PDA

View Full Version : Watching Graphic Videos

Whirler
25-04--2006, 07:46 PM
I've been veggie since I was 14 and had quite a big awareness of animal cruelty and the like as my mum used to be involved with animal aid. Regarding animal cruelty I've only ever looked at pictures and refuse to watch films like the ones linked on other threads, and I won't even look at pictures even more.

Basically I'm curious as to why those of you who are already aware of this kind of stuff will still watch videos. Do you feel you need to keep being reminded that this is happening? Is it your duty to share the suffering? Honestly I don't understand as personally I find it so horrific and upsetting that it doesn't achieve anything for me. So why do you guys do it? And are there others like me who won't watch? If so, why not?

Lychgate
25-04--2006, 10:50 PM
Because it is a reminder, yes. You can say that you are aware and knowledge of what goes on but overtime and that is undeniably true, but the actual impact of what really happens can begin to fade with time. That you say you are so horrified and upset and consquently don't watch such films is evidence in itself.

And it's not like most vegans / vegetarians would hunt down and watch these movies everyday, but an occasional reminder is always a good thing.

s0ck
26-04--2006, 10:28 AM
I've just recently become a vegetarian. graphic videos in other threads made up my mind.

Paul
26-04--2006, 02:44 PM
I think it's human nature to turn a blind eye or forget about what goes on.

I recently had some quite strong cravings for meat. When I see something like "Earthlings" it puts things back into perspective for me ... The cravings soon stopped.

I hate watching anything horrific though. but hearing about the way animals are treated is one thing, when you see it for yourself then you know it isn't exaggerated propaganda that many would have us believe.

wiggy
26-04--2006, 06:41 PM
Good question - personally I dont see the point of them on a website like this purely because most of us know what happens etc.

I have watched one - but there wasnt anything on it then to say it was a nasty one, I dont watch them now - I have no need to.

Whirler
26-04--2006, 06:52 PM
I dont watch them now - I have no need to.This is exactly how I feel. As others have suggested, I don't forget over time. These things just don't disappear from my consciousness, christ, I think about animal exploitation, people exploitation, wars, famine, murder, torture etc etc every day.

but the actual impact of what really happens can begin to fade with time. That you say you are so horrified and upset and consquently don't watch such films is evidence in itself.That doesn't make sense. The fact that I don't watch these films because I know what I'll see will upset me is evidence that the horror has faded from my mind? Surely that's a contradiction? If I'd forgotten just how bad stuff was, surely I'd watch the films because I wouldn't be put off by them!

And it's not like most vegans / vegetarians would hunt down and watch these movies everyday, but an occasional reminder is always a good thing.Why is it always a good thing? This is what I'm trying to understand. If someone's remains a veggie, why do they have to keep reminding themselves how bad it is?

Starling
26-04--2006, 11:24 PM
Good question - personally I dont see the point of them on a website like this purely because most of us know what happens etc.

s0ck didn't, and she's just turned veggie cos of it.... nice one s0ck!! :woohoo: There're loads of omni's on here too. Anyways, you do have options whether to watch it or not. Most of the information and videos i read/watch are from vegetarian messageboards.

Personally, i find that my knowledge increases, and i have more to say to people if i get questioned about my vegetarianism. Also, if i'm going to pass the videos on, it only seems fair that i've watched them too. Not to mention that it helps increase my motivation. Reading and photos don't have the same effects for me. Recently, after watching Earthlings, i decided that what i think about eating animals and animal products aren't just my beliefs or opinions... i actually think that i'm right about it (as well as all the other veg*ns). I think i've given up on other peoples so-called opinions on the subject. They're either just uneducated, ignorant, lacking in will power, or lacking in compassion. That doesn't mean i'm going to impose my views on anyone, but if they start something, i'm going to tell them that i think they're completely wrong, rather than my usual.. "well, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it".

Don't bash me please... :zipped:

Lychgate
27-04--2006, 01:00 AM
That doesn't make sense. The fact that I don't watch these films because I know what I'll see will upset me is evidence that the horror has faded from my mind? Surely that's a contradiction? If I'd forgotten just how bad stuff was, surely I'd watch the films because I wouldn't be put off by them!

You're right, it doesn't. It makes sense in my head but can't find a way of expressing myself accurately so I'll just pass on that.

