PDA

View Full Version : Samhain celebrations - Avebury

Sarah
06-10--2005, 09:52 AM
As most of you know and for those who don't...

Samhain is the celebration that marks the end of the celtic year and the beginning of the new year.

There will be a fancy dress party to celebrate our ancestors and the end of the year at Avebury on the weekend of the 29th/30th of October. I am not sure what has been agreed with the NT (as they conveniently postponed autumn equinox to the weekend proceeding :confused: ) but I would have thought many people will actually stay past sunday and attend vigils on the 31st itself.

Please answer this thread if you are gonna come down to Avebury and also if you are bringing your winkles with you - can try and sort out some sort of creche thing if there are a few of us taking our children :)

We are gonna go down for the celebrations and we will be taking Charlie with us - Charlie was conceived at Samhain ;) so we have lots to celebrate :D

Love n Pumpkins

Sarah xxx

Firinne
06-10--2005, 10:30 AM
I'm hoping to make it, depends entirely on how long Tigerdaddy can be away from home ... if we do come we won't be staying 'til the 31st though - I need to be back on Dartmoor for the actual night.

beautiful_day
06-10--2005, 11:30 AM
Am at a rave in Shepton Mallett that weekend methinks...which of course isnt a million miles away from Avebury, but it will depend on whether im driving or train-ing it to shepton mallet and how dead i am after rave...

Sounds like a good event anyway :)

Atomik
06-10--2005, 12:16 PM
Arrrgghhhh!!!! Curse them!!!!!!

http://www.abledata.com/product_images/images/03A0625.jpg

Firinne
06-10--2005, 12:21 PM
Arrrgghhhh!!!! Curse them!!!!!!

No reason you can't come with them! We'll just have to find you a nice seat by the fire and wait on you hand and foot so Sam can have a weekend off :)

Atomik
06-10--2005, 12:26 PM
No reason you can't come with them! We'll just have to find you a nice seat by the fire and wait on you hand and foot so Sam can have a weekend off :)I'm tempted, but it's fucking hard work getting around on crutches at the mo. Plus I'd have nowhere to sleep, so it'd only be a short visit.

Firinne
06-10--2005, 12:30 PM
I'm tempted, but it's fucking hard work getting around on crutches at the mo. Plus I'd have nowhere to sleep, so it'd only be a short visit.

I've got a spare room in the tent if you & Sam want to come, I'll even bring an airbed for you and sort out some extra pillows to keep your leg up :)

G'wan, you know you want to ..

Atomik
06-10--2005, 12:32 PM
I've got a spare room in the tent if you & Sam want to come, I'll even bring an airbed for you and sort out some extra pillows to keep your leg up :)

G'wan, you know you want to ..That must be a fucking big tent! I'm kinda tempted, but I'm not sure about the wisdom of sleeping outdoors at this stage. I also think I might get bored pretty quickly if I can't move around.

stormypagan
06-10--2005, 12:33 PM
Was there last year when I lived nearer but can't this year as I am about 400 miles away and a bit pregnant at the mo, not that that matters so much. So off locally to Castlerigg or long meg :0)

Sad time of year for me though, coz Lewis's dad took his life on the 31st October 2003 so always going to be sad time too. But have to say Avebury helped heal me beautifully last year, 'specially after this guy gave me some healing with the haunting sounds of his native american flutes :0)

Have a great time you guys, will think of you where ever we end up :0)

Tigerdaddy
06-10--2005, 03:53 PM
I'm hoping to make it, depends entirely on how long Tigerdaddy can be away from home ... if we do come we won't be staying 'til the 31st though - I need to be back on Dartmoor for the actual night.

Oops! Forgot about this, have half agreed to go to a (whispers quietly) Goth gig in Bristol. :eek: That's the problem with having a foot in both tribes you can lose your footing too easily. Nothing is definite so count me in or out or........ :zipped:

Sarah
06-10--2005, 04:02 PM
Am at a rave in Shepton Mallett that weekend methinks...which of course isnt a million miles away from Avebury, but it will depend on whether im driving or train-ing it to shepton mallet and how dead i am after rave...

Sounds like a good event anyway :)

Erm :confused: why ain't the details of this rave being shared?????

