
does any one have a veggie dog?
idont mean just mix's and buscuits. what do you fed them on/
when i serve my terrie a non meat meal he gives me a very strange look as if to say whats this?

scarlett
22-04--2006, 03:49 PM
my old dog syd used to eat the same as us....he kept going till he was 13/14...so pasta,rice ,veg and home cooked food seemed to work for him.. i used to try and feed him the odd tin of chum...but syd would tip over his bowl in disgust as if to say ''how dare you feed me tinned food'':)

Sarah
23-04--2006, 12:14 PM
We feed our two Doctor Moles Working Dog dry food mix - they both love it - it comes from Mole Valley Farmers and is under 6 for 15kg.

koolaid
23-04--2006, 12:34 PM
We feed our little doggy this stuff

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/index.htm

Its brilliant!!

Is kind of organic, free range dog food....:D

Exedous
23-04--2006, 12:58 PM
Dog Food (http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/ruff.htm)

This is what i feed Spike....he seems to like it, he's been fed on it for over 4 years...

While we're on the subject, its not a good idea to chop and change your dog/cat food, to often, it plays havoc with thier tummys.

:patch:

campertess
24-04--2006, 12:48 AM
I did,on the advise of Rox's Hydrotherapist/Healer and was shocked at what i saw.
She asked me if i would feed myself or my children the same "complete" food everyday?
If i could buy a packet of something in the supermarket that was already prepared and claimed to contain everything i needed for a balanced diet ,would i buy it?
the answer of course was No,i wouldn't.
Because all children and adults differ in their preferences and requirements.
Is it the same with dogs?
I so wish mine could speak and tell me their opinion.

Aunty Al
24-04--2006, 10:10 AM
I feed mine on James Wellbeloved gluten free stuff. Both love it and its the only food I've found that really seems to suit Sam and not lead to an allergic reaction. It also means I'm not handling anything that looks or smells like meat. Giving him our food doesn't seem to work either or maybe I'm just too intolerant of flatulent dogs!

Chegzy
24-04--2006, 10:40 AM
Well i tend to feed Lola what ever im eating. Could be the sad fact that i dont like cooking for one but generally what ever i eat goes in her bowl too, but less veggies etc 'caus too much plays havoc with her.

Ive been told im very wrong for doing this on many occasions as human food is not suitable for dogs but she is a really healthy dog and looks fab.
Her favourite things to eat are raw broccoli and she will maul you if she smells a mango or mango juice, shes a proper health food junkie.

She always has rice or mashed potatoe with soy mince or some other meat substitite in her bowl through the day, basically just so shes got something to munch on. Shes settled into the routine of meal times. Cereal on a morning, what ever me mam gives her at dinner time, what ever i make for tea and then something for supper.

Ive tried these drops you can get off a vegan website to ensure theyre getting all the nutrients they need but havnt bought any in a while and i really know i should.
I just cant bring myself to buy her tins of animals, dry mix is just as bad, they all have charcoal in it which i really cant understand being good for any animals health.

I must sound like a psycho dog owner but thats the way i work and she really is the happiest dog ever, ill know to stop when she starts getting mineral water and eats at the table.

Whirler
24-04--2006, 12:47 PM
I find it quite amusing when people say you shouldn't feed dogs 'human' food. WTF is human food? Surely human food is just natural fruits n veggies n nuts etc. There's certainly a lot of processed human foods that we shouldn't be eating either!!!

onelove
24-04--2006, 01:05 PM
My dogs eat whatever I eat. Organic vegan stuff and also some organic vegan dog biscuits. The only thing they dont like is mushrooms.

If dogs were in the wild, they would just eat whatever they could get so I don't see any problem with it.

Chegzy
24-04--2006, 01:39 PM
aw thanx earhwhirler and onelove

so am not that bad then

Whirler
24-04--2006, 07:03 PM
so am not that bad thenHey, I never said that :whistle: :harhar: :D