Why is it always a good thing? This is what I'm trying to understand. If someone's remains a veggie, why do they have to keep reminding themselves how bad it is?

Because it is graphic and explicit evidence that the path you have chosen is correct? Not to turn it into an ego-pandering thing, but watching a video like the Earthlings one is an unwelcome reinforcement that humanity really can be scum.

Perhaps I am just a weirdo.

ecomamma
27-04--2006, 10:36 AM
I just cant handle it uno! ive been offically veggie since i was 9 thats when my parents stopped putting it on my plate, but refused it from the age of 3...at 13 i was involved in animal rights, got left for dead in a ditch & had a criminal record till i was 17 do with animal rights activites....i did watch the channel 4 film & it just reignited my passions....also the Jill fibbs one was shown to me last year & well it just broke my heart & i ended up blubbering & feeling emotionally drainned (not that, thats a bad thing its just i take it to heart)......I have a little one so im really careful to keep myself safe these days & im fully aware like Sam of the cruelty......I dont need the reminder as i would be 'out there' as this is what feeling i get, the need to take action positively....you just cant trust others to feel this way & there are alot of angry people out there & i fully understand why they get so wound up, but there is a small percentage who use it as an excuse to behave like total wankers!

I've been veggie since I was 14 and had quite a big awareness of animal cruelty and the like as my mum used to be involved with animal aid. Regarding animal cruelty I've only ever looked at pictures and refuse to watch films like the ones linked on other threads, and I won't even look at pictures even more.

Basically I'm curious as to why those of you who are already aware of this kind of stuff will still watch videos. Do you feel you need to keep being reminded that this is happening? Is it your duty to share the suffering? Honestly I don't understand as personally I find it so horrific and upsetting that it doesn't achieve anything for me. So why do you guys do it? And are there others like me who won't watch? If so, why not?

Chegzy
27-04--2006, 03:10 PM
there is no need to watch them but they are there for a reason, to shock people into trying to end animal cruelty

I recently showed my boss one after noting the fur collar on his coat but what did he do...walk in the office the next day
(wait ive totally contradicted myself there)

I dont think theyre a bad thing because they increase awareness but think that really you only ever need to see one once, and if it doesnt change your outlook then nothing will, if it does, youve been well informed enough to have the motivation to make things change

Rae
27-04--2006, 03:20 PM
I watched a bit of the video on the fur thing on the bbc the other day, I'm not sure why I watched it, because I have always made a point of not watching them. But I did, and I will not be doing so again.

But in a way I feel guilty for not watching them, because, just because I dont watch them it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And if you see a particular animal you are going to feel sorry for it and morn it, and maybe we should be doing that as no-one else will.

Chegzy
27-04--2006, 03:48 PM
And if you see a particular animal you are going to feel sorry for it and morn it, and maybe we should be doing that as no-one else will.
aww :hug:

Whirler
28-04--2006, 05:23 PM
Don't bash me please... :zipped:Oh, but it's so much fun!!! :whack: :D

Thank you for explaining Starlass - your reasons make a lot of sense to me.

I also feel that it is wrong but I know for me, watching those films won't change or even enhance that. And I agree that if you're going to pass those films on to others then you probably should watch them first.

watching a video like the Earthlings one is an unwelcome reinforcement that humanity really can be scum.See, I know that already (unfortunately! :()

Perhaps I am just a weirdo.:whistle: :harhar:

there is no need to watch them but they are there for a reason, to shock people into trying to end animal crueltyI agree. I was just interested in why individuals choose to watch them.

stardust
29-04--2006, 11:30 AM
i'm with sam on this one - i haven't watched a graphic video of animal cruelty for years. i have been veggie since i last watched one all the way through at 14 years old. it had the desired effect, i've never touched meat since and so dont see the point in watching them.

i cant go any more vegan than i am, so watching these videos acheives nothing apart from making me incredibly upset. wussy - maybe - but i would be more concerned if i could watch them with out getting distressed, because that would mean that part of my brain has become numb to the suffering of animals.

Starling
30-04--2006, 08:42 PM
I think in this situation, it's just each to their own. At the end of the day, we're all veggies. That's all that matters. :broc:

Whirler
30-04--2006, 08:53 PM
Absolutely. I'm always interested what motivates others and why one thing works for one but not for another.