Shepton Mallet is about 12 miles away from here and I do like to rave :wink3: If you are raving on the Friday then I could possibly offer you a lift down to Avebury on the Saturday if you are training it :)

Firinne
06-10--2005, 04:02 PM
Oops! Forgot about this, have half agreed to go to a (whispers quietly) Goth gig in Bristol. :eek: That's the problem with having a foot in both tribes you can lose your footing too easily. Nothing is definite so count me in or out or........ :zipped:
We'll count you in then, shall we? ;)

Firinne
06-10--2005, 04:04 PM
That must be a fucking big tent! I'm kinda tempted, but I'm not sure about the wisdom of sleeping outdoors at this stage. I also think I might get bored pretty quickly if I can't move around.

It's a 4 man 2 bedroom tent, so lots of room for everyone!
Sleeping outdoors might be an issue, I doubt boredom would be with us lot around though :wink3:

Tigerdaddy
06-10--2005, 04:05 PM
We'll count you in then, shall we? :rolleyes:

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no oh whatever. :insane:

Atomik
06-10--2005, 04:06 PM
It's a 4 man 2 bedroom tent, so lots of room for everyone!
Sleeping outdoors might be an issue, I doubt boredom would be with us lot around though :wink3:That's not a tent. That's a portable house! Hmmm. I'll have a think about it. I'm very tempted, coz I just can't get enough of Avebury (done three major photo sessions there this year alone!). I might just pop down for the day even. Bleedin' crutches!

Firinne
06-10--2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no oh whatever. :insane:

I shall duly remove your right to call me disorganised, you big jesse! :harhar:

Tigerdaddy
06-10--2005, 04:09 PM
I shall duly remove your right to call me disorganised, you big jesse! :harhar:

Oooh handbags! :bones:

Firinne
06-10--2005, 04:10 PM
That's not a tent. That's a portable house! Hmmm. I'll have a think about it. I'm very tempted, coz I just can't get enough of Avebury (done three major photo sessions there this year alone!). I might just pop down for the day even. Bleedin' crutches!

It definitely feels like one when you're trying to put it up at closing time ;)

Come for the day if you think sleeping outside will be a problem, you could always join us for dinner afterwards and we can make up for it by organising a proper forum meet when you're all recovered :)

Firinne
06-10--2005, 04:11 PM
Oooh handbags! :bones:

Well, if you insist ... but don't men that carry those get picked on dear? :harhar:

Dready Warrior
06-10--2005, 07:35 PM
i might come down but will have to see nearer the time.....

beautiful_day
11-10--2005, 02:26 PM
Erm :confused: why ain't the details of this rave being shared?????

Shepton Mallet is about 12 miles away from here and I do like to rave :wink3: If you are raving on the Friday then I could possibly offer you a lift down to Avebury on the Saturday if you are training it :)

Oh its not a 'real/illegal/crazy' rave...its one of them Slammin Vinyl things...they used to hold the raves in Milton keynes one every few months but they moved earlier this year to Shepton Mallett...nice place...erm tickets are on sale now about 30 squid and its from 8 till 6 the next morning busses and all that crap available usually pick you up from castle cary station and drive you out to the site in shepton mallett and then return you to the station the next morning...of course if you have a car none of that applies :p i find the train less hassle than driving up there from coventry though. Long distance drives = :vomit:

And damn the rave is on the saturday as far as i know :( will be at a mates house in Bath on the Friday so thats a bit of bad timing, but thanks for the offer!

if anyone knows any good places to check on a night out in Bath then let me know though please :p :)

kEEp meaning to go to these avebury festival events and a samhain one sounded excellent!! one day though...when would the next event be thats taking place there? any ideas? would it be the winter solstice or something?

:)

Dapablo
11-10--2005, 02:40 PM
I am gonna try to get this one together. I will ask Shannon, her birthday is Oct 31st and she loves being a witch, just can't wait for Hogwarts. :)

Atomik
11-10--2005, 04:23 PM
but they moved earlier this year to Shepton Mallett...nice place...I work in Shepton Mallet :mrgreen:

Sarah
11-10--2005, 07:44 PM
if anyone knows any good places to check on a night out in Bath then let me know though please :p :)

kEEp meaning to go to these avebury festival events and a samhain one sounded excellent!! one day though...when would the next event be thats taking place there? any ideas? would it be the winter solstice or something?

:)

awww hope you have a great time at the event :D good places to check out in Bath are Moles Club (up near the circus) and Babylon (behind the bus station).

