PDA

View Full Version : Vegan dilemma!

Mercy
05-10--2005, 09:37 PM
Ok, guys, I have a problem and I thought maybe you could help me out...
If you didn't know, I'm vegan. Haven't eaten meat for nearly 5 years. But here is the problem...
I'm going off to uni soon to do Third World Development and eventually I want to work for an NGO overseas in Africa or South America. So, during my year out, I am going to work in Venezuala with a tribe and in an orphanage in Kenya. I have contacted the place I'm staying in Venezuala and they say it will be fine for me to be veggie (not vegan) over there, as we're living in a volunteer house where we sort our food out, which is great.
BUT, in Kenya, I'm staying in a place with no electricity, no running water and no beds...so I can't really be fussy about what I eat, as I'll be lucky to get what I'm given! So, it looks like eating meat will be on the cards. I know that this is what I will have to do, and will probably have to do more often when I eventually work over there full-time, but it's just a strange thing to get my head round, do you know what I mean?
I was wondering, do you reckon I'll have to ween myself back on to animal products a bit before I go, because I have a feeling that I will just puke the first few times I eat the stuff :barf: . And does anyone have any advice on finding meat that has been treated and killed humanely, because that is the only way I'm ever going to find eating meat slightly less repulsive.
Urgh...the thought of it makes me want to cry.

Quick, someone make poverty history now so I don't have to go through with it! :puppydog:

Claerie
06-10--2005, 07:42 PM
Sweet heart, don't worry!

A girl I know (who's vegan) has an animal charity which deals mainly with animals in Sri Lanka...

She's a strict vegan, but she too has to compromise her diet whilst abroad...

Do your best, you'll be fine, Don't make yourself ill, eat as ethically but as healthily as you can whilst there:)

You're doing a great thing, it's impossible to be perfect about everything all the time... don't worry, concentrate on the job at hand whilst there.

Good luck, Much love Clairexx

Claerie
06-10--2005, 08:11 PM
by the way... cream crackers are vegan:eek:

how does that figure?:o

tulip
06-10--2005, 09:45 PM
BUT, in Kenya, I'm staying in a place with no electricity, no running water and no beds...so I can't really be fussy about what I eat, as I'll be lucky to get what I'm given! So, it looks like eating meat will be on the cards. I know that this is what I will have to do, and will probably have to do more often when I eventually work over there full-time, but it's just a strange thing to get my head round, do you know what I mean?

Heya luv, just thought I'd give a tiny snippet of hope to you here... My mum was in Uganda for 2,5 months last spring with a group of ppl, working as a nurse etc. At least there a lot of the food they had was vegetarian, if not even vegan. A bunch of the girls in the group were vegetarians and were alright the whole time they were there, didn't have to eat meat once. Basically they ate a lot of veggie food there like beans, rice, sweet potatoes, fruits and stuff and I'm sure in Kenya it's about the same.

I really hope everything works out for you, and good luck with your time abroad, I'm glad someone's out there making a difference! :)

~lovetulip.

Dapablo
07-10--2005, 09:53 AM
I think in poor areas of the world the staples are pulses and veg., meat would be an expensive food item. Another way to rationalise your situation is to accept any offered foods with humility, I imagine they do not live lives where the luxury of choice has any relevance.

Enjoy yourself anyway. :)