TREASON
12-10--2005, 12:24 PM
we'll be at avebury

Whirler
12-10--2005, 04:33 PM
I need to be back on Dartmoor for the actual night.Mmmmmm Dartmoor - where abouts will you be? Thanks for your offer of a sleeping space and stuff, hopefully we'll make it just to say hi and for some rigorous piss-taking of the crutches!! :reddevil:

Firinne
12-10--2005, 05:56 PM
Mmmmmm Dartmoor - where abouts will you be? Thanks for your offer of a sleeping space and stuff, hopefully we'll make it just to say hi and for some rigorous piss-taking of the crutches!! :reddevil:

I'll be doing the Samhain ritual up at the Dewerstone for the first time :)

Hopefully see you guys at Avebury, shall have to see if we can get Stu properly legless (*comedy drum roll effects*) ;)

Atomik
12-10--2005, 06:01 PM
Hopefully see you guys at Avebury, shall have to see if we can get Stu properly legless (*comedy drum roll effects*) ;):help:

Firinne
12-10--2005, 06:10 PM
:help:

C'mon Stu, no one's going to help you given the knowledge they'd have a mischievious Firinne in trickster mode hot on their tail :harhar:

Atomik
12-10--2005, 06:11 PM
C'mon Stu, no one's going to help you given the knowledge they'd have a mischievious Firinne in trickster mode hot on their tail :harhar::oops:

Dready Warrior
12-10--2005, 07:40 PM
as it is the bristol vegan fair on the saturday which i plan to go to i will be coming to avebury on the sunday for a few hours..... although i could just bring the van and come straight from bristol of course..... hum will see how i feel on the day!

Firinne
13-10--2005, 12:10 AM
Looks like there should be a good few of us! :broc:

Sarah
13-10--2005, 12:41 PM
:D can't wait to meet you all :D

Dready Warrior
13-10--2005, 07:51 PM
cool mini uk hippy forums meet! :broc: looking forward to meeting you all :D

Sarah
01-11--2005, 05:58 PM
Well I never saw anyone from UK Hippy although I did keep me eyes open. We kept ourselves pretty much to ourselves this time it has to be said. Had ourselves a nice little site down on the grassy knoll near the gate at the carpark and had real pumpkin lanterns and a lovely fire pit made out of an old washing machine.. the carpark crew staked-ut at the paddock gate couldn't keep their fire alight hahahaha:tease:

Our family drummed saturday night away in Hannah's ambulance and then Andy's merc - was bloody excellent and I am going to treat myself to a big djembe (sp chk) as I seem to have a knack :carrot:

We dined on pheasant and pigeon casserole and apple and raspberry crumble and it was a fuckin brilliant weekend :D

Dapablo
02-11--2005, 09:13 AM
Nice to hear you had a good one. Bit to damp to have a fire our end, still had a couple of friends, guitars and drums, did our best.

crap muppet
02-11--2005, 09:33 AM
Well I never saw anyone from UK Hippy although I did keep me eyes open. We kept ourselves pretty much to ourselves this time it has to be said. Had ourselves a nice little site down on the grassy knoll near the gate at the carpark and had real pumpkin lanterns and a lovely fire pit made out of an old washing machine.. the carpark crew staked-ut at the paddock gate couldn't keep their fire alight hahahaha:tease:

Our family drummed saturday night away in Hannah's ambulance and then Andy's merc - was bloody excellent and I am going to treat myself to a big djembe (sp chk) as I seem to have a knack :carrot:

We dined on pheasant and pigeon casserole and apple and raspberry crumble and it was a fuckin brilliant weekend :D

Glad all went well! If thats the bit of washing machine Andy nabbed back in Wokingham a few months back its good that he is making use of it.

That casserole sounds fecking gorgeous... Unlucky for Si (I heard his got nabbed?).

You got photo's? How was Pixie and crew?

Sarah
02-11--2005, 03:13 PM
Glad all went well! If thats the bit of washing machine Andy nabbed back in Wokingham a few months back its good that he is making use of it. yep one and the same - it works brilliantly as a fire basket

That casserole sounds fecking gorgeous... Unlucky for Si (I heard his got nabbed?). it was bloody lush matey - yeah Jiffer ate Si's 'cos Andy left the pot ont floor (it was the liberty cap's fault not his ;) ) mwahaha

You got photo's? How was Pixie and crew? No photo's as didn't take the digi cam erm briefly saw Pix and Del getting out of their car and chucking instruments over their backs before heading to the pub but never spent any time with them.. saw them last weekend down Glasters though and they and Galley were in fine spirits :)

TREASON
25-11--2005, 02:46 PM
bit late i know.

im sorry

TREASON
25-11--2005, 02:52 PM
boooo!!! i seen your status go from veiwing this thread then next time it said MODERATING
fair enough, i seen the pic on someone elses profile. dont blame me.

Atomik
25-11--2005, 02:53 PM
I've removed the photo in your last post. If you want to include such images, please do so as a link.